It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take that Chrome and your little Windows too!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Avgudar

No, Because the graphics car developers don't have deals with linux like they do with microsoft. Until Linux learns to work together with makers of non-open systems they will fail.

I'd say that it has been a while since you have picked up linux as the issues you are talking about have already been addressed and dealt with.

Just in the software repository of Mint, there is a total of 60,143 packages and of that 1830 packages just in the games section.

Even GPU drivers are painlessly installed via a gui that even a child could understand.

I jumped on the linux bandwagon in 1997 with RH 5.2 and have used it off-and-on for 15 years. I will freely admit that I have dumped linux for periods and returned to windows due to university requirements that *nix based software just couldn't meet.

These days, there are no such concerns as everything works.

Even things that were once a complete PITA - ACPI functionality would be a good example - are now working from install and integrating seamlessly with the hardware.

Only a few years ago, I would probably have agreed with you completely.....as linux - as a whole - was still pretty immature and required command line tinkering on a regular basis to use it as a desktop.

Now, I would recommend new users to use it instead of windows/OSx because of its stability and ease of use.

/biased rant

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I stand corrected, Steam Linux Beta is already available to everyone :

www.phoronix.com...

Happy xmas.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Meh..I run VBOX at home for times when I want Linux and Win7 most of the other times..

The beauty of modern computing is everything is so easy to do now..

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I've tried Linux once and as long as it's not just a core inside with everything else 100% the same as windows I say no thanks. It's not as user friendly as W. Everything was different for me, Mozilla sucked, simple things like instaling something, creating folders, shortcuts, running programs... And internet is full of .exe and windows games.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by PapagiorgioCZ

I hope you may reconsider at some point. I really was hard core against a full transisition off Windows myself until school came along. They forced me out of the world of the PC and..kicking and screaming at first....FORCED me to Learn Mac for the graphics program. Well...I swore I'd never learn that either after the days of the Apple II's in their many variants. Talk about a grudge held for a few years eh? Nevertheless, I changed because I wasn't asked my opinion about it. lol....

In hindsight, I'm glad they did force me to do that. I'd have hidden safely in my Windows world ..making excuses for why whatever latest outrage from Redmond isn't "That bad" and I can "adapt".

Now, in all honestly I've been using Linux since the 90's and just never considered it before now. Web servers...It's all any server I've used has ever run. Most servers I've used since day one have had shell or a modified root access level outright...so I've learned the command prompt side of Linux whether I like it or not.

Now...the GUI of modern Linux systems is SO radically different than CentOS or Red hat command prompts, I honestly didn't make that connection..but heck, in a way? I guess I'm going home to what has always been there but never focused on, anyway.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Or have the best of both worlds and run both...

VBox or other similar virtual environments are a great way to get full distros of Linux running while not needing a dedicate machine.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Inkscape and Gimp are more intuitive, just as powerful and more versitle than CS 6....altho I can't find something to match After Effects yet.

GIMP is not as versatile as Photoshop, one example being the recording of actions to automate some process, something that is easily done in Photoshop and for which there isn't (as far as I know) an easy parallel in GIMP.

I also find Photoshop more user friendly than GIMP, and from what I have seen, Photoshop is much better at working with memory, because of that working with large images is much faster in Photoshop.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I'm dropping back an update. I've scrapped the idea of entirely moving off Windows 7 just yet. The transition involved a BIT more "you don't know until you're doing it" than I anticipated. Since time isn't unlimited and computers can't be 'kinda working' come the start of the Spring Semester, what I've done is turn my Laptop 100% and totally to Linux. (Mint is what I've finally settled on). My desktop I'm setting into a dual boot..but there are some replacements to Windows options that will take a bit more than a couple days.

In terms of Google.. Wow... Society itself has been Googled. It takes trying to sever connections to realize they stopped being a mere company a long long time ago and became a force unto themselves. It didn't happen that way intentionally..and still isn't IMO. I've read a lot about Google's origins and operating style. They don't mean to become Umbrella Corp.....but the Evil Intent will soon be the ONLY thing different. I mean, they are..lirterally...everywhere.

So...I'm just using alternate software and handling the Googly state of affairs as best as possible. Every site uses Google with only a few rare exceptions...at one level or another. In looking at my own sites I've realized one simply doesn't "Turn Off" google. Doing so is willfully cutting a large % of functionality which comes free, reliable and largely without bugs.

I can only hope Google REMAINS blissfully idealistic and hopeful to change the world in good ways....because we're in trouble and won't even get the headline to hear about it through the Google-Net if that ever does change in a meaningful way.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Okay, I would love your take on this then. I have had serious problems with CS 6 Photoshop here at the house. I have an Intel X9650 (3ghz) with 8 gigs ram and both Windows Swap and all adobe cache files running on SSD drives.

I've repeatedly crashed in Photoshop working with photo compositite projects of fairly basic nature. One was a square in Europe where we had to remove the wires, trees people and vehicles and put in a giant dragonfly being ridden by a person. That kind of exercise. In fact that specific one bogged this machine so badly I felt like I was back on MS-DOS and an 8088. I watched 3 students in class just about lose it as their own Mac machines in Lab crashed on the same project.

Files showing in Photoshop for working size were 1-1.5 GIG in size.

Just how powerful a supercomputer does it take? I'm snarky at Adobe, not you of course.....I asked the instructors and aside from assuring everyone the Mac machines were bumping to 12gig from 4 at the school? Their pat response was that there wasn't anything which could be done...That's Photoshop and it takes a lot.

Okay,... A lot ought to be a Quad core 3ghz on 8gig ram. I have no super comp by any means...but no way should this be making it mush? Home was running Adobe CS-6 and the school is STILL cheap skating on CS-5 through next fall (Don't ask.....the Dept Head fought the good fight and lost on funding..)

edit on 24-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The problem is that the damage is already done, because of Google other search engines (better and more truthful than Google, that lies about the results) already disappeared.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

When Windows Vista came out some years ago, I installed it on my home computer (the company where I work has a contract with Microsoft, we pay some 300 Euros every year and we get 10 licences for the current version of Windows, Office and other programs). Then I installed Photoshop CS (something, I don't remember what version was) and tried to open a 1GB JPEG2000 file. My computer had only 768MB of memory, but it was able to open the image and I could do some (basic) work in it.

I don't have CS6, so I cannot know if there's something wrong with it or not.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I've used Ubuntu Linux since 2007 and have never used any anti-virus or any type of ad-aware type programs.
Really saves time and is nice to not have programs running in the background using your bytes.
When I switched I felt reborn or something due to that alone, freedom from intrusion.
Linux now is very easy to use, and rarely do I use the command line, but when you do it's very convenient, type or copy, paste, enter, done, you got your program.

Oh, and have never had a virus, trojans or ad problems.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
As much as people wish it was not true their will always be a place for Windows, OSX and Linux in the world. Each platform does certain things great and certain things not so much.

I am not gonna bash MSFT nor do I think Linux will save the world. Both are needed and both will be around along time.

The current age is a great time to be a computer user as you have so many choices and so many ways to implement those choices even on one box if you wanted.

Your setup sounds sweet..Laptop on Linux and Desktop on Windows giving you all the options..good deal.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Well, for those who have 100% and entirely cut ties with Windows for Linux based systems ....What are you doing about gaming? There must be at least a few in the Linux bunch who go a round or two in a good game online or single player to pass a loong evening at home?

Some software like Adobe I need to take a bit of time to test solutions across my laptop to find what I need to function how I have to with some things at school. It isn't entirely that though and heck, I was an avid gamer when Zork, original text version, was the latest thing to come out along side that game I'll never forget to hate... Bureaucracy. Oh, who out of those that played them....er...I digress. lol

Simple question to come right down to. How does one play Far Cry III or Borderlands 2 or Diablo III on Linux. If a specific example of a top line game DOES have Linux versions, it's the exception it would seem...though I know some do. Most have Server versions in Linux, but that isn't helpful. Wine seems short for THAT rather massive task.
That may prove to be a reason I keep one small HD set to dual boot back to the Windows version of the day ....when I need to do something only IT can accomplish. I hate that thought....

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Well, for those who have 100% and entirely cut ties with Windows for Linux based systems ....What are you doing about gaming? There must be at least a few in the Linux bunch who go a round or two in a good game online or single player to pass a loong evening at home?

I play linux games all the time.

Teeworlds would have to be my personal fav, though I have been spending a bit of time playing FPS games of late(Nexuiz/Xonotic, openarena, etc).

Teeworlds is not an exclusive Linux game either. Windows and Mac users can play too.

www.teeworlds.com...

Come on in and join the fun. < Please note that this is not a solicitation to send people to another site...........I just want to shoot my fellow ATS members in the face.....in a friendly manner.....for the purposes of enjoyment only.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I know their was some drama with Diablo III on Linux over the past few months but after 890000 hours in D3 I just removed it recently. Only game I currently play is EQ2 for raiding aspects.

I started playing Skyrim again but have been hit with a bug which makes it not worth playing .

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I just got a new rig for xmas,not my choice, with windows 8........

I think it's slower then my windows vista.

For example,this page,solarimg.org...
Maybe my wireless modem at 54mbps?
edit on 25-12-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

My condolences on Windows 8. Just keep telling yourself it's designed to incorporate touch screen command control of the whole system...and some day you'll actually have what it's designed to use today....and until then? Your dreams should be bright, happy and appreciative for Microsoft's vision and daring. So they tell us!

Personally..I see a company that has finally gotten FAR FAR too big for it's own good OR ours and has come to start DICTATING to a buying public what they will like and not like. oooooops....... Might corporations have been turned to yesterdays failure footnotes over arrogance like that, eh? Google engineers are probably sitting back trying not to fall from their chairs in laughter for how much MS's attitude does to help Google "arrive" as the replacement in so many market sectors.

Windblows may still hold a spot on my Desktop? but..as noted..it's a spot whose days are numbered as anything but a 2nd boot choice ..and even that? Not if I can help it long term.

@ THANK YOU to those sharing stories of playing 1st run games on Linux. Perhaps here soon I ought to take some of my production CD copies for recent big games and start tinkering to see which I can bring up under WINE? Or is there another way people are doing this with the high power ones?

- I also appreciate the heads up on the Linux-only gaming scene. It'll be something I explore as time goes on....but it can never even joke about replacing the 1st run games released to the public. Try telling a 12yr old that "this version" is ...alllllmost like what all his friends play on the $60 or $80 box copy. Err..... I'll stand in the other room while someone else tell's him. ....and be available to extract you if needed.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by kdog1982

My condolences on Windows 8. Just keep telling yourself it's designed to incorporate touch screen command control of the whole system...

Except you can bypass the Touch Interface by clicking on 1 tile .
When people start using awesome names like Windblows or M$FT it always becomes clear that nothing is open to solid logical debate so their is no point in trying to..

Linux is great, Windows is just as great ..Both are needed to make the technological world thrive and survive.

edit on 26-12-2012 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Well, I'm sorry if you read the use of a cute slang name thrown in for a little levity as meaning a solid debate on merit can't be had. One most definitely doesn't indicate the other.

How about a couple solid points? Since the days of Windows 3.1 and the move off command prompt DOS (I spent nearly a year mastering DOS....just so they could make it all meaningless.. ahh..my first dislike for MS came young!
) they've been making Windows more and more idiot proof. No biggy except that at the same time, they've taken that route exclusively. I need to go to Windows home website and DOWNLOAD things like Autoruns and the rest of the Internals suite when all of that should be box copy integrated for the O/S. At least Linux is up front about user participation to keep life running smooth. MS lets you think you don't have to on most and then can't on anything else, then pay others hundreds to do basic things they didn't include tools for.

I guess that's the part of idiot proofing they don't figure needs included. Taking the idiocy out of keeping systems running. MS gets an F for Fail there....and is getting worse each generation of product.

Or...My personal favorite and why I've honestly been looking at Linux from a distance and hoping it came along for a long time now. I don't know how many recall at the time it came out...but the NSA got busted with it's paw in the proverbial window ...with a backdoor coded in for their use BY Microsoft.

Windows has a HUGE problem. It's proprietary and it's closed source as a commercial product to force you to keep giving.......and guessing just what else lurks behind the Windows. Once I can make the dump off Windows complete? I'll probably never use a closed source O/S again.
(No cute names used.)

edit on 26-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: minor correction.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join