It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Down to -50C: Russians freeze to death as strongest-in-decades winter hits

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Well, here in Brit-Cit (more specifically London), we've gone from a bit chilly (average temperature here last week was about 1C) to rain-streaked relative warmth - it's about 7C outside at the moment and I had to take my gloves off and open my coat when I was walking the dog. But then we seldom get really cold weather here.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I pray all will be safe, and for all who have been injured by the cold or worse. We're at 1 above zero with rain expected in the Fraser Valley, had some snow for a short while but if it does rain it will melt, it it drops to just below zero again, it will snow more. We usually get snow just before christmas, though it doesnt last.

I can't picture -50, and wind chill would be a lot worse.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I am currently living in Siberia, so I feel like I should chime-in to this thread. I mentioned this article to my colleagues at work today, and they laughed saying this winter doesn't seem any different from the past (although it was much warmer last December). It was around -35 earlier this week, but it's only -22 right now (that's in Celsius). This is this first time that I have experienced temperatures this low, and I was a bit nervous when I first moved here. However, -35 really isn't as bad as you would think. Sure, it's cold, but it's not even that uncomfortable if you have a lot of layers on.

Many of the locals think that -20 is the ideal temperature. It's not too cold (in their opinion), and the air and ground are much cleaner. It is absolutely disgusting here when the snow starts to melt, so I could agree with the locals about the temperature. The important thing is that the buildings are warm. It makes it a lot easier to deal with the cold temperatures outside.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by killuminati2012

That's what I was thinking...and I am sure you will all get over the minus -41 deg celsius temperatures soon enough

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Many of the locals think that -20 is the ideal temperature. It's not too cold (in their opinion), and the air and ground are much cleaner. It is absolutely disgusting here when the snow starts to melt, so I could agree with the locals about the temperature. The important thing is that the buildings are warm. It makes it a lot easier to deal with the cold temperatures outside.

I totally agree. -15 to -20 is a nice dry cold. The streets don't get all muddy, they're not very slippery to drive on, and your snowmen don't melt.
It's even warm enough that when you're shoveling snow, you get warm enough to open your jacket.

-50 is definitely cold, but I assumed that was normal for Russia. Canadian prairies go down to -40 every year, and I've heard it said that Russians think Canadians are wimps when it comes to cold weather.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
-50C
that's -58F to us "Yanks"

I think I would pass out in that type of cold. Anything around 0C makes me upset! That's not even factoring in the wind chill... Sheesh. You can get dehydrated just fast as you get hypothermia in the frigid, dry air mass!!!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

I totally agree. -15 to -20 is a nice dry cold. The streets don't get all muddy, they're not very slippery to drive on, and your snowmen don't melt.
It's even warm enough that when you're shoveling snow, you get warm enough to open your jacket.

-50 is definitely cold, but I assumed that was normal for Russia. Canadian prairies go down to -40 every year, and I've heard it said that Russians think Canadians are wimps when it comes to cold weather.

That depends on where you live. Here where i live we get -20c with more humid air due to being close to coast and having a fjord. But yeah dry cold is much better than humid cold.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

Originally posted by snowspirit

That depends on where you live. Here where i live we get -20c with more humid air due to being close to coast and having a fjord. But yeah dry cold is much better than humid cold.

That's true. I should've mentioned that it's not as humid here. It definitely makes a difference. I don't know what -40 or -50 feel like, but I had no trouble walking 30 minutes to work when it was -35 and dry. From what the locals tell me, it rarely gets below -40, and I don't think it ever gets down to -50. But that's just in my part of Siberia. I'm sure areas farther north experience colder temps.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

That's amazing to me, humid cold air, I just can't wrap my mind around it... I remember watching videos of people throwing boiling water into those temps and it immediately condensates and turned into a frozen cloud. I thought that any humidity in the air would suffer the same fate leaving behind a frigid dry air mass.

Guess I need to brush up on my meteorology and understand extremely cold humid air masses.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by PapagiorgioCZ

-50C isn't that bad. I was at work this morning eight miles from the center of Miami Beach and it was -60C. And the wind was at 35 mph, giving a wind chill of -123F. That eight miles was not due North. It was straight up (F390).

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
In russia, wind blows YOU

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

I agree, anything below 20C and I pull the heater closer! Just love summer in Sunny South Africa.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Keep your sweaty greetings from Hawaii, Durban and Australia. I don't wanna be jealous guy and it's not easy in sub zeroes

I've heard around 1974 or so was so cold in Poland that birds flew into human houses.
What I find to be the worst temp for me is about 1°C - humid and a slight but fresh northern breeze. I can feel it sucking all the warmth from my body to the bones like nothing. I actually like dry -20 without any wind but my fingers and toes start to be a problem after few hours outdoors no matter what boots or thermo socks or G.-Tex gloves I use.
I've heard Russian Valenki are awesome winter boots.
edit on 20/12/2012 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I hope that the Russians know that vodka, or any alcohol, will only make you "feel" warmer, but actually lowers your body temperature. I think that with the Russian propensity for vodka, this is an important detail. I cannot even fathom that degree of coldness. I am very cold-natured, and usually am cold when others are not. I think cold is better than heat though, as far as how it feels to our bodies. This is because I can always put on more clothes, but can only take off so many. And this is only when I'm by myself, as nobody wants to see that.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I've seen tropical, and i've seen frozen wasteland.

I still have no idea why there are people living anywhere outside tropical.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Mu-uh-ah-ah-ah.

It's the curse of Draco. Darn these named storms anyway.
See the links to Aurora inside. L0L.

www.weather.com...

No seriously. Stay warm peeps.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
someone video tape the water as it is shot out of a water gun. I really want to see the water freeze mid air.

Fill the gun with cold water to start so its sure to freeze!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by PapagiorgioCZ

How did they survive it in 1938? Are heating fuels and methods the same now, or different than in 1938?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
-20 in Moscow / -50 in Siberia --> Get your facts straight., Siberians have the know hos to survive those temperatures.

Its always been cold continental climate because they don't have any bodies of warm water to warm the atmosphere and cause some precipitation to keep the cold from getting to serious.

Romania isn't that far from Russia and i must say its warmer than in other winters, i mean we have the russian winds that blow the snow and cause trouble and get some temperatures to -10 but nothing more, we had -20, -25 in other winters.

And no the North Pole is not creeping south. This is normal stuff here.

(Although i'm beggining to believe in climate change and the warming of the climate, my town is very near the mountains and we usually have -15, -20 at this perios and a bit less in january but we now have -4, -5 degrees.)
edit on 21-12-2012 by AlexIR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
how can the north pole creep south? even if it moved, it would still be the north pole...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join