It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

400+ Geminid Meteors over Ohio - Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
John Chumack (galacticimages.com) captured a stunning array of meteors from December 11th to the 14th, 2012. Scientists believe none of these survived to impact the ground.source

400+ Bright Geminid Meteors Captured on Video! 2012 is The Best Geminid Shower I have ever captured in 25 years of shooting! This is a 3 night sequence with 2 cameras running! I compressed the video clip to 5 frames per second, so you should be able to watch the whole thing in about 1 minute & 36 seconds. One hell of a ride at this frame rate! -John Chumack
source

From video description:

Here is my video clip of over 400 Geminid Meteors burning up over my backyard observatory in Dayton, Ohio USA. basically 3 nights from the evening of 12-11-2012 until the Morning of 12-14-2012. I used low light B&W video cameras mount on my house to captured the meteors. This year's display was amazing...In the 20 years of imaging all the showers, this was the Best Display of the Geminid Meteor Showers I have ever seen!

Here is an earlier video

The Geminid Meteor Shower has arrived, here are 86 bright Geminid Meteors burning up on the Night of 12-11-2012 until the Morning of 12-12-2012, I witnessed a fury of activity between 2:00am and 5:00am...keep watching its not over yet, we will see many more in the next few nights! Starting around midnight start looking East towards the Constellation of Gemini look for Castor and Pollux the Twins, brightest stars in Gemini! Stars! The video shows Geminid Meteors captured by two low light video cameras mount on my backyard Observatory in Dayton, Ohio USA. One camera looking at Zenith and West, the bright star moving through the center of the frame is the Planet Jupiter along with some 40 meteors. In the second half of the video clip the other camera was pointing East, and I captured 46 meteors burning up over my Neighbor's roof and chimney! 86 Meteors total. Not bad for an early start to the 2012 Geminid Shower. The Peak will be on the night of the 13th to the 14th of December 2012. They are estimating 100 meteors per hour...I'll definitely have my cameras running again!
Dress warm, I froze my butt off last night!

edit on 12/20/2012 by mcx1942 because: edit

edit on 12/20/2012 by mcx1942 because: edit

edit on 12/20/2012 by mcx1942 because: edited

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
EXCELLENT COMPILATION!!!!! Thank you for your effort , very impressive !

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ujustneverknow

My pleasure.

I'm a pretty huge space geek so I wanted to share these with my pals at ATS.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mcx1942

From one space geek to another, good work and effort on the video

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
This is very cool...
Thank You OP.

P.S. Santa, if you're reading this, I want some cool toys like that to play with too

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by BreathOfFreshAir
This is very cool...
Thank You OP.

P.S. Santa, if you're reading this, I want some cool toys like that to play with too

You can track Santa here In The Footsteps Of Santa Claus
edit on 20-12-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I wish the frame rate was a little higher, but nice video nonetheless.

top topics

join