It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A call to all veterans! Guard our schools!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I have seen multiple pictures of a few veteran men in our country, standing guard at school entrances. I for one believe this is a great idea, even though they may not be armed, it could still be enough to ward of any perpetrators that wish to do harm to our children. Also it would be a great idea for local communities to get together to formulate an idea that they endorse, and not one pushed by the federal governments agenda. My community is taking proactive step via volunteers to stand guard and patrol school grounds.
What is everyone's idea on proactive measures we could take that do not involve all the slug pace of government legislation?

FB page with Marine pic standing guard. If anyone else find more pictures like this one please post here.
Thank you.
www.facebook.com...

Facebook.com/catcountry987....
edit on 19-12-2012 by imagineering because: link will not post.

edit on 19-12-2012 by imagineering because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I'm all for someone volunteering for this but there needs to be a standardized traning with specific parameters on identifying and engaging a potential threat. Otherwise this has the potential to attract guys like George Zimmerman

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
S/F - I hope to see many more photos flooding this thread!

Love to see people helping out where they can!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I just had a conversation with a coworker earlier about armed guards at schools. He of course mentioned the tax burden.

I said millions, if not billions, of our tax dollars go to the military already so why not use National Guard troops to guard our children. The issue with this of course is that we then skirt the slippery slope of us becoming a police state.

Something has to be done though.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

Certainly agreed and such training could possibly be donated or the community could get together to raise the money for such a fee. Above all things, the protection of our most valuable resources need protection. I was trained in CPR, First Aid and crisis response for very minimal expenses. So it is no unreasonable goal.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

Once again, agreed. The retired veterans would not pose a tax burden though, they would either do it on a volunteer basis or, the local community could foot the bill. Most likely I could see such a veteran being the father/mother of one or more of the children at the scholl he/she is guarding so the willingness will not enable a cost marked for profit.
edit on 19-12-2012 by imagineering because: proper english

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Wow, talk about paranoia......... There are like 99,000 schools, one got shot up. Now people want to place the military at all these schools? Get a grip, for real....... If that gets implemented, expect your property taxes to double or triple to pay for it.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
While I do not intend to take away from the "warm and fuzzy" is there really such a pandemic of school massacres that we need to organize a nation wide movement to post people at schools?

With them being unarmed are they just going to stand there and look scary to make the bad men go away?

What would they honestly be in a situation similar to what just happened in CT? They would be the first to die that is what. These men as much as they would like to think themselves bullet proof, die just like the rest of us.

Now let's honestly address the real problem of the ENTIRE situation. Mental Health issues. War veterans are more likely to have brain injuries and PTSD which are all contributing items to people dropping off their rockers and doing stupid crap like what just happened.

So you want to put these guys there to "guard" your children....

Link

For the record I am a vet myself.

edit on 19-12-2012 by Doom and Gloom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by imagineering

I agree with you 100%. I am a retired veteran and would be more than willing to guard the school that my children attend on a volunteer basis on my days off.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Doom and Gloom

Thank you you for you're input, and duly noted.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I agree, people need to get a grip for sure.

This is getting silly.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The unfortunate truth about having vets pull guard duty on our schools is that in today's social environment the situation would be an insurance nightmare of absolutely prohibitive proportions. No company in the world would be willing to take on the risk and the schools hands would be legally tied due to the culpability issues.

The whole machine is #ed.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
My local walmart has more security then my local elementary school. The presence of authority or security does inhibit those who are paranoid or wish to pre-meditate crime. This is proven true in most scenerios, unarmed guards to thwart crime.

Please note, my intention here is to spark proactivity at a local level for our young ones. Not the call for active military, not the implementation of a police state. So far the only ones stepping up to the plate have been retired vets. Not congress, not trolls on ATS, no one....

These vets have been a good example....yes some may have PTSD, but so do allot of those who serve on the police force or who are doctors, teachers, ATS members, cashiers at McDonalds, but knowing this is never an excuse to why we should back off on doing something about it.

I dont care about all the debates and arguments, the misconceptions or assumptions. Fact is, our children need better protection. PERIOD.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Although I do have a respect for our veterans, I know a few of them who should not be allowed to be guarding the schools. A couple of my friends that were in Vietnam have some issues from the war even now many years later. I'm sure some of the soldiers from Iraq have the same issues, something they will live with for their whole life. Most of the Veterans could still do the job but excluding the ones that shouldn't could also cause some problems, making them feel inferior. There is a lot of stress being a war, it can cause a lot of issues that last a long time. The National guard may be able to help, they may have knowledge of who would be good to pick.

It is important to understand that some of these problems appear to be gone but may just be hidden. Hopefully a soldier will recognize this and try to stay away from a job around these areas where there may be mouthy disrespectful kids that say they don't have to listen to you and you can't touch them. There are some really bad mouthed kids in schools........Maybe giving teachers who have to put up with this all the time guns is not such a good idea either
Maybe getting a well disciplined martial arts instructor isn't a good idea either
I'm sure not crazy enough to want that job, you think Vietnam was hard on a person

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Very good points, much appreciated.
edit on 19-12-2012 by imagineering because: spell check

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I can't possibly state how much I think it is a bad idea to have military personnel posted at our schools. I like the intention, but in practice this is a very scary suggestion.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Why is one anomalous retard flipping out being treated like there is some sleeper insurgency just waiting to strike anywhere at anytime?

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Why is one anomalous retard flipping out being treated like there is some sleeper insurgency just waiting to strike anywhere at anytime?

Review the T&C. That was uncalled for.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by imagineering

Yeah there you go. That's what's important. Making sure feelings arent hurt.

You want to know what's uncalled for? Idiots running the world. Not knowing when you wake up if it's going to be a good day or a bad day yet because you havent yet checked to see how a bunch of phrenologist morons messed up your home, your finances, your liberty.

What's uncalled for is a sea of ignorant morons all getting together to decide what you can, would should do with your life.

I just got done listening to what I guess was supposed to be an informed discussion on firearm laws and neither the pro or con side had any clue what they were talking about. This was on CSPAN and the parties involved will no doubt have a part in this little exercise in stupidity that Biden is heading.

--- morons with their ignorant ---- blatantly flaunting that they have no goddamned clue what the hell they're talking about all discussing it with righteous pompous certainty that they're some sort of expert in the field.

That's what's uncalled for. The world hasnt changed one bit from the days of hunting witches and throwing people in prison for the shape of their skull.

Fear and stupidity rule the day and anyone with even the slightest glimmer of intelligence is caught in the crossfire.

So sorry if somewhere somebody got their feelings hurt but I hope you'll understand when I suggest that perhaps there are more pressing matters worthy of attention.
edit on 19-12-2012 by alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
One word. Proctors. If I were a proctor no one would step foot on school grounds with out my knowing their business there. If it takes fascism to protect these kids then let fascism rein to certain degrees of course.
edit on 19-12-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join