It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Computer That is Too Fast

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:53 AM
link   
A computer that fast will be obselete in a couple of decades. All PC hardware will get obselete. Unless they invent a processor that doesn't have a max clock speed and doesn't have any limitations.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by IMMORTAL
I think that there are people that can and do overclock their computer chips to speeds up to 6 and 7 gigahertz, as I have read on the 'net.

I think that the computer cpu's will be replaced using dna, I think, if I remember correctly. DNA PC's

They have currently a ratbrainlike thing that is able to fly with an F2.
They hope to build one day a pc out of living cells.
Link is in German however, sorry bout that.
www.spiegel.de...

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Calibre
They have currently a ratbrainlike thing that is able to fly with an F2.
They hope to build one day a pc out of living cells.
Link is in German however, sorry bout that.
www.spiegel.de...

is this what you're talking about?

www.spacedaily.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Yep that it is it.
I�m not sure if I like the idea though.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mouldy_punk
A computer that fast will be obselete in a couple of decades. All PC hardware will get obselete. Unless they invent a processor that doesn't have a max clock speed and doesn't have any limitations.

Duh! what's your point?

We all know that it will all become obselete, but that's why you keep buying the new stuff.

OR you can just not own a computer and go into the dark ages.

[edit on 26-10-2004 by Murcielago]

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Calibre
Yep that it is it.
I�m not sure if I like the idea though.

yeah...I don't exactly want a rodent flying my airplane, lol

however, they could get closer to making faster supercomputers and stuff

[edit on 26-10-2004 by UnknownOrigins]

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
The key isnt so much as the clock speed of one cpu but the overall speed/processing power of the compurter as a whole.

for example: how fast can it move data to and from the hard disk. how fast can it move data to the video board. how fast can the video board prcoess the data. how fast is the memory. and last but not least: how many cpus can u run in parallel.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
what the best (free) program out there that you can get all that info?

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 01:39 AM
link   
BTW, Nasa just revieled there newest SuperComputer called "Columbia".

42.7 teraflops! Now thats some serious power. But hey, i'm sure you can make one your self, hell ya only need over ten thousand CPU's.

Nasa's Most Powerful Super Computer

[edit on 27-10-2004 by Murcielago]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by markjaxson
What the hell would you need a 10ghz pc for?

The only thing i can think of is 3D rendering/animation etc, but when we do get up to the 10ghz+ mark imagine what the games graphics would be like! Ohhh!

We will find new uses when we have more power. Virtual worlds where you plug in go shopping, go to the bar etc. Instead of sitting here typing at ATS as we do now in a virtual world where we could chose the style of decor of & everyone chooses their body's & faces & we talk instead of type & those moments will be saved for when others come in. The more power the more realistic it will become & the more options you will have.

[edit on 27-10-2004 by outsider]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
BTW, Nasa just revieled there newest SuperComputer called "Columbia".

42.7 teraflops! Now thats some serious power. But hey, i'm sure you can make one your self, hell ya only ned over ten thousand CPU's.

Nasa's Most Powerful Super Computer

Imagine playing Doom 3 on that baby.

[edit on 10/27/2004 by Simulacra]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Is it me or do you think teraflops sounds bad?

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
if it had a crappy graphics card it would still run slow.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Why are people saying that if you reach a certain frequency it will prduce gamma radiation? Frequency is used to descibe exactly that...frequency.

You cannot say that, for example, something with a frequency of X Ghz will produce radiation. I will explain:

You can have a CPu at 1 Ghz, that just measures how many clock cycles it does a second. Not any measure of EM radiation, as EM is photonic, not electronic, so the two must be seperated.

You can have a peice of paper oscillating at 1Ghz, doesn't mean it will produce radiation, just means it is moving real fast.

Frequency can be used to describe a great many things, and to compare CPU clock speeds, to the frequency of EM radiation is a massive misrepresentation of facts and is false. It is like comparing sound waves to EM waves... if sound was oscillating at 10Ghz, doesn't mean that the sound is going to magically turn into radiation does it?

CPU's at those speeds will not suddenly become light bulbs, they will get hot, but that is caused by the resistance of the material to the electrical current rather than the frequency.

CPU's however do emit low level beta radiation, as the electrical current can ionise particles, but again, that is nothing to do with the frequency, rather the electrons themselves interacting with the material they pass through.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I'm not sure of the full reason the chip makers or straying away from the speed chase. What is happening is that more and more advances are being made into paralleling instructions and multicore processors. Clustered processors should not be for off, we already have duals that are common. What we (developers) are looking at is being able to section off programming into several processor cores. In a gaming example
Main core runs the logic of the gaming position, retriving levels,house keeping.
Aux Core One handling AI, player, enemy and animated scences.
Aux Core Two pumping the graphics data drawing the VR world you are playing.
Aux Core ...
Graphics core, we already have, translates graphic geometry into pixels.

Take a look at the new Sony Playstation, it does a lot of flops.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Take a look at the new Sony Playstation, it does a lot of flops.

I like the way you worded that sentence

[edit on 10/28/04 by diehard_democrat]

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I would like to point out one of my errors, if you want to call it that:

In my earlier posts that talked about how processors shouldn't be measured in clock speed, but how many data bits / second it can process. Another name for that is flops, and I guess I should use proper termanology (I'll go back and edit the posts). So when you hear the term "gigaflop", "teraflop", or maybe in ten years even "quadflop" or "quintflop", it means, respectively, one billion data bits / second, one trillion "", one quadrillion "", and one quintillion "".

FYI: Quadrillion = billion plus six zeros, and quintillion = billion plus nine zeros.

[edit on 10/30/04 by diehard_democrat]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Why are people saying that if you reach a certain frequency it will produce gamma radiation? Frequency is used to descibe exactly that...frequency.

Radiation will occur at a junction of dissimilar materials such as the PN junction of and led. Also in the case of tungston lighting where the electrons heat the wire to the emission point. The materials used and manufacturing process will determine the frequency that the light is emitted thus color or light, radio frequency, microwave etc. But also consider that if the emmsion occured at anyone of the millions of juntions in the chip, they would just be absorbed by the plastic package of the silicon substrate since the energy level is so low at any of these junctions. Thers still remains the widely discussed quantum effect expected in the ever faster chips due to the smaller internal dies being used but the emission would still be contained, but the side effect is that nearby gates may turn on and off unpredictably hence starange new aliens or visual effects in your games.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Originally posted by Murcielago

IMMORTAL
I think that there are people that can and do overclock their computer chips to speeds up to 6 and 7 gigahertz, as I have read on the 'net.

You can overclock to a point, but no where hear 6 gigahertz.

I have a 3.0 ghz and its overclocked at 3.4, I could probably put it to 3.6 or so, but then I would need to turn my fans up, since it would produce more heat. The more you clock it up, the more unstable your system gets.

Murc you are wrong and here is the proof!

The cooling is LN2 ie Liquid Nitrogen.

[edit on 25-10-2004 by sardion2000]

HAHAHA That's Funny!!!

I wonder if they actually broke off a couple of fingers while handling the LN2!! hehehehe

Well it is fast from a single processor but nothing like the 4+ Teraflops the Earth Simulator un Japan Get's...

Imagine playing grand theft Auto EARTH!!

Lol

Catch ya later.

Neon.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by markjaxson
What the hell would you need a 10ghz pc for?

The only thing i can think of is 3D rendering/animation etc, but when we do get up to the 10ghz+ mark imagine what the games graphics would be like! Ohhh!

[edit on 25-10-2004 by markjaxson]

Well people....

If you want to know the future of the processor then read on.

As we all know Mores law dictates that we can minatureise only so small before it becomes imposable with current technology to cope.

In other words you can't produce diods smaller than an atom....

However.......

In the future, we will not be so concerned about what the chip is inside our computers. The truth is we will purchase processor speed and power raw over a pipe, just like you purchase electricy!!

This is FACT!!!

Bandwidth for transcieving data is getting very large and fast and before long it will be as fast to transcieve than it is to read/write to your Cach Memory...

That means no more awful upgrading, no more incompatable software and most of all no more disks to transfere data...

What I am talking about is FACT!! it is already in place at The govenment and military level.

in 10 years this will be implemented to everyday consumers... So if you really want to make money and you have money to invest then I would look into this and buy your share of the future.

Hope this wet's all your apitite for the excelent future we can look forward to.

All the best,

Tim,

<< 1  2    4 >>

join