It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NuSTAR has Detected a Huge Explosion in the Center of our Galaxy and inbound...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
It seems to me that the energy would travel just a bit differently in speeds and the most obvious example I can think of without trying is the 1859 Carrington Event

In that case, you had two different things. EM, which all got there at the same time, and particle flux, which got there later.

In this case, all the gamma/xray/light is all EM. It all goes the same speed. It's all hit and gone.

And at this distance, you have to consider the density of any particle emission to be as close to zero as it gets - it's spread far and wee. 26,000 light years makes for a big sphere.

The only way you get EM of differing energies going at differing speeds is in a dispersive medium. Vacuum won't do it. Normal space particulates aren't dense enough nor dispersive enough to make a difference you could measure. You can see it in air, though. Or glass. Dispersion is why prisms work. But space, no. So it all got here and is gone.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

A few cosmic rays amongst billions of others.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I'm very glad to see all these other science-minded people posting on this. Please educate yourselves, people, before you post. I thought it was elementary school level to know that gamma rays/x-rays/visible light and all spectrum are light and move at the speed of light.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Bedlam

A few cosmic rays amongst billions of others.

Hopefully it wasn't a system full of nice beings that went down the rabbit hole. A planet of Gandhis, or Einsteins, or poets or something.

All bravely watching the end come, then, zip! the planet's irradiated, torn to pieces, and gone in a blink. And all we see is a few extra neutrinos, a cosmic ray or two, a tiny burst of x-rays, as they all become pure light.

Just a tiny, unobservably dim, blink. Make a wish.

edit to add:

AHA! I wondered where my subconscious was going with that. A story for you all, one that's not too long, about four or five single spaced pages. It's PDF. It's a Christmas story about a star, in this case, timely and appropriate. One of those I read in the barn loft as a pre-teen near Toccoa so long ago. I don't have the book anymore. But it lives on, on the net...

The Star, by Arthur C. Clarke
edit on 19-12-2012 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
reply to post by Arken

Wouldn't it take a long long time to reach us?

What is there to stop gamma rays from travelling as fast as the light that we see visually? Space is a vacuum and they are both energy waves.
edit on 19-12-2012 by TomServo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

366.22 days this year.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

how far does light travel in a light year? How long would it take the earth at its current speed to travel that distance?
I might be missing some basic understanding here but at the moment I can't see it

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeussusZ

A year on Earth is a unit of time. It's the amount of time for the planet to complete one orbit around the Sun. About 365 days.

A lightyear is a measure of distance, the distance light travels in a year in a vacuum. The four letters "year" appear in there, but nevertheless it's a measure of distance, not duration. And in km it's about 9.46 x 10^12 km. So one's a measure of time. One's a measure of distance.

Don't feel bad, Lucas did the same thing in Star Wars - a parsec is a unit of distance, but he thought it was time and screwed up, despite the frantic handwaving by legions of fanbois all desperately trying to retcon it for their master.

You can't convert times to distances by mathematics - they're two different units. The phrase you occasionally hear in sci-fi "Earth years" isn't a distance the way you get with "lightyears". A Pluto Year would still be a time, in this case, about 248 Earth years. But it doesn't convert into a distance somehow.

For one, light in flat space travels in a straight line. The Earth doesn't. It's actually damned hard to know how far it DOES move in a year. It's corkscrewing around the Sun, the Sun is moving around the galactic center, the galaxy is moving in interstellar space. It's not an easy thing to define.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Bronagh

Not to be funny or anything but if this explosion happened 26000 years ago and we see it now that is a WOOOW.
isn't it a 26000 year cycle that everyone is talking about. Doesn't the alignment happen about that same time according the the ancients. Could this be a coincidence or is this possibly what was being spoken of. That every 26000 years or so we get hit by a massive gama burst from the center of the galaxy during the alignment. I don't really know for sure but isn't it kind of interesting that this explosion would have happened around the turn of the last 26000 year cycle. Just a thought.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by itsallintheegg
Wow. I hope this is what we've been waiting for.
Activate the serpent gate!!!

Well that doesn't sound sinister or anything.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptNemo2012
Could this be a coincidence or is this possibly what was being spoken of. That every 26000 years or so we get hit by a massive gama burst from the center of the galaxy during the alignment. I don't really know for sure but isn't it kind of interesting that this explosion would have happened around the turn of the last 26000 year cycle. Just a thought.

For that to be true, one, you'd have to have had very advanced civilizations with at least orbital capability 52,000 and 26,000 years ago. Otherwise, how would you know it happens "every 26,000 years"? Next, it would actually have to be periodic, and as stated, you get x-ray flares from this thing constantly. And finally, the gamma rays came and went. They were near to undetectable as could be. And nothing happened. You didn't even know it. It's already occurred.

So, somehow, the Ancient Ancients left a note for the Ancients, and then all vanished in time except for some New Age "prophecy" that we get a gamma burst during "the alignment" and that message is - there's a nearly undetectable 26,000 year periodic phenomenon. OMFG. Make sure you've got a really sensitive x-ray sat in orbit or you'll miss it.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Some of us beleive there have been civilisations living on earth for a very long time, maybe the after affects of the blast earlier in the year will take affect around now. Something doesnt have to happen tomoro, look at all the crazy weather recently. I think the next year will be very interesting, good luck and love to you all.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
This topic and thread has been chosen to be discussed by the ATS LIVE crew this Saturday between 6-9pm pst (9-12 est), as part of this weeks exciting "Turbo Topics" segment.

We are running 256kbps through the ATS Player but we now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at Illustrial Website.

You can connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here. ATSLive on ShoutCast

For more information and past shows, be sure to check out the ATSLive Show Threads Here.

Hope you'll listen in to the show!
Johnny

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

The time series at right shows a flare caught by NuSTAR over an observing period of two days in July;

www.nustar.caltech.edu...

Only an opinion about Nasa luck: what I find really Anomalous, Strange and very, very Suspect, because I do not believe it was "luck", IS the "JUST IN TIME" of the NuSTAR probe that reach to detect this Huge, Incredible, Anomalous, (UNIQUE?) EVENT, in 48 hours of detection campaign when "Pointing X-ray Eyes at our Resident Supermassive Black Hole" at the centre of the Galaxy....

Two days.....
This is absolutely impossible, in my opinion.

NuSTAR was on the right place, at the right moment...

NASA know something more about this event?

edit on 20-12-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

this Huge, Incredible, Anomalous, (UNIQUE?) EVENT

Why do you say it was anomalous? Why do you think it was unique?

edit on 12/20/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Arken

this Huge, Incredible, Anomalous, (UNIQUE?) EVENT

Why do you say it was anomalous? Why do you think it was unique?

Why do you say it was not? Why do you think it wasn't unique?
edit on 20-12-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

www.eso.org...
www.researchgate.net...*
www.researchgate.net...*_New_Coordinated_mm_to_X-Ray_Observations
arxiv.org...

Want more?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21
reply to post by Char-Lee

Wouldn't it take a long long time to reach us?

I think it's like 26000 years, so nothing to worry about really, because I reckon it will take about 13.5 million years for any charged particles to reach us.
edit on 19-12-2012 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

lol how ridiculously uneducated are some of you people. That light from the explosion would have taken countless years to reach us. So it's obvious that what ever caused it happened an extremely long time ago, and that the energy/light from that event is just reaching us now, hence our ability to detect it.

EDIT: my bad, I see you were talking about how long it would take for the particles from the explosion to reach us.
edit on 20/12/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Ok I think I got you.
So what I need is the distance the earth travels around the sun? I thought that would have been done by now for some reason

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Oh. Come on. You know you want more. Ok, ok. Here you go.

This image from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory shows the center of our Galaxy, with a supermassive black hole known as Sagittarius A* (Sgr A* for short) in the center. Using intermittent observations over several years, Chandra has detected X-ray flares about once a day from Sgr A*. The flares have also been seen in infrared data from ESO's Very Large Telescope in Chile.

www.nasa.gov...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join