It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Game of Thrones/HBO apologize for Bush's head on stake in season 1....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I know this thread won't get much attention due to the interest in the CT shooting and the long awaited Dec.21 date...
But this made me laugh when I realized the mistake, er not a mistake. Politics at play I guess even in movies that have nothing to do with our current modern world.

June 14, 2012

It was a prop. But it looked like the former president.

Here's what happened: Show creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss said that they used a fake decapitated head when Joffrey (Jack Gleeson) shows Sansa Stark (Sophie Turner) a row of traitors' heads on pikes.

"People may not have noticed this but back up ... the last head on the left is George Bush," the creators say in a DVD commentary for Season 1. "George Bush's head appears in a couple of beheading scenes."

'Game of Thrones' showrunners, HBO apologize for Bush head

Now Benioff and Weiss have issued a statement explaining that it was just a case of bargain prop buying. They "can't afford" to have props made from scratch, so "we rent them in bulk. ... After the scene was already shot, someone pointed out that one of the heads looked like George W. Bush. In the DVD commentary, we mentioned this, though we should not have. ... We meant no disrespect to the former President and apologize if anything we said or did suggested otherwise."

In its own statement, HBO says, "We were deeply dismayed to see this and find it unacceptable, disrespectful and in very bad taste. We made this clear to the executive producers of the series who apologized immediately for this inadvertent careless mistake." The cable channel said it will have the scene removed from any future DVD production.

I've seen that scene a bunch being as I'm a fan of this series and never did I pay any attention to this, until now.

Glad to know there is no partisan politics in Hollywood.

Can you imagine the hell they would have endured had that been Obama?
But then again, they are on the Obama team.....

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

reply to post by snarky412

My son has just given the season 1 set as an early xmas present. You wouldn't happen to know which episode it is in would you please?

edit on 20/12/12 by JAK because: Full quote of preceeding post removed, 'reply to' function used.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Yeah, there was a big deal about it a few months ago. A lot of threads were made that got out of hand with the Left/Right nonsense.

Great series though, I haven't watched the show but I've read all the books. Now we're going to have to wait another five years for the next book.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412
I know this thread won't get much attention due to the interest in the CT shooting and the long awaited Dec.21 date...
But this made me laugh when I realized the mistake, er not a mistake. Politics at play I guess even in movies that have nothing to do with our current modern world.
Glad to know there is no partisan politics in Hollywood.

Can you imagine the hell they would have endured had that been Obama?
But then again, they are on the Obama team.....

Hi snarky, I reckon it's great that this topic hasn't got anything to do with doomsday or any recent violence. It's good to just have a light hearted topic for a change. Even though it cost me 20 ats brownie points because I placed your total OP as a quote and was told that it was too long, then when I posted how I felt the mod was being petty that post was alao removed. But heck what can I say, they pay the bills.

I wonder if this will get the same action since I have ensured that it "is" on topic with my added flavour.
Regarding Bush, I reckon it's one of the best pics of him ever. Only outdone by one that I saw of him reading a book to a bunch of ids ..... but the book was upside down and another that showed him looking through a pair of binoculars but the lens caps were still on

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
double post
edit on 20/12/12 by steve1709 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I really don't like Game of Thrones, but come on. This just seems silly, it's almost a sketch comedy skit concept if t wasn't so absurd. They put a fake head on a stick that, from the side and slightly behind, obscured by long hair, looks a little like George W. Bush. We didn't see it from the front, chances are from a differen angle it wouldn't look anything remotely like him. So, they have to apologize because people don't use common sense? Yeesh.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

I thought that head looked awfully familiar!
I think it's funny as heck, but then again I do have a warped sense of humor! Also, I'm a Republican and I still think it's funny! They ought to start using other "famous heads" on the show. I can hardly wait for season 3- spring can't get here soon enough!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Kind of hard to tell from the side.

comical none the less

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I think it's funny as heck, but then again I do have a warped sense of humor!

Gee, sounds like somebody else I know......

OFF TOPIC
ETA: Here it is, Dec. 20 @ 8:02 and on my reply to you, the number of posts to date was 1,111....cue in twilight music. Hope it's not an omen or any thing. [sarcasm]

edit on 20-12-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Sending you a tinfoil hat for protection!

top topics

join