It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NuSTAR has Detected a Huge Explosion in the Center of our Galaxy and inbound...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
reply to post by ZeussusZ

A year on Earth is a unit of time. It's the amount of time for the planet to complete one orbit around the Sun. About 365 days.

The way I understand it is if you know the average distance from the center of mass of both the earth and the sun can be represented in actual distance. 2 x pi x r^2. r = 1.49 x 10^8 km. earth orbital distance = 936,194,611 km = 1 earth year.

A lightyear is a measure of distance, the distance light travels in a year in a vacuum. The four letters "year" appear in there, but nevertheless it's a measure of distance, not duration. And in km it's about 9.46 x 10^12 km. So one's a measure of time. One's a measure of distance.

Yet 9.46 x 10^12 km / 936,194,611 km = 10,104.7 earth light years.
LY = ratio of distance over time. It is a measurement of both. No?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Flux8

It is a measurement of both. No?

No. It is a unit of distance.
Like a foot. Like a yard. Like a mile.

edit on 12/20/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
An "interesting" theory....

NASA witnessed an explosion at the centre of our galaxy which must have been travelling at the speed of light for thousands of yrs beccause of the distance from our solar system to where the centre of the galaxy is, and this is recently been observed and i have to say it is terrifying because the speed of light or light which travels at the speed of light, has arrived at an optical device orbiting planet earth, so what you might say, let me try and help you understand this, you will get an EMP pulse off the detonation from a nuclear device before you encounter the blast, it is very difficult for anything molecular or even on the scale of frequency to travel at the speeds of light, now think about that, there is something behind the light that was optically observed from NASA, such as x rays, gamma rays, alpha beta and cosmic particles following at a slightly slower speed than that of light. when this arrives is only a question of speed against distance and forecasting ahead, NASA know when the photos were taken and these observations recorded, they know what speeds particles travel at from such exotic explosions, they know the time to the minute, and i am just going to leave it here because i do not know those specifics, i only know that light will be the first sign of things to come with relation to the speed of light.

I find the title of the thread and the way you have presented this story from October very misleading.

Can you please confirm where the 'interesting theory' that you quoted above originated? Source please.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
ah, not to worry, i see now you pulled some of quote from the youtube poster. you didn't post all his comment which made it a little confusing.

so you have taken a legit little piece from NASA and mashed it up with a nutty little youtube video to conclude that the supermassive explosion in the centre of our galaxy is about to hit us and destroy us.

this is getting ridiculous. take a legit NASA article throw in something random bunk and the reader does not know what is legit and what is fantasy.

and i am the bigger bloody fool for reading this crap.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
reply to post by PapagiorgioCZ

Gamma got here at exactly the same time as xray and visible light, because they're all EM. The only way it might not is if the beam had to travel through something dispersive and dense enough to make a difference, which is unlikely.

Originally posted by gymbeau2000
I'm very glad to see all these other science-minded people posting on this. Please educate yourselves, people, before you post. I thought it was elementary school level to know that gamma rays/x-rays/visible light and all spectrum are light and move at the speed of light.

Of course they are. We were talking about the delay of havier particles at the moment. They are not the same speed. In case of such X-ray flashing the explosions weren't dynamic enough to accelerate heavy particles to such a speed. Gamma ray type of explosion on the other hand can accelerate matter to those 99,995%
I think the only thing we may worry about from such a distance are thin streams of particles at gamma energies. However our Sgr.A is ejaculating those streams to the south and north of the plane (at some angle maybe) - no friendly fire. At least as long as there isn't game changing second black hole. (There should be at least second one from Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy which we possibly come from but it's just a BTW)

edit on 20/12/2012 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (no reason given)

edit on 20/12/2012 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by itsallintheegg

lol....what is a serpent gate?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
The Milky Way is thought to be absorbing a couple of dwarf galaxies, such as the Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy. Perhaps the gas and other stuff from those galaxies periodically makes its way to the black hole, creating those outbursts of radiation. I don't see any reason to thing that the outburst captured by NuSTAR is in any way unique or unusual. Our supermassive black hole is pretty active.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bone75

Originally posted by Bronagh

Originally posted by Arken

Originally posted by Char-Lee
reply to post by Arken

Wouldn't it take a long long time to reach us?

I'm no an astronomer, but if we se now (today) this huge flare in the middle of the galaxy, this means that the explosion is old of several billion years and maybe ir right the angle...

maybe I'm wrong.

If we are 26.000 (roughly) light years away from the middle of the galaxy, and we see a flash from there, then that flash happened 26.000 years ago, not billions.

And what if it flashes every 26,000 years?

If it flashed every 26.000 years, we would see it every 26.000 years (again roughly, it's not the exact distance), but I'm not sure that's the answer you're looking for is it?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

So we got a new doomsday thread topic! Dec 21st, 28012!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyAnonymous
This topic and thread has been chosen to be discussed by the ATS LIVE crew this Saturday between 6-9pm pst (9-12 est), as part of this weeks exciting "Turbo Topics" segment.

We are running 256kbps through the ATS Player but we now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at Illustrial Website.

You can connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here. ATSLive on ShoutCast

For more information and past shows, be sure to check out the ATSLive Show Threads Here.

Hope you'll listen in to the show!
Johnny

Heya, thanks for the note on the Saturday show. I haven't made time to catch one of those yet (I know I know....-sticks paw out to slap-)

I have to ask something...and this is as much on that general line of thinking as anything else for thread topic, I'd imagine. However, if the show is Saturday, and we're all going to die together tomorrow......do you know something about the layout and transmission facilities in Heaven we aren't aware of?
Perhaps we all need Ouija Boards in advance.

All thrown out in good humor, mind you. This is getting tense and stressful enough for some folks, a laugh never hurts right? (imagines ATS show staff in glowing white togas in a land of clouds and vague definitions....Hmm... Naww.. can't picture it!)
edit on 20-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Bronagh

It flashes a lot more often than that.

This image from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory shows the center of our Galaxy, with a supermassive black hole known as Sagittarius A* (Sgr A* for short) in the center. Using intermittent observations over several years, Chandra has detected X-ray flares about once a day from Sgr A*. The flares have also been seen in infrared data from ESO's Very Large Telescope in Chile.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I wonder if the flares are regular, predictable, like a pulsar.

Anyone know?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
the center of the galaxy, at least according to the original article, is 26k light years away. Light travels at roughly 186,000 miles a second. 31,536,000 (seconds in a year) x186,000=5,865,696,000,000 miles a year. Multiply that by 26,000 and you get some big ass number, which is how many miles the center of the galaxy is from earth. Since we just saw the explosion in July, and Einstein said nothing travels faster than the speed of light, we only have about 25,999 years and 6 months left to live. EVERYBODY PANIC!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Nothing to see here.. Just a deliberate alarmist post by the OP

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeussusZ
reply to post by Bedlam

Ok I think I got you.
So what I need is the distance the earth travels around the sun? I thought that would have been done by now for some reason

Not at all. Look - there's no such thing as an "earthyear" the way there is a "lightyear". You don't need anything, because nothing at all will convert times to distances. You're trying to equate two things that can't be equated.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lompyt
reply to post by Bedlam

Some of us beleive there have been civilisations living on earth for a very long time

I know. And it's amazing that I can find spear points and potsherds from earlier times, but not one screw, cola can or glass bottle from that advanced civilization.

, maybe the after affects of the blast earlier in the year will take affect around now. Something doesnt have to happen tomoro, look at all the crazy weather recently. I think the next year will be very interesting, good luck and love to you all.

Some miniscule influx of gamma or x rays isn't really going to have a long term effect. Where were you in 1979? Did you "feel" the burst then? That one had macro level effects.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
so basically another " ohh nooooo its coming at us" thread but in the end its pointless

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by blackz28

Tell me you're surprised.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

There are dozens of stars constantly erupting there.

What you show here is actually less than if one of those stars were gobbled up.

Go home, there's nothing happening the 21st. It was a false prophecy. It's over.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Sounds like one of the pulses from the super wave theory.....right on time

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join