It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Gun Threat Rumors Relative to Epidemic Proportions - Seemingly Nationwide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
On my local news last night I counted 4 separate blurbs whereby rumors at local schools in the Tampa Bay area were running rampant. So much so that a few schools called with recorded messages and some sent letters home to parents to reassure them that there have been no verified threats and that all is well.

Some parents interviewed were not reassured by this and chose to keep their children out of school. Who knows how long given the current atmosphere and paranoia so prevalent since the recent tragedy in CT.

I was a bit taken back by this in that the fear that has been established seemingly nationwide in the U.S. The rumor mill is in overdrive. I decided to do a Google News Search with the phrase gun rumors at schools and i was astounded at the return. Take a look...

gun rumors at school

Seemingly epidemic imho.

This hit really close to home today in fact.

My 17 yr old daughter called me this morning and said that one of her "friends" showed her a Facebook post of one of their school mates that created a Facebook post saying that they were going to shoot the school up on Dec 21, 2012 and posted a picture of "a big black gun". She all but grabbed the "friend" by the arm and demanded they go to the office and report it immediately. Which they did, after she left school because she was scared.

Later that morning a couple of detectives showed up and questioned her about what she saw. She told them everything she knew and after some further investigation it turned out to be just a "prank" this classmate pulled. I am not sure of what transpired from that point but I am happy she did her due diligence nonetheless.

The worrisome part however, is there is this underlying fear that is enveloping these kids. I have a feeling the "home schooled' population density is going to sky rocket in the coming months/years.

Does anyone else have any personal experiences similar to this, or more, notice an extreme uptick in these rumors as of late? This is a good a time as any to open the doors of communication with your kids, talk to them, see what they're thinking, ask them what and how they're feeling, and be somewhat aware of what they're posting on Facebook and other social media outlets.

Reassure them, their fear is warranted but cannot overcome their daily life and responsibilities. Take this opportunity to teach them how to survive should they ever find themselves in a life threatening event. Teach them how to speak up when a situation arises that other people need to be aware of. Just my own suggestions of course, but do whatever works in your situation.

Thanks for reading.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Almost every school district around me, including my kids', have had an incident regarding threats or rumors. Police and school officials are taking absolutely nothing for chance. Hopefully everyone keeps their eyes and ears open and the next attempted incident can be stopped.
edit on 19-12-2012 by imawlinn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Yeah. Not surprising at all, given what happened last week and what day it is Friday,

That's why, though I don't cave to fear or the terrorists who strive to instill it, and don't view this as such, I thought this was kind of a good idea: Why all schools should be cancelled this Friday.

Even if they don't close schools, keep your kids home or with you anyway if you can and get away from the crazies who are bound to be out in force.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I was in high school during columbine, and it was pretty much the same thing then. I got sent home from school two days after the shooting because a teacher walked into her room and found a list of names written in chalk on the board, and my name was on the list. They kept it pretty quiet, but there were about 20 of us that were pulled aside and told we could leave for the day if we felt unsafe. I never saw the list, but rumor had it that it was under the heading "death list"

I didnt take it seriously, but did take my free day off of school. In hindsight, it should have scared the heck out of me.

edit on 19-12-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
There have been so many threats in the area where I went to school. They also found a gun in an elementary students back pack. They're putting police officers at every school in the district I went to on Friday. The article is actually titled Mayan prediction prompts Whitehouse PD to increase Whitehouse ISD school security Friday

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

This article might interest/calm you. School threats common after high-profile attacks. However, I am considering keeping my daughter out of school on Friday. The school shooting and all the publicity it's gotten plus the whole 12/21/12 thing together probably should be taken seriously.

edit on 19/12/2012 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

I'm keeping my son home for sure. It's the last day before Christmas break anyway and I don't want to take chances.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
This is what happens when it's smeared all over every news station for days. The media makes celebrities out of the people who carry out these disgusting acts. And who doesn't want their 15 minutes of fame?!?

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

I think the caveat here is social media. As the poster said above with Columbine and as the article states rumors and idol threats were and will be common. As another poster mentioned the media is playing their normal role in a high profile story.

Social media hasn't been as prevalent as it is now and I would wager mostly unchecked in regards to the demographic in question. So the rumor mill is indeed in overdrive. My issue is the fear that is being created, my daughter was visibly shaken by just the thought of there being a chance of something like this occurring at her school. My goal will be to show her positive and effective ways to overcome her fear so they don't overcome her daily life.

We the people, and especially the up and coming people, should not ever have to live in fear to a point it disrupts our way of life. I am going to try my hardest to make sure my kids are informed and aware using viable resources of information. This social network craze has a very ominous side in some ways imho.
edit on 12/19/2012 by UberL33t because: typos

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
It's real life trolling prettymuch. I remember HS after columbine too, was insane........ In real life trolls go to jail though, so don't mess around lol

top topics

join