It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SWAT cops to ask for IDs from everyone in Arkansas town

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

It is a local government issue, but one that invariably WILL establish a disturbing precedence that invariably WILL spread to other locations in the U.S.

Anyone give a thought to the idea of this being a government experiment in the mass acceptance of a police state? Get results, tweak scenario, try try again in a new town or city?

JayinAR, there is a surprising lack of discussion on this topic both here at ATS and in the media in general. I would love to hear anything else you may hear due to your apparent proximity to Paragould. I live in Texas and subsequently am concerned considering it's relatively close-by...also the general sheepiness of almost EVERYONE you can talk to in this country.

As a post note, I will say Texas is probably the LAST PLACE some sh** like that would ever stick!
edit on 22-12-2012 by rmtfox because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by rmtfox

Oh, I don't expect it will stick here either. I think they have really drummed up a propaganda campaign there in Paragould, but once it actually starts people will hit the roof over it.

I also agree that this isn't getting enough attention.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I will say this, though...
There is a huge difference between this sorta thing happening on a federal level and a local level.

If this were the feds making this call, people would already be in the streets, guns drawn.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Digging around on Paragould's local newspaper's website I found that unless you were linked there to the story or you searched specifically for it, it couldn't be found on any main page or weekly list of top stories and hot topics.

Funny, I think imminent martial law would be...pretty good top story material. Sensationalism sells, so why so low key UNLESS...*GASP*...I just crapped myself it's so evil.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
When I posted this story I thought it would take off like wild fire with all the rights activists on this site. I appreciate you guys tasking the time to bump it along and keeping me posted with updates and local information. Maybe it will take off when people realize the seriousness of it and its implications. Thanks again.
edit on 22-12-2012 by Agarta because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by rmtfox

Well, my buddy I spoke to about that lives there barely even knew what was going on...other than to say "yeah, the crime is crazy. Crackheads busting into peoples homes. I don't like it, but if it will keep my daughter safe then I'm for it."
He reiterated over and over that the crime is out of control.

And this is an old homie of mine. We were pretty wild ourselves back in the day.
If he says it's bad, it is.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

No sweat.
When I first saw the story it was in the introduction thread and I was like "no damn way." I've been to Paragould many times. Its a small town.
But then I looked it up and wanted to get to the bottom of it.

I actually made the mistake I hate most on this site. I was blindly skeptical. I posted my skepticism in that intro thread and I feel like a tool for it.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This article is the PD attempting to clarify the news reports, but it seems to just bring up more questions:

paragouldpolice.org...

We will be asking for picture identification. We will be ascertaining where the subject lives and what they are doing in the area. We will be keeping a record of those we contact. The record keeping is two-fold: First, we want to try to keep from over-lapping making contact with the same people multiple times. Once we know where people live, or that they always walk in that particular neighborhood, then we'll not need to repeat that contact. We will not be harassing citizens. Secondly, by documenting those of the criminal element, we have a record of that contact and where/when it occurred. An example of where this will be helpful is if a crime (i.e. burglary, breaking or entering) is reported the next morning. We then have a list of "go-to" suspects to question regarding that incident or incidents.

So, just walking on the streets makes someone an automatic suspect if there is a crime in the area. There are so many things wrong with that.

This also seems to contradict their other statement:
paragouldpolice.org...

In cases where there is probable cause to believe a crime has already occurred, officers will arrest those who committed the crime – there will be zero-tolerance for criminals. It is in these instances alone in which officers will ask an individual to identify him/herself.

ETA: And yes, I know of some local PD where they are so full of themselves and their power, that they would look at this town and think - "wow what a great idea, if they can do that then we should too."
edit on 12/22/12 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueAjah

You make a great point at the end of your post. This is truly an overstep here and it's pretty scary stuff. It needs to be squashed before it's even started!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
You almost have to admire their planning, first scare the living crap out of people, check. Take a "crime ridden" small town and use gestapo like tactics and show the masses of morons how much safer they are and the majority of sheep will beg for this type of "protection" as they will see it. I have to admit they are good herding the sheep.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add to the ongoing discussion.

Thank You

-thread closed-

[ETA] wrong thread - reopened
edit on 12/23/2012 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
That is a 4th amendment violation.

If you don't tell them to go p!ss up a rope you are only making the problem worse.

Tyrants will push as far as the people let them.

edit on 23-12-2012 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Let me see if I read that correctly....Crime has gotten SO bad, in certain parts of that town, that the amount of it allows the mayor and the cops to CIRCUMVENT the constitution, and detain and interrogate ANYONE who isn't locked up inside of their homes....Because, the crime is SO bad, that if you are outside, you must be insane or part of the criminal element, right???

And, NOW, they want to try and DO something about it??? Really???

OK...Everybody sing along... (to the tune of the COPS theme)

Na-zis, Na-zis, nothin' you can do....Nothin' you can do, when they detain you...

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I had posted most of this in the now closed thread. Sorry for not seeing this one before doing so.

I read the news on this the other day and was disheartened by the implications to the free law abiding citizens.

Many states have 'stop & identify' laws which provide the LEO's with the right to request identification.

The states I am aware of are:
AL, AR, CO, DE, FL, GA, IL, KS, LA, MO, MT, NE, NH, NM, NV, NY, ND, RI, UT, VT, WI

Though it may have broadened since.

I do know that our supreme court has ruled on an issue of identification in the case of Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada where it ruled to uphold states rights requiring citizens to comply with presenting identification to police when they have reasonable suspicion regarding criminal activity. The case cites many other cases which came before regarding this issue and also states that this one picks up where they left off.

Furthermore, training for LEO's has gone from privately funded institutes to federally funded sessions provided by none other than our DHS, FEMA and the TSA. These sessions, provide officers with needed skills and abilities, yet also outline ways to identify possible 'extremists'. They exist in many urban areas and are called 'fusion centers'.

I'm sure many have heard or read about this already, so I will not give too many details, but surmise as I do, this issue is beginning to bother me more than a little. Some here are already connecting the dots and seeing what is transpiring across this country. The thread which describes a woman who survived the Nazi regime starts to make more and more sense.

We are being conditioned to believe this is the 'norm' and how a society needs to be if it is to achieve peace.

My personal opinion on this issue.. BOGUS BS. If crime is rampant and the local LEO's aren't doing what is needed, get rid of them and do it yourself. We are the only people responsible for our own safety and should never depend upon another to keep us safe.

When stopped by an officer under these circumstances, continue to ask if you are 'free to go'. Unless they tell you directly that you are not, which will often be the case, keep asking it. Most LEO's will get the idea that you are aware of your rights and know the law, which may prevent them from harassing you further.
edit on 2012/23/12 by prysmatyk because: added content

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
WOW whats next? sound like a town converting to a concentration camp if you ask me. what if your exercising your 2nd ammendment and carrying? what will they do to those people

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join