It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian parents sue school over yoga classes.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I always thought this was just some type of exercise program but, apparently some parents are concerned that the religious aspects of this practice are not suitable to their children and do not belong in public schools.

Christian parents group to sue school over yoga classes
A group of Christian parents in California have threatened to sue a school district for introducing yoga in classrooms.

The Encinitas Union School District plans to offer yoga instruction at all of its nine schools from January, despite a protest by parents who say they believe it will indoctrinate their children in Eastern religion.

Mary Eady, a parent who has pulled her child out of yoga classes, said the pupils were learning to worship the sun and it was "inappropriate in our public schools."

School officials said there will be no chanting, prayer positions or cultural references. in an attempt to fend off any legal action names of yoga positions have been changed to terms like "airplane" and "pancake."

The programme will see 30-minute yoga lessons taught to 5,000 students, starting from kindergarten, twice a week.

Researchers at the University of San Diego and University of Virginia will study the results, including analysing data on students' resting heart rates.

The Telegraph

Apparently, yoga has its origins in Hindu theology from India.

Yoga (Sanskrit, Pāli: योग, /ˈjəʊɡə/, yoga) is a commonly known generic term for physical, mental, and spiritual disciplines which originated in ancient India. Specifically, yoga is one of the six āstika ("orthodox") schools of Hindu philosophy.

Hindu monks, beginning with Swami Vivekananda, brought yoga to the West in the late 19th century. In the 1980s, yoga became popular as a physical system of health exercises across the Western world. Many studies have tried to determine the effectiveness of yoga as a complementary intervention for cancer, schizophrenia, asthma and heart patients. In a national survey, long-term yoga practitioners in the United States reported musculo–skeletal and mental health improvements.

Wiki

I'm confused; is yoga a part of their religion or a part of a philosophical system? Is there really any difference?

Anyway, if the parents religious concerns weren't enough reason to wonder if this has a place in the public schools, apparently yoga is not recommended for children under 16 anyway.

PediatricsThe American Yoga Association states, "Yoga exercises are not recommended for children under 16 because their bodies’ nervous and glandular systems are still growing, and the effect of Yoga exercises on these systems may interfere with natural growth." However, meditation and simple breathing exercises (without breath-holding) are safe and can help children to manage stress, impulsiveness, and emotional situations.

Wiki

I'm not sure how valid the parent's religious objections are but, I think the schools should take the recommendation of the American Yoga Association more seriously and should do more investigation into this before offering it at so many schools.

I wonder what the Atheists think about all of this; is this injecting religion into the classroom?

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
This can't be allowed.... our children may learn spiritual truths......

All they need is an Ipad.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
All I could do when I read that was shake my head. I'm not sure there's anything else to add other than that.

EDIT: Yoga can be used for spiritual purposes, or just as a sort of exercise. There are hundreds of yoga classes all over the United States, and the students of such are a diverse crowd.

Diversity. Something that (unfortunately) a lot of Christians in America like this don't seem to like. They seem to think that yoga infers religious practice, and that it's a very evil thing that we shouldn't be teaching to youngsters.

Telling them Bible stories need to be taken literally, that's okay. So is forcing your moral disposition on the rest of Americans because of your own insecurities. That's perfectly fine. Yoga? EEEEVIIIIIILLLLLL
edit on 19-12-2012 by ManjushriPrajna because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Thats just silly... Yoga is simply a form of exercise...

Yes its practiced in Hinduism... but if it helps children get off their asses and away from the TV once in a while... who cares?

I'd bet if these children came home and told their parents they were being taught Kung fu in school, there would be no arguements... Yet that martial art also came from a religion that wasn't "Christianity"

I think theres bigger concerns in the school system then being taught yoga...

Some people just need a good slap

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

yoga positions have been changed to terms like "airplane" and "pancake."

So ... it's sun worship or airplane worship.

Got it! Capitalism beats common sense.

Some people -

Yoga is good limbering exercise. I was taught yoga as a teenager and there wasn't an ounce of religion tossed into the mix.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Yoga is an excercise. I highly doubt that the teachers will be teaching them hinduism in the process. As for teaching philosophy? Well, philosophy is a subject is it not? I know it was in my high school.. What's wrong with grade schoolers learning philosophy? Philosophy isn't religion..

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
We do modified yoga in my classroom. Why? It refocuses and calms the kids. The breathing and the stretches help them concentrate. Pure and simple.

Personally, I believe it should be a requirement in schools. Not the religious aspects, just the breathing and stretching.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I just had a thought... Schools teach non-violence. So does Buddhism... Hmmmmmmm.... Sounds like religeous indoctrination to me.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I find this rather amusing. The insecurity is so telling, I don't even have to explain it. Great work, Christians, you've nailed it. You've totally proven your mania.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Call it stretching and breathing exercises. Problem solved.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
This is silly.

It's like refusing someone to learn Shaolin style Tai Chi Kung Fu because of the association with Buddhism.

The intolerance and superstition people adopt in adhering to some religious mythology is often ridiculous to baffling extremes.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
All I get from this is a new "christian" mantra -- Happiness through ignorance.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
its really sad how stupid some people are... please let friday be the end of this world to cleanse it from all of the entire human race... We deserve everything we get.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Oh that made me laugh out loud!
"some people just need a good slap", brilliant!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam

yoga positions have been changed to terms like "airplane" and "pancake."

So ... it's sun worship or airplane worship.

Got it! Capitalism beats common sense.

Some people -

Yoga is good limbering exercise. I was taught yoga as a teenager and there wasn't an ounce of religion tossed into the mix.

"I pledge allegiance to TSA and IHOP..."

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I thought the parent's concerns were pretty silly as well. I actually had to look up how yoga was associated with religious practices and even after reading the Wiki article, still wasn't convinced there was anything for those parents to worry about.

I also wanted to hear the Atheist's opinion on this since they are so big about that separation of church and state thing. I figured if they weren't bothered, then the parent's beef was probably over nothing.

The thing that does concern me though is the recommendation of the American Yoga Association that children younger than 16 shouldn't participate. Are there really risks to their development that can be caused by yoga? Is the yoga that's practiced in these schools that advanced or do they just do the stretching and breathing exercises to help them focus?

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I think it's additionally silly that positions are being renamed, anglicized to "pancake", or "airplane", and other such.

Do they have a cupcake position? What about the "No bars, phone won't work" position?

We should dedicate the rest of this thread to making up anglicized alternative names for positions like:
Toast Falls Butter Side Down.

edit on 19-12-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Physical education, and participation in healthy activity is very necessary, and schools should provide require it of the children.
The teachings of Yogi are religous in nature and do not belong in the school unless it is an elective class such as religous studies.

en.wikipedia.org...
wol.jw.org...

"The Background of Yoga

The origin of the word “yoga” is related to that of the English word “yoke.” It can mean to join or yoke together or to bring under a yoke, to harness or control. To a Hindu, yoga is a technique or a discipline that leads to union with a great supernatural force or spirit. It has been described as “the yoking of all the powers of body, mind and soul to God.” "

edit on 19-12-2012 by Xcouncil=wisdom because: add another link

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

It seems atheists are primarily concerned with Christianity and, to a lesser extent, Islam. They don't really seem to care about other stuff as much, that is, they don't really seem as passionate about them.

But an atheist would probably take the same stance as most of us: Yoga is not an inherently religious practice, but it's not advisable for kids under 16 to be doing yoga.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Good for them, at least some Christians are awake in this day and age.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join