It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Computer That is Too Fast

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
You're an insider, and you know a whole lot more than you're presently allowed to tell us, am I right, Tim?

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Wouldnt need to go downstairs all the time to make food, Stick a microwavable dinner next to ya PC and bobs your uncle!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Um, dude? Try to lay off the coffee, because nothing you just said made any sense whatsoever.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat
What's the current record holder for speed? I think it's the Pentium 4: 4.0 GHz, but I could be wrong.

Can't find the fastest personal computer, but IBM has the fastest "supercomputer" --of course it has 16000 processors....

news.com.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Computers today are now running up to 4.0 GHz (Pentium 4), but what happens when we crank 10, 15, or even 20 GHz out of them? The answer to this comes from a simple chart:

ois.unomaha.edu...

That shows the cycles/second (hertz or Hz) for each main catagory of the spectrum.

If we were to go to, say, 36.5 GHz with our processors, the processor would be, theoretically, producing microwave radiation (according to this chart).

But, pushing the limits, if we produced a 1.0 QAHz (quadrillion hertz; 1 plus 15 zeros) processor, it would be producing visible light as it worked.

Yes, I'm thinking that we will never produce anything of that speed, but 10 GHz is possible within the next 4 or 5 years.

What's the current record holder for speed? I think it's the Pentium 4: 4.0 GHz, but I could be wrong.

OMG!

I read all the posts here, and I wonder.

What do you people learn in school?

Wave frequency and CPU frequency is not related in any way!

Jesus!

First of all many of you have NO idea what are you talking about here, (will not even start to point out issues that are so wrong), and second please please please spend like even 5 minutes on google reading stuff.

In short.

Check it here:

www.phatnav.com...

Will copy - paste the moste importan part:

"In computing, most CPUs made between 1974 and 2000 were labelled in terms of megahertz (though modern computers have processor speeds in the Gigahertz (109 hertz) range). The number of megahertz refers to the cycle frequency of the CPU's master clock. "

Do you have any questions now?

Related to the CPU's.

The HIGHER frequency do not means always faster CPU, OK???

In Theory (and in practice also, like alpha cpu's), you can have like 200 MHZ cpu's but faster then 2 GHZ cpu, ok?

Today real life example.

If you have centrino laptop, with 1.4 GHZ cpu inside, speed of that cpu in GHZ is slower then for example 2.2 GHZ P4, but in real life 1.4 GHZ CENTRINO (centrino is actuall name of platform not just cpu), will do more work.

So to sum thing.

1. frequency of cpu is NOT related to the wave frequency, ok?
2. BIGER frequency do not means faster CPU, ok?

Any questions?

I.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I don't think that you did read all of them, but just skimmed them.

And next time you're going to point out a mistake, try not to sound so mean and arrogant.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
This is not at all surprising.

www.hp.com...

The above site directs you to an HP Superdome, complete with 128 processors, 1TB memory, etc.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I don't think we'll see processors that fast any time soon. Simply because it's all moving to multiple processor cores on a single die. This way, you can basically have a cluster of slowwer processor cores on a single chip that will provide high performance.

I'm willing to bet that processors will not even advertise clock rates within the next 5-10 years.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   

You're an insider, and you know a whole lot more than you're presently allowed to tell us, am I right, Tim?

I am an insider, I work for a very large Broadband provider...

And I am willing to talk about the industry openly, no holds barred

Actually I was involved in the development of the internet industry in the uk back in 94. So I have been in the industry 11 years.

Enough to know where the wind blows....

In addition to the power we use in terms of processing we all have to cope with the fact that the PC as we all know it is a dying breed.

In the future everything will be integrated and communicate wirelessly with everything else.

You won't need to know tech because everything will be built with a User interface that needs only common sense to operate.

you want inside knowledge???

How about this......

Small Credit Card Sized Devices that are fully functional computers. The input is touch sensitive and deform based.

That is you can bend the card to create function.

For example the card will show a map GPS'd so you can see where you are, you then bend the card a little to zoom in or bend the opposite to zoom out. There will be many applications built in to this device but most of all it will be WIFI and so can communicate with everything else.

This system is FACT!!!

Estimated Time of Market Arrival - 2007 / 8.

-----

Also, for anyone else interested in WIFI, the USA currently has put Stamp sized chips in most consumer goods. This is a way of them controlling the populace by being able to track every person in the states.....

This technology is going to be linked to a satellite that will be able to zoom in on any object.

Firstly Total Security, however that does mean BIG Brother is REALLY WATCHING!!!!

Role out in Europe of this technology is currently going through test phase with the London Underground OYSTER card technology.

Anyway,

Back to work people,

Catch ya.

Tim.

[edit on 2-11-2004 by tim_uk74]

[edit on 2-11-2004 by tim_uk74]

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
hey guys

i don't think there will be a 10GHz computer. It'll be consuming too much energy.
for example, today I've read, that intel has announced a new Pentium 4 Extreme cpu.
this bitch emmits 111 Watts of heat and you need no more oil to heat your room.

I think in the future, first there will be some multicore cpus. for example amd is
researching a quad core 64bit cpu (it's the same as 4 cpus in one dye).

Now think of having a quad cpu board filled with 4 quad core cpus running at 3 GHz each (you'll have 16 single cpu's at the same time).

That'll be RAAAAAWWWW computing power

gr33tz, l33chy

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by IMMORTAL
I think that there are people that can and do overclock their computer chips to speeds up to 6 and 7 gigahertz, as I have read on the 'net.

I think that the computer cpu's will be replaced using dna, I think, if I remember correctly. DNA PC's

The more I sit and have the argument with my self, which came first the man or the computer? Or is man the computer? If we are going in the direction of putting DNA in the computer, could we be on or way of making ourselves?

d1k

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
You can overclock to a point, but no where hear 6 gigahertz.

Wrong.
forevergeek.com...

Originally posted by Murcielago
But seroiusly, 6 ghz! , I have have a feeling that that persons computer is extremely unstable, They were probably suprised it even booted, and so they started that program and got a picture of it for proof.

I have never heard (or seen) a personal computer overclocked that extreme. It looks like the mobo isn't even in a case, which you would probably have to do given the size of that liquid nitrogen hose. Who's ever pc that is, that guy is a hardcore gamer, or just loves computers and wanted some bragging rights. But i'd say he earned those right since that would be very expensive and a bitch to maintain.

I've seen comptuers running in fridges, I've seen comptuers running in freezers, all stable.

And one more interesting fact, the military is 20-50 years ahead of the public technology wise. They have systems and hardware that we cannot even imagine, and this is man made stuff. If all the UFO technology talk is real who knows what they have from downed spacecraft.

[edit on 2-11-2004 by d1k]

A5H

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Sorry to burst your bubble and all but the Ivan fella was right. None of this stuff is related in anyway what-so-ever.
And do some of you seriously think 4Ghz is the fastest processer speed in the world?
Look at the computers inside missile defences etc. If it had a 4Ghz proceser computing the data and finding targets then the target would be long gone before it could even launch.
The big jump in speed is going to come from using genetic parts on the circuit board. I've attended a lecture and spoken to a guy who works for a company developing this technology.
I will now write fact in capital letters to make me feel secure and make everyone think I am correct. That's how it works right?
FACT.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join