It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Down to -50C: Russians freeze to death as strongest-in-decades winter hits

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
so the last time it was this cold was 1942? any one that knows history knows what that kind of cold did to the german army back then.I thought i had it bad in Montana but -50c thats almost unreal.if any one can make it through it though it would be the Russians

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

40oC on xmas day.
Far out... i cant imagine what it must be like to have a white xmas!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

It might change your mind

About the extreme cold, it preserves you. People in North looks much younger than same aged people in mediterranean

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RalagaNarHallas
so the last time it was this cold was 1942?

The country has not witnessed such a long cold spell since 1938, meteorologists said

It's just begining. What will come in January
-70?

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
North Dakota, USA chiming in here with current weather reports. We have had relatively "normal" temps for the time of year so far, snow levels are low to non existant. However, we do often experience stretches of -45C and colder during January, so I feel your pain. Last year was a record warm winter for us- I never did get out my parka.

I think Russia being cold is pretty normal. People just seem to forget each year just how dangerous cold can be, and then we get a few foolhardy folks who freeze to death. I'm sorry it happens. It happens here in North Dakota too.

Happy Holidays to those celebrating!
SK

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by fictitious
Simple solution. More vodka.

Hahahahahaah

My thoughts exactly

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Btw...this is what happens to boiling water at -41 deg celsius:

Edit: Video was published Dec. 19, 2012
edit on 19-12-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: added note

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I was born there, but being raised in Vancouver the only thing i'm used to is rain. Lots and lots of rain. I couldnt even imagine how awful that would be, how cold your insides must feel.

I heard somewhere that earth is going through a mini ice age. Couldn't give ya anymore than that but would explain why it seems to be getting colder
edit on 19-12-2012 by RooskiZombi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

Alcohol makes it easier to freeze to death. At those temps you also need a clear head.

Well all I know is I feel much warmer in a liquid blanket. If I lived there, I'd be so miserable I'd drink myself to death happily. Anything colder than 40° F is freezing to me.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Thats -58f........

speechless...

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
Btw...this is what happens to boiling water at -41 deg celsius:

Edit: Video was published Dec. 19, 2012
edit on 19-12-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: added note

Wow, there's a bird flying around in that weather. o.O

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by PapagiorgioCZ

Originally posted by RalagaNarHallas
so the last time it was this cold was 1942?

The country has not witnessed such a long cold spell since 1938, meteorologists said

It's just begining. What will come in January
-70?

I'm sure I read that winter 1941/42 was the worst they had for years, or maybe that was mostly around Leningrad, where IIRC something like 500,000 people froze to death. Partly because of the siege, partly because it was extremely cold.

Also, since there seems to be a secondary discussion, my vote is that cold weather is more fun. Winter conditions do amazing things to the hills, and you get to do terrifying things like snow bollard belays....

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I read that one of the signs when 3 days of darkness starts is extra cold temperature. Pretty interesting that just now it really is extra cold near the northern hemisphere!

"It will be a bitterly cold winter night in the northern hemisphere, and presumably, a very cold or torrid summer night in Australia. The wind will howl and roar, while lightning and thunder will strike at an unprecedented frequency."

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 20-12-2012 by RhinestoneCowboy because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-12-2012 by RhinestoneCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

Alcohol makes it easier to freeze to death. At those temps you also need a clear head.

Is that a A Great Pyrenees in your pic? I have one, 4year old male. He isnt freezing at all

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Aloha from Hawaii....It is right now 78 degrees in Kawaii the beautiful garden Island where i live...I just got back from my daily snorkeling,swimming in the ocean,and i am having a pina kolada while barbequing some tasty MAHI MAHI seasoned with coconut sauce and herbs rapped in banana leafs...and oh my favorite holakahoma performer is also dancing for me.....I know it's bitter cold up there .I really feel for you people,that picture looked very scary ... oopss fish are burning, got to go...Mahalupohakihami.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
What is also a problem for Moscow is how long it's been cold there.
Almost two weeks of -20 to -50c.

Last night it was -17c in Moscow and over the next few days its predicted to get to a sweltering hot -4c !

Russia today has an article on this

I try to think of the warmth of Honolulu and Australia at this time of year but it's a bit hard to grasp when im shivering my nuts off at a mild 8c !

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
To the people not used to the cold weather, -50 sounds like a hell but despite the fact that, YES, is very cold, is not so nightmarish. Who is used to the cold weather knows that temperatures like that aren't that common and don't last more than few days. I'm from Toronto and the coldest I've experienced was -45. Very cold but not unbearable. Few years back I was in Edmonton, Alberta, beginning of December and was -56 with windchill factor. Cold but still I was outside having a smoke. That being said, people who live in cold weather for their whole life are used to that and can handle it. Is not pleasant but is not the end of the world either.
edit on 20-12-2012 by Telos because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
"but is not the end of the world either"

It is possibly tomorrow. lol

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Telos
To the people not used to the cold weather, -50 sounds like a hell but despite the fact that, YES, is very cold, is not so nightmarish. Who is used to the cold weather knows that temperatures like that aren't that common and don't last more than few days. I'm from Toronto and the coldest I've experienced was -45. Very cold but not unbearable. Few years back I was in Edmonton, Alberta, beginning of December and was -56 with windchill factor. Cold but still I was outside having a smoke. That being said, people who live in cold weather for their whole life are used to that and can handle it. Is not pleasant but is not the end of the world either.
edit on 20-12-2012 by Telos because: (no reason given)

That is not always the case.. I have lived in Norway all my life and even though we get cold winters i still feel like # if i go outside even when it is 0c. When it is close to -20c or colder it is pure hell....

40c in shade on the other hand is much more bearable than cold for me..

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
YIKES! It's only 7'C in my part of the UK right now. To think that's about as cold as it has ever been recorded in Malaysia...
The coldest we've had recently is -1', the coldest we've had in the last couple of years has been about -8.
I really really hate extreme weather temperature. Keep me at a nice 19-22' and I'll be happy forever

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join