It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Down to -50C: Russians freeze to death as strongest-in-decades winter hits

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I was in New Zealand a few years back, a place called Taihape to be exact (South of Lake Taupo) and it got to -3°C and that was extremely cold for me! Whereas in Sydney (where I'm originally from) temps are normally around 18°-25°C and thats what I'm used to. But Russia hitting -50°C!?!?! I can only imagine what they're going through.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by samuel1990
reply to post by InnerLogic

I'm from Australia and have never experienced anything below zero degrees celsius!
That is outrageous! I can't believe it can get that cold where you live and you can survive there!

The average temp here, on the Gold Coast in Queensland is roughly 35 degrees celsius. That is a comfortable temp to me!

I'm sure the Russians ask Australians the same thing, only they wonder why people choose to live on a stolen land where every animal has a vendetta against humans.

Try showing some compassion, I know it isn't a trait common to you lot, but give it a go.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Email

You Sir are offensive. Australian are very compassionate people. Always have been.

No stars for you!

P

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
reply to post by Email

You Sir are offensive. Australian are very compassionate people. Always have been.

No stars for you!

P

Except when they murder nurses.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I like the cold, hate the heat.

When it's hot, once you've stripped down naked, with the AC blasting that's about all you can do.

Where as when it's cold, I can always keep logs on the fireplace (cost me a lot less), and put on more clothes to stay warm.

Plus it's a good excuse to cuddle under the blankets with my wife..

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Email

Originally posted by pheonix358
reply to post by Email

No stars for you!

P

Except when they murder nurses.

Oh Please! I hope you are joking. The British media is so deep in a sh*t hole they wouldn need a telescope to see where Australia's is on the ladder. So they all jump on this ridiculous theory that we are responsible for the suicide of a nurse as a distraction and you buy it? "Look over there!" so you look?

Anyway, back to the thread, it has been unusually dry here in the SouthEast of Australia. We had the worst drought ever than ran for about 13 years, then two years ago it started to rain and some parts had thier wettest year (Australia officially had its wettest two year period on record) and 3 months ago it stopped raining in the SE and we are ripe for massive bushfires again (nice long grass and undergrowth all drying out).

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlexIR
-20 in Moscow / -50 in Siberia --> Get your facts straight.

Have you read the article? When Russians say it's cold, it is

Moscow is quite close to you and Russia is pretty large. You could have it mild in Moscow untill springtime and at the same time extraordinary winter in Russia. They say it's gonna go down in Moscow too next week anyway.
Question is if those air masses are so massive it will freeze us in Europe too or it'll stay there keeping us in mild climate.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by PapagiorgioCZ

Sounds very cold Indeed and I, for one wouldn't want to be living there in -50

I'm in London, England and we rarely get to -5 or -6c in Winter and that would be during the night!

Actually this Winter is pretty mild at present.... we have 10c to 13c during the day..... near enough the same over the last Decade! We usually see colder days/nights in Jan/Feb.... we shall see, we may be mild throughout this Winter but then get late snow in March which has happened before....

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I remember skiing North Vermont when it was about -20F with a -70F wind chill. By lunch time the temp got up to -10F and I had to unzip my coat a little. North Minnesota is one of the coldest places in the US. Heated garage floors, and homes with dual heating systems are the norm. If you don't heat the garage floors, the car freezes to it.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by samuel1990
reply to post by PapagiorgioCZ

Isn't the North Pole slowly creeping over Russia?

It's only going to get worse IMHO.

The North Pole itself isn't creeping over Russia. The north pole is simply the point of land representative of the northern axis of Earth. The magnetic pole wanders, and may be creeping over Russia (I didn't look it up), but that doesn't affect weather.

Also, for us Americans and if there's anyone else in the world who uses Fahrenheit, -50 C is equal to -58F. That is EXTRAORDINARILY COLD. I don't believe I've ever experienced anything below -20F.

Also, a good friend of mine is near the end of 5 days in Moscow, then he goes back for a Jan-Feb after a holiday break back home. He's been a native of Atlanta, GA, New Orleans, LA, and Hawaii over the past 10 years or so - not even adjusted to +35 degrees, let alone -58!!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I have lived in Edmonton for about a decade now but originally come from SW Ontario (SW of Toronto). Humidity has a LOT to do with the cold as does Wind Chill.

In Ontario, -20C was nearly unbearable because of the humidity in the air. The cold cuts right to the bone. Edmonton has little humidity by comparison and -20C is chilly but zipping the jacket up all the way is definitely not a requirement at that temp... unless there is moderate wind chill.

I know this may not make sense to some but even as low as -22C to -25C, you can still feel 'warmth' in the air. Get to lower than -30C and that warmth is gone and it's time to start layering your clothing.

Now, having said all that... while I do not particularly mind the extreme cold (I thank a life of dog ownership and walking them at least twice a day for ~40 to 50 min/walk year-round), +35C with high humidity is my kind of weather !

As we Canadians are apt to say, depending on where we are:

"It may be cold but at least it's a dry cold"

and/or

"It's not the heat, it's the humidity"

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Nice post. Isn't global warming a B*tch!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
It's actually a fairly mild winter where I am right now. We have snow, but it's usually much much colder than the -8 C we are experiencing at the current time. Used to some pretty good extremes here. 40 C and humid as all heck in the summer, and as cold as -30 or more in the winter. Gotta love the 2nd largest country in the world.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by discordantone

As we Canadians are apt to say, depending on where we are:

"It may be cold but at least it's a dry cold"

and/or

"It's not the heat, it's the humidity"

My grandparents always said that and they were from mexico

true words though
edit on 21-12-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
According to forecast there should be temperature rise next week. So far so good.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

I prefer the cold over extreme heat but not the extreme cold.

I don't like to go outside any time the temps dip below 0F.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg
Well, here in Brit-Cit (more specifically London), we've gone from a bit chilly (average temperature here last week was about 1C) to rain-streaked relative warmth - it's about 7C outside at the moment and I had to take my gloves off and open my coat when I was walking the dog. But then we seldom get really cold weather here.

What the hell is "Brit Cit"?

In 2010 here in the North East of England we regularly got between -15 and -18. The thought of an easterly coming in with source temperatures as low as these is somewhat terrifying. Imagine minus 20 in London for a period of time and the implications for traditionally colder parts of the country?

We'd grind to a halt.

So grateful for our coal fire + central heating arrangements!

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Down to -50C: Russians freeze to death as strongest-in-decades winter hits = Or the earth axis has shifted.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join