It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If There Was a Giant Meteor Hurdling Towards a Populated part of Earth, What Would We Do?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
being in a boat might seem a good idea simply because of any flooding event you can float away. but you have to factor in what a tsunami wave would be like. even if a metoer hit land. the impact would send chunks flying into the ocean which would cause tsunamis of some size.. if not having to dodge the chunks anyway.

waves from tsunamis are huge. and erratic. and a boat can only take so much force and angle.. lets say you somehow ride up a steep high wall of water... what happens when you reach the top... lets assuming one of two things... either you hit near the top but it flips you back on yourself. or you are at such a steep angle, that when the wave passes. you are left floating in air... down you come... splash. crash... youd be lucky if you survive..

no honestly i think the only way to ensure you had a minimal chance would be if you had a combination of boat and plane... lets thing of perhaps.. an airboat..... first tho you have to ensure you are flying over the waves... or have sufficient control that if you are riding said wave, that you can keep flying and not stall...

second the air would most likely be contaminated with dust or other dangerous things... so you would have to also then land on water. or land as necessary..

no honestly the best and only bet for a giant metoer is a spaceship, with enough air and food to last a few weeks if not months till theres some kind of settling... tho most likely earth will be dead anyway.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
The joking side of me says start drinking again.

The seriouser side says not sure.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Hope it lands on america and obama.

This would bring Peace to the rest of the World.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by RivingtonRebel
Would the world work together to stop it?
Would we try to shoot it with a rocket?
Would we let it fall?
What would we do?

We'd do the same as we're doing now....because we would NEVER be told....I don't believe "WE" would ever work together to stop it.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I dunno but hopefully it would crash into the Cayman Islands....

...the look on the Rich tax dodgers faces would be priceless.

When they come back up out of their bunkers that is.

C...

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by RivingtonRebel
Would the world work together to stop it?
Would we try to shoot it with a rocket?
Would we let it fall?
What would we do?

Depends on how big it is. If it's huge then we can do nothing - apart from to throw a giant end-of-the-world party!

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I would buy a couple bottles of the best wine I could get my hands on, and then a couple packs of cigarettes (which I quit a year ago).
Some part of me is kinda hoping that happens so I can do that.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
700 birds gorge themselves in a romanian city. A meteor hits siberia. RFID chips.

For those that know about the last book of the bible "loading", I believe things that are in the last book of the bible are going to happen within 1 or 2 years apart from each other. If you understand revelations through and through, now is the time to not be hot or cold in "loading" and put this planet out of its misery.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
A GIANT meteor? As in ... TEOTWAWKI size?

I'd go to Dunk'n Donuts and get an extra large coffee with french vanilla creme and nutmeg sprinkled in it. And I'd also have an entire chocolate cake with fudgy frosting and vanilla icecream on the side ... with syrup and whipped creme ....

Heck .. i'd eat everything that I haven't been able to eat for the past three years due to Sjogrens .. I'd stuff myself full over and over ... and I wouldn't worry about the effects on my autoimmune disease because, by the time the bad effects kicked in ... I'd be dead from the meteor anyways.

reply to post by buddha

yeah, right. If you believe that then ....

edit on 2/26/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
At the moment of impact, open your mouth so that the pressure on your eardrums will equalize. That's all I've got for this scenario.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Remember when Shoemaker/Levi 9 pounded Jupiter?That should have been a wake up call for a planetary defense.But of course the madmen are running the asylum for a long time now.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Same thing as I did yesterday when the tornado sirens went off. Sit on the porch and go down with the ship. This house is still standing after 106 years and I'm not much of a run and hide person anymore.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The House is having a hearing on threats from space as we speak over on Breakingnews.com
It's at the top of the page.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I would be living my life, like i'm doing now: as if it were the last day of my life. What else could be done? I think it would be an honor to be destroyed by nature!
Poof! And it's over!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
A giant asteroid?
We'd know nothing, no warning.
We all die one day.
Quickest is best.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I'd probably freak out pretty hardcore at first. If the event was going to be the big one then I would probably do as others here have said; drink, smoke, run my credit card bills up and find some place to watch the show. I have to admit I am super curious as to what is going to be the eventual fate of humankind so it would be interesting to see what goes down.
Actually I don't believe there is the slightest chance that we, the common folk, would be told so we probably won't have to worry about this.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I have a feeling the Russians, Chinese, Americans etc... the whole 'civilized' world would work together in firing literally everything they could at it. I'm talking every single available craft that can enter space laced with all forms of thermonuclear weaponry.

Mass production of lasers and all kinds of kooky projects would begin in researching how to utterly pulverize all rocks while average people would be forced to either freak out or experiment themselves..

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by RivingtonRebel

It probably is the most serious threat to our civilisation , there is zero I could do personally.
I sometimes wonder if black budget secret stuff has this under under their umbrella, due to the secret tech side of things it cant be released publically.
Should that be the case- give them more I say.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
When 'if' can turn into 'when'.

I find this hard to swallow because it's remote viewing. But here it is anyway....

www.rvcommunity.net...

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Compare NASA's deep impact mission copper slug in terms of size, weight, volume, to what is publicly known of nuclear warheads currently (or perhaps recently decomissioned) in the U.S. stockpile. I think you'll be surprised. It's too dang uncanny. (And for a certain size threshold, this may be better than nothing. Frag with as much spread as possible and hope Earth's atmosphere gets the rest. Unfortunately if whatever's coming is too big that still wont work.)

From the way I look at it, the entire Deep Impact "science" mission was a dry run. At least we know we can hit an inbound with enough advance warning. It's been done and proven. But that's only part of it. The other half having the same mission with an actual big boom involved is still untested though.

As for other preparedness. Move assets to the geography you believe will be least affected. Other than that, choose the most hardened locations with the best bunkers. Obviously you don't put all your eggs in one basket if that's where you think the shotgun is pointed.

In terms of what is known regarding comets/asteroids. Predictable NEO orbits are one thing, provided they're stable. The big bugaboo that you might want to keep secret is if they're suspected of fragmenting on inbound approach to the sun. If they pull a Shoemaker-Levy as they round that corner, those bits will fan out and because all the masses are now different it also breaks the original orbit prediction model. Sounds horrible, but if somebody can explain where I'm wrong on that, please do.

Basically, you can only do so much. Depends on how much knowledge/resources you have.
edit on 7-9-2013 by pauljs75 because: a few more details/making a point/etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join