It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take that Chrome and your little Windows too!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I thought some might find it cute while it clarifies a misunderstanding at the same time. I can't speak for anyone else here, but I've been calling it Winblows when I don't like it at least back to when this was on the shelf. I think I still have it in a box somewhere with Zork and some of the other actual floppy disk type things I kept.

I hope I did keep it actually....as I turn everything to Linux, I imagine I can run some of those old things again.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Going back to DOS when you had to worry about IRQs, Quaterdeck Mem Manager , 640k and making sure your prompt looked cool..Oh and Wing Commander II !!!!It only made sense that Microsoft did the smart thing and that was sell to the general masses because after all..they are a business.

Im not putting down either OS ...LInux has its spot in the world and Microsoft OS's run most of the businessprofessional world ..Well Microsoft and Cisco IOS at this point! Don't get me wrong, I have my install of Mint running next to me so i get the appeal..I also have my work laptop on Win7 logged in and Im working on various Microsoft apps right now.

Until you find a way for open source or msft to make a better end user their is no such thing as a secure system ..Unless you go all BSG and dont network to anything. =)

edit on 26-12-2012 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I thought some might find it cute while it clarifies a misunderstanding at the same time. I can't speak for anyone else here, but I've been calling it Winblows when I don't like it at least back to when this was on the shelf. I think I still have it in a box somewhere with Zork and some of the other actual floppy disk type things I kept.

Zork and Bards Tale took too much of my time growing up.. =(

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
How about a couple solid points? Since the days of Windows 3.1 and the move off command prompt DOS (I spent nearly a year mastering DOS....just so they could make it all meaningless.. ahh..my first dislike for MS came young!
) they've been making Windows more and more idiot proof.
It's not meaningless, you can still use most of the old DOS commands if you want, I use them a lot to automate file operations (I haven't had the time to learn powershell).

No biggy except that at the same time, they've taken that route exclusively. I need to go to Windows home website and DOWNLOAD things like Autoruns and the rest of the Internals suite when all of that should be box copy integrated for the O/S.
Sysinternals' tools are great, I have been using them for a long time.

Or...My personal favorite and why I've honestly been looking at Linux from a distance and hoping it came along for a long time now. I don't know how many recall at the time it came out...but the NSA got busted with it's paw in the proverbial window ...with a backdoor coded in for their use BY Microsoft.
Really?

One big advantage Windows has over other operating systems is internationalization. When I started working in the company I work, 20 years ago, they were moving from an old Unix System V computer with several dumb terminals attached to a more modern system, as what they did then was mostly word processing work and things were moving to GUIs instead of the old command line, keyboard driven programs, they had Microsoft Word for Unix installed (version 2, I think).

I suggested Apple Macs, as they had the best GUI and were powerful and supposedly easy to network, while on the PC side some things were appearing at the time but they were not that good. I think I tried a GEM system, but I'm not sure.

All those systems had a problem, they were all in English and most people didn't know the language, so they finally decided to use MS-DOS and Microsoft Works, because there was a Brazilian Portuguese version. Some time later a Novel network was installed, and some time later the guy that was responsible for the maintaining the system got his hands on Windows 3.11, that had the possibility of using the same network hardware already installed for the Novel network, so he decided to try it, with my help. The time it took to have a networked PC using Windows 3.11 was much less than the time it would take to do the same thing for a Novel network, even for someone that did it almost every day, like that guy did.

Windows 3.11 had a real Portuguese version that replaced Novel.

From that point on he stopped installing Novel networks (unless the clients asked for it) and installed only Unix and Windows 3.11 systems. He moved to another town in 1995, before the launch of Windows 95.

Linux, today, based on volunteer translations, is on the same position Windows was many years ago, as the translations (as far as I have seen) are not complete, good or even understandable.

PS: I have been using Ubuntu to run some software (ISIS) for image processing of the photos taken by NASA, ESA and Jaxa missions and now I am going to install a Linux Web server.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join