It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NuSTAR has Detected a Huge Explosion in the Center of our Galaxy and inbound...

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Well actually our universe is estimated to only be 13.5 billion years old and so those particles will still take another 12.5 billion years to get here though they wont becuase of all the stars in the way that would absorb them not to mention they would not have the energy to escape the inner galactic center so nothing to worry about!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockstrongo37
Honestly....have some self control here...your thread title would have it appear that this was going to happen tomorrow...really...why is it there are people like you that only want to spread fear to others...I swear when after tomorrow I hope ATS boots all of those who have been perpetuating the crazy 2012 nonsense for the last few years.

I agree with you 100% but even the trolls should have the right to free speech! I find it unfortunate how so many of these people are so intent on causing their fear to spread. Is'nt there enough fear perpetuated by the corporate media? Do we really need to bring that kind of thinking to the internet? The only way the world will end is by the hands of men and if we keep spreading fear instead of hope this will become a reality! Just becuase some of you trolls have miserable lives does'nt mean you have the right to impose your misery onto the rest of us! Get a life, stop trolling and you too can be happy!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I was with you until you posted the ridiculous video about solar flares.

They will not turn the sky red.

They will not wipe out the internet/electricity.

Ever since that god awful nicolas cage movie everything thinks a solar flare will ingulf the planet in flames, i'm sorry to say that is very very wrong.

The earth is protected by it's magnetic field, making it almost impossible for a flare to penetrate to the earth. And very most it might knock out a few sattelites, but even that is pretty iffy(i believe it happened one time in the last 50 years.

But if solar flares are what you're are scared of then I really don't think you have anything to fear.

It would be more likely for an asteroid to hit the planet then a solar flare to do anything monumental.

Aside from all that, very interesting discovery by Nasa as usual. Sometimes I think they have "scenarios" locked away in a vault that they just like to release at strategic times to keep themselves credible. Thats just me though.
edit on 21-12-2012 by OGOldGreg because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Seems we have to many sensitive souls on here so I will repost my deleted post and make it as generic as possible.

If someone decides to post a thread from information from another website they should at least look at all the information given before putting a different slant on it.

Now either members on here deliberately ignore information on the sites they get info from to make up threads OR they don't actually read all the info given,after all many people have already pointed out the problem with the conclusions regarding the image in the OP.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Preflare and postflare seems the same... I think that is something periodical or of impuls character... Is there a danger increasing level of radiation of any range down to The Earth?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
How much of an effect does gravitational lensing play in our perception of this event?
edit on 12/21/2012 by PrplHrt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Flux8

It is a measurement of both. No?

No. It is a unit of distance.
Like a foot. Like a yard. Like a mile.

edit on 12/20/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Sorry, my math is a bit fuzzy. I'm definitely not a mathematician nor physicist.

I thought that since a LY = d/t, then t = d/LY

LY = 9,460,887,210,432km / 31,558,118.4sec = 299,792.5km/sec

So 31,558,118.4sec = 9,460,887,210,432km / (299,792.5km/sec)
31,558,118.4sec = 31,558,118.4sec
which = 1
1 what?

I had to work it out for myself and see that the units cancel out. Jeez, I gotta hit the books again, heheh!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Flux8

I thought that since a LY = d/t

That's the problem. That is a simply a rate, in this case the speed of light. You have not included the duration (1 year). The correct formula is LY = d/t * t. That leaves you with d.

1 what?
One unit of distance. If calling it a lightyear is confusing call it a meeblewarp. One meeblewarp, the distance light travels in one year.
edit on 12/21/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Solar flares will normally mess with our radio waves.

As an example, back when I lived in Colorado back in the 80's, I remember picking up radio stations on the FM dial all the way from Chicago and New york.

At first they would start to fade in, sometimes they would be strong enough to wipe out our local stations, but after about 2 minutes would fade out again. Then the cycle would repeat minutes later.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Maybe a star hit the event horizon?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flux8
Sorry, my math is a bit fuzzy. I'm definitely not a mathematician nor physicist.

I thought that since a LY = d/t, then t = d/LY

Eh? A light year is a unit of distance, not speed. If we take LY as d and one Julian year as t, then the speed of light = LY/t.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 23-12-2012 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Even more accurately, a light year is a calculated distance based on our best ability to measure the speed of light over a relatively tiny distance, in an extremely tiny amount of time.

I did a little search, and it seems that the measurement of the speed of light has not been done in space.

math.ucr.edu...

www.lagrange.edu...

I would have thought that by now, an experiment would have been conducted with some deep space probe to actually measure the speed of light in space. We are not able to duplicate the vacuum of space in a lab. It seems that it is very possible that light moves at a very different speed in actual space, and we don't even have a clue about the nature of space outside of our sun's heliosphere.

Heck, even our calculations of the distances to the stars is pretty shaky, and in reality involves a whole lot of guess work.

We know that light speed changes depending on the media it moves through. Do we know how plasma effects the speed of light, being that we have a huge plasma sphere that surrounds our planet?

Light could be getting here from other stars a whole lot faster than we realize.

edit on 23-12-2012 by poet1b because: Typos

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join