It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

define an "SAW" smei auto weapon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
OK so the debate goes on what is a "assault weapon" or rifle or even define a machine gun all of you are giving me and any one else a head ache so here is the CT justice dep definition www.jud.ct.gov... argue with them
edit on 19-12-2012 by bekod because: line edditing added link
if that one does not settle the issue this one might www.guncite.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Internet forums give you headaches?

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

This is what we called SAWs in the Army. Squad Automatic Weapon.

edit on 19-12-2012 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
If you go by that view than just about everything is an assault weapon.
hell my Chinese knock of copy of the yugo sks has a bayonet, grenade launcher sight, and ten round internal mag.
that was purchased before the end of the ban in 04 legally by a reputable dealer.

Edit: SAW is an acronym for Squad Automatic Weapon
edit on 19-12-2012 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
So................What is your point?
Other than you get a headache?

note. This isn't really a thread at all. Why didn't you add this to one of the 500 other threads on this subject?
edit on 19-12-2012 by redbarron626 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I assume you were thinking of Semi-automatic Assault Weapon.

However, SAW means 'Squad Automatic Weapon' which is a light machine gun carried by US ground forces at the squad level (hence the name) in contrast to the M-60, M-2 and other medium and heavy machine guns carried by the heavy weapons platoon.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

we are both right you use the military term where as I use the BATF meaning www.atf.gov...

On September 13, 1994, Congress passed the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, Public Law 103-322. Title IX, Subtitle A, Section 110105 of this Act generally made it unlawful to manufacture, transfer, and possess semiautomatic assault weapons (SAWs) and to transfer and possess large capacity ammunition feeding devices (LCAFDs). The law also required importers and manufacturers to place certain markings on SAWs and LCAFDs, designating they were for export or law enforcement/government use. Significantly, the law provided that it would expire 10 years from the date of enactment. Accordingly, effective 12:01 am on September 13, 2004, the provisions of the law ceased to apply and the following provisions of the regulations in Part 478 no longer apply:
so yes a SAW is an semi auto weapon

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
OK so the debate goes on what is a "assault weapon" or rifle or even define a machine gun all of you are giving me and any one else a head ache so here is the CT justice dep definition www.jud.ct.gov... argue with them
if that one does not settle the issue this one might www.guncite.com...

Every gun is an "assault weapon", because every gun can be used to assault someone. The media defines an "assault weapon" as a scary looking rifle that looks like a military rifle. The term "assault rifle" was coined by the anti-gun establishment to scare the ignorant masses into believing that an AR-15 is more dangerous than a regular old hunting rifle, when in fact it is not. Granted, the AR-15 has a higher round capability, but as a law abiding gun owner, who is supposedly trusted by the government to own a gun due to me passing a background check, if they can trust me with one bullet, then they can trust me with 50, or 100, etc..

There hasn't been ONE full auto weapon or a machine gun used in any of these mass shootings. The AR-15, as well as most semi-auto rifles are gas operated. When the trigger is pulled, the round fires. The gas pressure from the round firing pushes the bolt back, ejecting the spent cartridge and then chambering a new round. This process happens with every press of the trigger. A full auto, such as the M-16 operates the same way in regards to gas pressure, therefore it IS NOT a machine gun. The term machine gun gets misused by an ignorant, complicit media, and then repeated by the parrot American sheeple. The M-2 Browning .50 cal is a machine gun. In other words, the firing process is not gas operated, it is operated and rounds are cycled through a machine process.

99.999999% of all gun owners do not own full auto weapons. The first reason is that they are VERY expensive. A used, Vietnam era M-16 will start at $10,000 and go up from there. A full auto BAR (Browning Automattic Rifle) made famous by Bonnie and Clyde will start at $25,000 and go up to $50,000. An M-60 will start at $15,000 and go up from there. There is also the extensive paperwork, fees, and ATF federal background checks that one must go through in order to obtain the legal paperwork to own one of these weapons. So you see, this entire kneejerk reaction to this tragedy is nothing more than a bunch of ignorant talking heads trying to push forth an agenda, and an equally ignorant public buys into it and then makes emotionally based decisions based on falsehoods.

The AR-15 has gained a lot of media attention as of late. It has been called a machine gun... a full auto... a military grade high powered rifle... and none of that is true. The 5.56/.223 round is one of the weaker rifle rounds available. It starts to tumble in the air after a few hundred yards. A world class shooter could hit a target from about 700 yards with an AR-15, but the average Joe, even with training and experience would be good to hit a target from 400 yards, even with a scope. The AR-15 looks mean and scary. That's it. That is why it has gotten so much attention.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
so yes a SAW is an semi auto weapon

Another example of law makers using terms they know nothing about. squad automatic weapons have been around since before WW2. This law was written in what, 1994? Lawyers don't know crap about weapons, people. Don't let them write the laws that govern them.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
In my experience, the term SAW is coined in reference to a man portable light machine gun.

Squad Automatic Weapon refers to weapons such as the MG 42, PKP, M60 and M249.

Weapons like the AK 47 and M16 are standard issue infantry assault rifles.

top topics

join