It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian parents sue school over yoga classes.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

You disregarded the information in the first link (to Wikipedia) concerning yoga in the modern Western world. Most yoga practiced in the West is Hatha yoga, which "forces the mind to become separated from external objects" and itself has nothing to do with "becoming in union with a higher supernatural power". Furthermore, it has essentially become synonymous with physical exercise rather than any kind of religious practice.

A better way to put it would be this: You know that the origins of the Christmas tree isn't Christianity, but paganism? Pagans would cut down trees, stand them back up, and adorn them with silver and gold. The Christmas tree was, at that time, an exclusively religious practice for pagans. Now, most people don't know that, and over time it's not even a Christian thing. It's just a Christmas thing. A Christmas thing that now has nothing to do with paganism, Christianity, or anything of the sort.

In essence, through time and place, practices change, their intent morphs into something else entirely.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

If we aren't allowed to teach kids about Jesus in class, i think it's fair not to be able to teach kids to worship the hindu gods with their bodies. I'd be doing more than pulling my kids out of yoga classes, i'd be pulling them out of public schools and home schooling them.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Theres a Christian school next to the building where I work.

Despite being a Christian school.... their morning prayer includes the line "Hindus, Christians and Muslims are all equal before God" or something to that extent.

Either Christians where I live are doing a bad job of being "Christian" by teaching their kids to say such things.... or the Christians in the US are paranoid about their religion being compromised through yoga in a non-religious context.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Yoga is, of course, based on religion, and these schools changing the names of things to "avoid" it being religious....well, that's simply dishonest. If they don't want to allow prayer in schools (well, Christian prayer, as some allow Muslim students prayer time), then they cannot be teaching yoga. One one hand, you have students wanting to pray, on their own, and on the other, you have teachers instructing kids in a religious practice. That they think they can get away with this shows just how bad things have become.

It isn't really about keeping religion out of the schools; it's about keeping Christianity out, and letting other beliefs in.

I find it appalling how many people want to pretend there is no religious element to this, simply because it isn't Christian, and because Christian parents find it offensive. Well, next time you feel like complaining about a Christmas play, keep your current comments in mind. If you want to allow yoga, you can't whine about kids singing carols, either.
edit on 20-12-2012 by LadyGreenEyes because: added comment

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Kinda pales into insignificance when we're talking about the practice of eating christs flesh and drinking his blood...don't you think!...ridiculous...

A99

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I never understand insecurity in christians .I think deep down they question their faith also.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vishant
I never understand insecurity in christians .I think deep down they question their faith also.

This has nothing to do with insecurity. That's an arbitrary conjecture.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
all I could think was what's wrong with worshipping the one thing that keeps any of us alive...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join