It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China arrests over 500 members of pseudo-Christian Mayan Apocalypse sect

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
rt.com...

If the end of the world does indeed happen on December 21, some of the people predicting it will meet it in a prison cell: Chinese authorities have arrested more than 500 members of a doomsday cult in a nationwide crackdown. The underground group ‘Almighty God’ – which unofficial sources claim may have several hundred thousand members – held unsanctioned meetings for its followers, distributed warning leaflets and spread doomsday predictions through social media and text messages. "Dec. 21 is approaching, and on that day half of the world's good people will die, and all evil people will die out — only if you join the Almighty God movement can you avoid death and be saved," reads a handout found in Shaoxing, in eastern China. Violent clashes between police and dozens of Almighty God members in several provinces has been reported. A man who stabbed 23 children in Henan province last Friday claimed he was motivated by rumors that the end of the world was coming, though it is not clear if he was exposed to the teachings of Almighty God, authorities said.

Is china using this to crack down on religious sects, or is this just plain smart on their part to prevent some kook from blowing off an end of the world mass suicide.

Your thoughts?

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
If God exists, I want to thank him for this.

They most likely were planning suicide, or something much more crazy.
I can't believe people still think this 2012 end of the world stuff is real, despite all scientific evidence disproving it.

I forgot some people don't care about logic.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
A little from column A and a little from column B.

Although surely if they were promoting themselves as a way of surviving an apocalypse then suicide would be off the table no? Apocalyptic cults have existed throughout history and it's very hard to anticipate or legislate for stupidity.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

And the icing on the cake.............

Forget 21/12/12 and the Mayans - They believe a Female Jesus is already amongst us

The group was founded in 1989 in Heilongjiang Province by Zhao Weishan. They believe that God has returned to earth as a woman, "born to an ordinary family in the Northern part of China" to guide mankind for the third and last time. According to the group, the first and second times of active guidance of mankind were as Jehovah of the Old Testament and as Jesus in the New Testament. The group teaches that a woman self-styled "Lightning Deng", from Zhengzhou, Henan is the second Christ.
Her most widely distributed book, Lightning from the Orient is the Word of God. The book claimed the first coming of Christ was to redeem humanity, while the second is to conquer men's hearts and defeat Satan. Those who do not accept her words would die a terrible death or receive severe punishment.
Source

Awesomeness has arrived at last - me love this story long time!

"For as the lightning cometh out of the East, and shineth even unto the West; so shall also the coming of the Son Daughter of man be.

I could dig the long hair and white robe - I just hope she does not have a beard!

300,000 members (2001) with a core philosophy which

calls on its members to overthrow China's ruling Communist Party, which it refers to as "the big red dragon", and tells believers that a new era, presided over by a "female Jesus", has arrived

Consequently

the group is number 2 on the cult hit-list of the Chinese Communist Party

Can't have any pesky brainwashed free thinkers going against the little red book now - especially a few hundred thousand of them - that's "unacceptable" and will be addressed accordingly (when the media isn't looking).

Cut and pasted from here and here

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sublimecraft

And the icing on the cake.............

Forget 21/12/12 and the Mayans - They believe a Female Jesus is already amongst us

The group was founded in 1989 in Heilongjiang Province by Zhao Weishan. They believe that God has returned to earth as a woman, "born to an ordinary family in the Northern part of China" to guide mankind for the third and last time. According to the group, the first and second times of active guidance of mankind were as Jehovah of the Old Testament and as Jesus in the New Testament. The group teaches that a woman self-styled "Lightning Deng", from Zhengzhou, Henan is the second Christ.
Her most widely distributed book, Lightning from the Orient is the Word of God. The book claimed the first coming of Christ was to redeem humanity, while the second is to conquer men's hearts and defeat Satan. Those who do not accept her words would die a terrible death or receive severe punishment.
Source

Awesomeness has arrived at last - me love this story long time!

"For as the lightning cometh out of the East, and shineth even unto the West; so shall also the coming of the Son Daughter of man be.

I could dig the long hair and white robe - I just hope she does not have a beard!

300,000 members (2001) with a core philosophy which

calls on its members to overthrow China's ruling Communist Party, which it refers to as "the big red dragon", and tells believers that a new era, presided over by a "female Jesus", has arrived

Consequently

the group is number 2 on the cult hit-list of the Chinese Communist Party

Can't have any pesky brainwashed free thinkers going against the little red book now - especially a few hundred thousand of them - that's "unacceptable" and will be addressed accordingly (when the media isn't looking).

Cut and pasted from here and here

wait is this female jesus hot?
Or does she have a beard too??

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Is china using this to crack down on religious sects, or is this just plain smart on their part to prevent some kook from blowing off an end of the world mass suicide.

Your thoughts?

In China the world only ends if the gov says so.

Given the history of Heaven's Gate et al, it makes sense for authorities to kick these things in the butt before the spiral into something more serious. I see no problem with it. Worst case scenario, the world ends, they were right, totally vindicated, everyone dies anyway so it doesn't matter.

PS I think I may have seen this posted already but to lazy to search...

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

While on the extreme by "American Standards" this is a good move coming from the Chinese government, we all know that history tells that some members of these groups of believers are more "cult" than religious organizations of people with one common goal.

And like in history this type of sects or cults tend to turn into mass suicide when their predictions do not come to fruition (realization).

Sad but truth.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
combination of preventing a mass suicide and maintaining order ...

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I still don't get what law they are being arrested for breaking, this seems downright stupid.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

Actually I see it as more of "prevention" that stupidity, here in the US we wait until the "trouble believers" ends on mass suicide (it happen many times before) to do something about it (usually nothing).

Hopefully the day will come, nothing will happen and the people will be releases on heavy medication.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Your thoughts?

In China the world only ends if the gov says so.

Given the history of Heaven's Gate et al, it makes sense for authorities to kick these things in the butt before the spiral into something more serious. I see no problem with it. Worst case scenario, the world ends, they were right, totally vindicated, everyone dies anyway so it doesn't matter.

PS I think I may have seen this posted already but to lazy to search...

Not according to the cult they don't...all the evil ones and 'only' half the good people will die...so they say.

Quite why their god want to murder half of all good people isn't clear, but hey ho.

Besides, i thought the aging Chinese duffers running the show out there wanted access to lot's of lovely internal organs for transplanting their own...would have thought hundreds of thousands of fresh corpses would have had them rubbing their hands together with glee.

Anyone else remember just a few short years ago, the scandal where ambulances were prowling the peasant estates. pulling over when they spotted a likely 'organ donor' and promply carried out the removal there and then?

It was a huge scandal, that like many others seemed to fade away....

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas

I still don't get what law they are being arrested for breaking, this seems downright stupid.
due to meddling in the politics of asia in the past by jesuut priests and christians .. christianity is not trusted .. thus its tolerated but all christian groups are closely monitored to make sure they dont attempt to meddle and take over ...

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas

due to meddling in the politics of asia in the past by jesuut priests and christians .. christianity is not trusted .. thus its tolerated but all christian groups are closely monitored to make sure they dont attempt to meddle and take over ...

all religion is against the law in a communist country... it incites people against each other and therefore unlawful to hold or form " secret" meetings to worship anything.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandettas

I can't believe people still think this 2012 end of the world stuff is real, despite all scientific evidence disproving it.

Whilst I do not believe the stories and predictions, scientific evidence? Really.

Perhaps you could provide a link or two to scientific evidence that the world will not end on the 21st.

It probably won't, but you don't actually know, nor does anyone. Logic dictates.....but...

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
How about...the world will not end by the means and scenarios that everyone has been touting will occur on that day at that time.

new topics

top topics

join