It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Video Games Are Good

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Violence from video game is transferred into real life is statement old politician fools like to make without knowing anything, much like 90% of the things they legislate and pass rules on.

You can't pass rules unless you experience it.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

I totally agree
I suppose at times I am a avid gamer but I never let it stop me learning new skills in the real world, I may not be able to build a house yet but I'm still young. However I can grow multiple types of fruit and veg do woodwork and loads of other skills that are becoming "redundent". We live in societies in the west where people usually get others to do jobs for them. These people will go cold or starve if this planet comes to a halt from the way we do things.

It is all about moderation, I know people who I went to school with and they don't do nothing here is a typical day for them:

1.wake up in the afternoon
2.watch TV
3.Eat
4.Play games for hours and hours
5.watch X factor and other TV garbage with food
6.Play games then sleep

Notice no facebook, snacks or toilet breaks that is because they will be on facebook all day via phone while scoffing their faces on rubbish and toilet breaks? only when needed.
People die from living like this and it is a shameful waste of life and potential, the thing is the lazy will be lazy.

Regardless if it's games,TV or in my fathers day... the pub people like this will find ways to avoid work so it's not really the games themselves that the problem is on the case of lost potential.

Another fact about video games is a lot machinery is controlled by similar software and controllers as games, Virtual technology has been used a while in certain fields for training and we already live in a world where things are literally controlled by xbox or playstation gamepads like drones for instance.

So there is some hope for those lazy gamers

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Interesting... how you bring another topic into this topic.. i'm sure that is a T&C Violation.

I would like to reply but not like to derail this thread.

Respect as a member on ATS for you goes

Have you self assessed by a Psychologist before posting. You seem to have an emotional problem, hope you don't carry out any plans.

edit on 12/20/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/20/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

Ahh the typical schedule...nice point.
I once knew what that was like.
When I was young (10-16) it was:

Eat.
Game.
Sleep.

Then I grew up a bit. I'm 31 now.
I realized how much life I missed out on.
Didn't truly happen until my early twenties though.
That's when I decided to get in great shape and stay that way.
I've learned to construct and fix just about anything.
Also learned to live on my own and grow just about anything.
Now, in the winter months when I can't do much, I play games occasionally.
But it remains just a mere glimmer of what it used to be.

I like being outside or working on something productive much more.
Games, to me, were just a way to keep me inside the house.
I couldn't get anything accomplished!

I learned real fast how to change that ideal...
And I learned I have multiple talents that were hindered with games.
The only way I could polish my skills were with practice, not video games.

I always say, games are fun, but life is much more so!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

You said it. Dont let the ignorant legislate.

Should you not be consistent in your view regardless of the topic?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Thats not the point, the point of the thread is whether or not video games are good, nothing to do with gun legislature, quit trying to derail the thread

Back on topic, as far a benefit of video games, I know they use video game technology for medical training, flight training, the military uses it to train pilots and tankers. THey now even use a 3d virtual reality package to train ground troops in house clearing and such

If youre concerned about young children playing violent video games, the solution is simple: DONT BUY THEM FOR YOUR KIDS.
Most games like call of duty, modern warfare are rated M, so an adult has to buy it for them

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

Thats not the point, the point of the thread is whether or not video games are good, nothing to do with gun legislature, quit trying to derail the thread

They influence mailable minds and desensitize them to violence and destruction and push them toward violent outbursts.

Do these simple alleged benefits that can be learned anywhere outweigh the sociological costs?

We can say the medicinal, cultural, culinary and anthropological benefits of alcohol are great too but then some drunk gets hammered and plows a car into a playground full of kids.

Is it worth it?

Booze is for adults and so are M rated games and firearms. That doesnt stop kids from getting a hold of them.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

well then MAN UP and watch what your kids are doing!!!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

well then MAN UP and watch what your kids are doing!!!

This is America. We blame everything but the actor. What my kids do is the governments responsibility backed by opinion of mob rule. It has nothing to do with me or personal responsibility of any kind.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The problem is that the video games make you less active and you may increase your chances of getting a stroke or other disability. Just go outside and do something, anything can work the mind. The only good reason for a video game is it tends to lighten our effect on the environment.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

so youre trying to say what your kids do or dont do IS NOT your responsibility???
Good God, I hope you dont have children
edit on 12/20/2012 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Back on topic, as far a benefit of video games, I know they use video game technology for medical training, flight training, the military uses it to train pilots and tankers. THey now even use a 3d virtual reality package to train ground troops in house clearing and such

If youre concerned about young children playing violent video games, the solution is simple: DONT BUY THEM FOR YOUR KIDS.
Most games like call of duty, modern warfare are rated M, so an adult has to buy it for them

Exactly good point

If children are watching gruesome films or playing video games that are similar then the parents are to blame and I can imagine in the US the legislation is more on top than here in the UK when it comes to controlling what kids can buy. If the parents complain about it the simple answer is do not buy them for your children it is not for their age group anyway.

The only thing associated with games with the possibility of sending people insane would be subliminal messages that I pointed out in the thread, unfortunately I know little about that.

So if a game has altered somebodies way of thinking or desensitized them from reality other than not getting out much, I believe it has nothing to do with games but with bad education, up-bringing or they have mental issues. I could elaborate more on it but that would be off topic

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I'd be curious to see if gamers get in less car accidents than non gamers.

The way I see it: A gamer is constantly shifting his eyes to and fro, checking different things. For instance, in an FPS eyes are constantly shifting from the center of the screen where the crosshairs would be down to the hud to check health, ammo, etc and typically as quickly as possible so as not to get killed. To me, it would seem like a hardcore FPS player would be a better driver. Shifting their eyes from the road ahead to check speed, gas, and even other things off to the left and right, such as signs, people, etc, would be more natural to them and as a result they would be much more efficient at it.

Just my thoughts on one small subject.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
This issue wouldnt be such a talking point if dumbass parents didnt keep buying their kids 18 rated games

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
For me, the worst thing about games is that if you aren't really careful, you can lose whole days to the things.
I've sometimes spent what seems like an hour playing, only to discover its actually 4 am and I've wasted the evening.
These days I rarely play, and when I do, I set a hard limit, like an hour, then get off the ps3.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I wouldn't be a tree- and animal-hugging animist had my earliest years not been infused with Squaresoft goodness.

I also taught myself Japanese (reading and spoken) with the aid of video games.

And I started playing the piano because... One Winged Angel knocked my twelve-year-old socks off and Nobuo Uematsu is cool as hell! Music is one of THE most important things in my life and it has been for 14 years. I've had bands, played piano solo for crowds and love to muck around with home studio software.

When exposure to high-grade art on any level inspires you to explore the depths of the world and your soul, it's served its purpose.

My problem with a lot of games now is that they reek of Illuminati-infiltrated, life-hating drivel. Where have all the animists gone?

The stories in games aren't what they used to be (on a whole). The music isn't the same. But the graphics are Hollywood-great and games sell MANY MANY more copies that way. Money spoils everything. I want an indie gaming revival.

Also, the upsurge in violent, empty-feeling games probably has a lot to do with the fact that, YES, there is a serious military interest in people becoming skilled with that kind of interface.

Times change. *sigh*

I just finished a playthrough of Chrono Trigger not that long ago, and it was righteous. You know, in those moments between working like a dog, using my brain, writing novels, playing piano, seeing my friends, and eating... healthy foods grown congruently with Mother Earth.

Edit: Also, when I was a kid, I totally faked sick to play video games. I'm sure it had to do with craving the mental stimulation public school often lacked.
But I also spent lots of time at the pool, riding my bike, hanging out with friends and I was still an A student.

Gaming is bad if you can't get away from Everquest for three minutes so you start peeing in the corner of your computer room. That's when gaming is a problem.

I also don't like to see kids glued to a hand-held gaming device at a dinner table, and totally incapable of communication. That's not good.

I think the way people are addicted to cell phones/smart phones/ipads/whatever can get much worse than a gaming addiction, too. Those suckers are portable and trendy.
edit on 25-12-2012 by manicminxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I play video games adamantly but i'll say that they work against the human condition on a larger scale then we can truly understand right now. All of the lost human resource gone into pressing buttons, all the electricity for the consoles, the addictions, money on games, and lost time spent that could have been put to better use.

They are perfect for entertainment in downtime and could be harnessed further for educational purposes, but anything beyond and it borders on insanity.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
There is no need to justify video games. People have the freedom to play or not. Just participating in the debate implies that I'd they are not good then they should be regulated or something.

It's not up to our neighbors or politicians to decide what's good for us.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26
I still say they are terrible for productivity.
Kids don't play sports anymore hardly.
Majority of them can't wait to get out of school to play the new Modern Warfare or whatever.

Seems to desensitize them as well...

So you put EVERY kid in the same line..
And thats a fail..
My son is 12 and plays ALOT of video games.
He has an average degree in all subjects, exept
ENGLISH. Above Average, sometimes his teacher
says he hasnt done his homework, but still pass
the tests. His library of words is even better than
the teachers. And its true, he rarly does his english
homework. And he is swedish.

Let them do what the want.
He often says "mehh, its boring, ill go outside and play instead"..

so you fail

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join