It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
1. A wise traveler not only carries a passport, but also a photocopy of the passport and well as a scanned version on a laptop, CD, or flash drive.
2. Your healthcare insurance or Medicare card.
3. Your driver’s license, proof of insurance and the 24 hour claims number for your insurance company.
4. Two credits cards (in case one gets lost or is stolen) along with the customer service numbers for the credit card companies written down and stored someplace other than your wallet.
5. A list of emergency contacts, include telephone numbers and email addresses.
6. A prepaid long distance card for making calls when there is no cell phone service or when the calls will be too expensive due to roaming charges.
7. A few blank checks plus some funds in the local currency (if you are traveling out of the country).
8. Prescription medications sorted into daily packets with at least 3 days over and above the number of days you plan to be gone.
9. An emergency first aid kit including bandages, pain medication, instant hot packs, antibiotics, antibiotic ointment, an anti-diarrheal and anything else that you commonly use.
10. Insect repellent and sunscreen.
11. Protein or snack bars.
12. Travel tissues and a travel sized roll of TP (you would be surprised at how often this “essential” will come in handy.)
13. Hand sanitizer plus sanitizer wipes.
14. A mini, LED flashlight and possibly an LED headlamp as well.
15. Pocket knife or Swiss Army style knife. (who knows if this makes it)
16. Chemical light sticks.
17. An emergency whistle.
18. Paracord – in bracelet, keychain or lanyard form for portability.
19. Water purification tabs for ensuring safe, drinkable water if supplies at your destination are compromised.
20. A small roll of duct tape and some tie wraps (also called cable wraps).
21. Mylar emergency blankets.
22. A pocket poncho for every member of your group.
23. Two-way radios that include a NOAA weather scan and emergency alert.
24. Batteries (or rechargeables plus a battery charger).
25. Your cell phone charger or a USB cable to use as a charging cable.
26. Key passwords to access email accounts and online financial data.
27. Pre-printed labels with you home address, home number, and email address. Include one or more of these labels in each checked bag.