It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Marine Stands Guard At Daughters School

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A former Marine and father of two decided to help ease his daughter's fears after the tragic school shooting in Connecticut late last week by standing guard outside her west Nashville school.

www.wkrn.com...

Mad respect here! He's even in uniform!

Hope word gets out to others, or maybe it already has but this was the first one to be reported because it's only been a few days? I hope police and school officials do not intervene, but you know they will with the politics of it all.

edit on 19-12-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Ha Ha I knew I should have posted here before posting on FB. You beat me to it.

This guy is what it is all about. he may not be able to do anything but act as a deterrent but to do it in order to make the children feel safer is simply awesome.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
This is a very noble cause by this guy, and much respect, but you know anti-gun people will be along to tell you how he could be a lunatic, and how they wouldn't feel safe with him there.

You know, the whole politically correct thing.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
to bad he isnt armed, not sure what he will accomplish if someone with guns rolls up

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
to bad he isnt armed, not sure what he will accomplish if someone with guns rolls up

Hes a deterrent. Hes helping his daughter, and any other Parent or child who fears insanity. I am 100% sure the school is on board with this. I think this is Awesome!

S&F

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Not saying its a bad things just saying, if it were me rolling up on a school to shoot a bunch of people and I see an unarmed marine I wuold just shoot him and keep on moving, not sure what he would really accomplish. Now if he was standing there with his m16 and a sidearm I might have second thoughts about it.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Good on the devil dog for doing what he can to make the kids feel better. I agree. Give this man a shotgun and put one just like him at the door of every school in the country. It would be a fantastic bridge back to civilian life for our recently-discharged soldiers, *and* provide them with a job.

Though I imagine some jackwagon will be along shortly to berate him for wearing the uniform.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

I think these shooters are Cowards. Man dressed in a uniform? Bet you he thinks long and hard, before approaching........

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Even if he isn't armed and has no official position...

To his daughter he is the beacon of trust and protection she so desperately needs. And that's all that matters.

Peace

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
well did this school not have a safety officer? my middle/high schools had a cop that was at the school all the time watching out for # going down or in case in high school if there was fights or something like weapons/drugs he could be there to take care of it. I mean yah I guess someone could slip past him since he would patrol in his car around the school then walk around in the morning and afternoon inside where there were most kids in the halls and stuff. But still having at cop at the school iwould think would be a good deterant..

I see no issues with having a couple marines at the schools they would be doing more of a service to the people then fighting these bull# wars.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
The fact that he's NOT armed made me wonder what the open-carry laws are in Tennessee. Turns out they're extremely complicated--to the point of being essentially useless:

Tennessee Firearms Association: Civilian Handgun Permit Law

The Tennessee Carry Permit Law In A Nutshell

As a result of the changes in the handgun permit laws from 1994 through 1997, Tennessee issues civilian handgun carry permits that have the following general attributes:

the initial application fee is $115 (cash) and requires the successful completion of a state certified handgun training course prior to making application for the permit;

· the state must respond to the application within 90 days by either issuing the permit
or notifying the applicant of any problems with the application;
· renewal fees are $50 and, like a driver’s license, do not require further training or
qualifications as a condition of renewal;
· the handgun permit is good for four years;
· the handgun permit is good “statewide;”
· the handgun permit is good for any handgun that the permit holder legally owns or possesses; and
· the handgun permit is not a concealed weapon permit.

The Tennessee civilian handgun permit is largely useless because a permit holder remains burdened with a patchwork of restrictions, prohibitions, conditions and traps set by the Tennessee Legislature, local governments, and the federal government. As a result of that patchwork of regulations and restrictions, a permit holder cannot rely upon the handgun permit as a means of enabling him or her to legally have a handgun readily available whenever and wherever it may be needed.

What use can be made of a handgun for self-defense if the permit holder is effectively disarmed by governmental enactment of questionable constitutionality? Resolving this problem is one of the missions of the Tennessee Firearms Association’s members.

edit on 12/19/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
This is nice. If he was armed and ordered to be there by his superiors somehow I would feel less warm and fuzzy about it though.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Active duty or otherwise, this bloke deserves a Medal of Honour.

Righteousness - truly the face of the American Military.

This man, THIS MAN, is a Legend!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Hes a deterrent. Hes helping his daughter, and any other Parent or child who fears insanity. I am 100% sure the school is on board with this. I think this is Awesome!

S&F

How are unarmed parents standing in front of a school any sort of deterrent in any way? And obviously any shooter will know they are unarmed because it is a "gun free" zone. It is nice of this guy and all but accomplishes nothing.

Gs
edit on 19-12-2012 by GermanShep because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-12-2012 by GermanShep because: add

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Great.. Now ignorant parents nationwide will start begging for armed troops outside of their schools..

The media weapons frenzy and govt compliance in the anti gun conspiracy is making people lose it....

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I don't know guys....

I see the positive side, but look at the negatives:

* He might provoke an attack by a twisted mind who hates soldiers.

* If I was walking around my children's school and I saw a guy out in front wearing camo (especially after Sandy Hook), I might tackle and subdue the guy.

ETA: He kind of looks like he is enjoying the attention a little too much.
edit on 19-12-2012 by UnaChispa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I love he is doing this for his daughter. What a great Dad! Awesome!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

well done! Good on him.
Brilliant... this is a lot better than reading the other thread where some other Parents gave their six year old a loaded gun and sent him to school.

bring on the protectors!! s & f from me.

this is the way soce fights back and proves itself virtuous, preventing things from happening not banning the responsible civilians the right to own a gun/bear arms.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Good for him. Whether he is armed or not, it is the sense of security, the symbolism that he and the uniform provides, that offers an atmosphere of safety and an ease of mind to both him and his daughter, and perhaps to many others. Should anyone attack the school, they would have to risk an encounter with him first, or forfeit their element of surprise attempting to subdue him.

well did this school not have a safety officer? my middle/high schools had a cop that was at the school all the time watching out for # going down or in case in high school if there was fights or something like weapons/drugs he could be there to take care of it.

I know in my city, there are armed guards even in the supermarkets, and in some drug stores. Although, about maybe a week ago, one of the local CVS's was robbed, so they probably have security now. Sandy Hook was probably one of those peaceful little places where no one thought that crime, never mind a mass shooting,
at an elementary school, could happen there.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

yes, it is insane that he is not allowed to carry; all security personnel in AU are armed.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join