It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask Me Anything... Sandy Hook shooter and Asperger's syndrome....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
As we have seen, there has been a tendency in the mass media to label Newbury, CT mass murderer Adam Lanza as someone who suffered from Asperger's Syndrome, an often misunderstood type of autism.

Aspies are not psychotic, anti-social, or many of the other attributes that are arbitrarily assigned to us.

Kindly accept this as an invitation (that I would never accept in real life, lol,) to ask an Aspie anything about what my life was like growing up, or what it is today.

As an opening, I will posit that my personal perspective of others is NOT one that would result in my diminishing anyone as a person -- while I don't always understand why someone acts towards others the way that whey do, I can sort out why they act that way.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
First off it's Newtown, CT. Are you saying you are diagnosed as Aspie?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Were you there?

If not, there is nothing to ask.

Peace

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Many people with Aspergers have been in the media, especially in the UK, for internet 'crimes', usually malicious trolling. I had a friend with Aspergers who would do his utmost to get my ex to have a go at me, and me at him. It ended up in the police getting involved.
I'm not saying Aspie's are all malicious buggers, I'm just saying because your condition manifests itself in one way, doesn't mean it the same for everyone.
It's a form of Autism which is already a very broad condition.

How can you speak for all people with Aspergers when a common complaint of the condition is that you can't understand people's motives or reactions?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
What is it like having a label that is looked at negatively by our society today?

while I don't always understand why someone acts towards others the way that whey do, I can sort out why they act that way.

Wouldn't this

I can sort out why they act that way.

Explain this?

I don't always understand why someone acts towards others the way that whey do

You got me confused already.

Maybe I need some sleep.
edit on 20-12-2012 by SyntheticPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by summer5
First off it's Newtown, CT. Are you saying you are diagnosed as Aspie?

Oopsies on the town name, sorry

Yes, I was diagnosed as having Asperger's Syndrome by a psychologist about seven years ago. It didn't have much of an impact on my life, apart from finally knowing what was "wrong" with me.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie
How can you speak for all people with Aspergers when a common complaint of the condition is that you can't understand people's motives or reactions?

I don't think that I can speak for everyone who has Asperger's, obviously, but I think that there is a big difference between sociopathy, as the Sandy Hook shooter seemed to exhibit, and the difficulties that Aspies have in relating to other people. While I have troubles understanding and interacting with people at times, I have never lacked sympathy for them, and among my circle of friends who are also Aspies, I've not seen any disregard for others.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SyntheticPerception

What is it like having a label that is looked at negatively by our society today?

The biggest problem is explaining it to people
Autism is a spectrum, and Asperger's is a spectrum within that spectrum, so when I tell people that I have AS, it's usually met with a fair amount of confusion, because for most people, autism is the "off in their own world, doesn't interact" extreme. Because I've learned to hide my predilection for weirdness, and I live in a culture that finds my abnormal way of seeing the world profitable, I'm viewed by most people as a normal, successful person, whereas a hundred years ago, I'd likely have been seen as a kook.

while I don't always understand why someone acts towards others the way that whey do, I can sort out why they act that way.

Wouldn't this

I can sort out why they act that way.

Explain this?

I don't always understand why someone acts towards others the way that whey do

You got me confused already.

Hmm... yeah, that's a bit contradictory, lol. What I meant was that most people just intuitively know why others do or say the things that they do, but I have to "figure it out". Over the years, I've gotten pretty good at that, but I'll still find myself confused or disinterested in the motivations of others at times, and that tends to cause problems with people who don't know me, usually because I don't recognize that something is important to someone and I just dismiss it.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Many people with Aspergers have been in the media, especially in the UK, for internet 'crimes', usually malicious trolling. I had a friend with Aspergers who would do his utmost to get my ex to have a go at me, and me at him. It ended up in the police getting involved.
I'm not saying Aspie's are all malicious buggers, I'm just saying because your condition manifests itself in one way, doesn't mean it the same for everyone.
It's a form of Autism which is already a very broad condition.

You're right autism is a very broad diagnosis, with Aspergers officially now being put on the "high functioning" end of that.

Aspies can be very intent and systematic observers of human behavior, and when coupled with a (varying) lack of empathy this can make them very manipulative. Sometimes, just for the sake of curiosity, and sometimes because they are angry and disaffected when their condition makes socialization difficult. This happens, I won't deny it, but that is a common phenomenon across the board--from aspies to "normal" people to the truly delusional and deranged... Bit of the chicken or the egg in that, but that is another topic.

I'm sorry that your friend did that, but in my experience, that malicious sort of manipulation is not as prevalent in aspies as neurotypicals. However, when those on the spectrum do manifest it, it can be very... Sadistic, even sociopathic, and certainly strikes a chord with people and gets noticed.

Also, I would like to mention that autism has gotten a great deal of press in the last few years, and I suspect that there is a certain amount of scapegoating going on in the media and general social mood.

I don't think he is claiming to speak for all people with Aspergers, or at least that is not his intent. I think he is trying (albeit somewhat clumsily) to give people access to someone else with aspergers that may be able to clarify the shooters motives, since so many people are asking "why?" and "how could he?" Also, I think he may be trying to present someone on the spectrum who is not nuttier-than-squirrel-poop, so maybe people will stop freaking out. What the OP'er may not realize is that people don't really want to understand, they want someone to blame right now, and they will resist understanding while they are hurting, and if this blame train keeps on rolling that may only get worse.

This is one of those motives and reactions of neurotypicals that I don't understand, by the way, but it is a consistent pattern of behavior.

To clarify, (in case it is needed) I am diagnosed aspergers.

edit on 20-12-2012 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join