It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What to do for bronchitis and flu?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Bah Humbug, ATS.

As happens about this time every year, I have the flu. And bronchitis. And I feel like crap.

Been to the doc, got the $$$$ Tamiflu and antibiotics. So far, no change. Still running a fever so I'm quarantined in my house. Which also sucks.

Does anyone have any home remedies or suggestions? At this point, I'm willing to try just about anything.

Thanks in advance. Now I'm going to go blow my nose. AGAIN.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Bah Humbug, ATS.

As happens about this time every year, I have the flu. And bronchitis. And I feel like crap.

Been to the doc, got the $$$$ Tamiflu and antibiotics. So far, no change. Still running a fever so I'm quarantined in my house. Which also sucks.

Does anyone have any home remedies or suggestions? At this point, I'm willing to try just about anything.

Thanks in advance. Now I'm going to go blow my nose. AGAIN.

You ought to include more peppers in your diet. Jalepenos and Habaneros. They get your antibodies looking like they are on steroids.
Daily vitamin intake is essential.

But also, a friend of my does nasal cleansings daily. He swears by it.
You can get a kit for it at your local pharmacy.
He doubles it up any days he feels like he is getting sick, and he claims that by the next day, he is back in good health.

Worth a shot no?

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
PS

This may be off topic a bit.. But an old Mexican Remedy from my father...
-Any time you have a cut/wound that will not stop bleeding.....
--Ball up a spider web and place it right on the cut. You will stop bleeding immediatly.

I have done it. It works. And yes, I will swear by it.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

Yes, thanks for the advice.

I do the saline wash, too. In the past I just filled up a bowl of warm water, added salt, then dunked my head in and snorted it up my nostrils. NOT FUN. I like the idea of a kit much better.

As for the peppers.....even mild salsa makes me sweat.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

They used to use spider webs as adhesive bandages in the olden days,, so very plausible. And if I'm near death, I'll use that trick. But I really, really dislike spiders...

I'm such a wimp.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

reply to post by resoe26

Yes, thanks for the advice.

I do the saline wash, too. In the past I just filled up a bowl of warm water, added salt, then dunked my head in and snorted it up my nostrils. NOT FUN. I like the idea of a kit much better.

As for the peppers.....even mild salsa makes me sweat.

Try that kit then. He swears by it no doubt. He has tried to convince me to purchase the kit many times when I was ill. But normally I don't ever feel sick enough to drop money on that.

With the peppers, you'll get use to it eventually. Just gradually incorporate it into your diet. Slowly but surely you'll be drinking El Yucateco in no time.

And then you'll see that you rarely ever get sick anymore.
Plus hot sauce on anything is amazing. Especially when your Significant Other makes a terrible dish..... (the hot sauce masks the taste)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

reply to post by resoe26

They used to use spider webs as adhesive bandages in the olden days,, so very plausible. And if I'm near death, I'll use that trick. But I really, really dislike spiders...

I'm such a wimp.

Didn't know that. Thanks! Learned something new today.
Ah one of those people.
It's funny to see a human be afraid of a bug so small, when that bug is also terrified of you....
Both the spider and the person are freaked out by one another... both utilizing thier "flight" mode.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Shut yourself in a room with a vaporizer. If you don't have a vaporizer, put some Vics or Mentholatum in a pot of boiling water, lean over the pot and breathe in (works better if you hang a towel over your head and the pot). Or you could shut yourself in the bathroom with the shower turned all the way up with hot water only (steam), or slather Vics or Mentholatum on the bottoms of your feet and put on your thickest pair of socks (might want to slather up your chest and back as well). Any of these will help break up congestion in your lungs and bronchial tubes. Good luck smyleegrl! Hope you feel better!

P.S. Any of those methods are safe to use on children as well- in case your boy is sick too.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Thanks so much! Off to slather on the Vicks and a pair of wooly socks (that's a new one for me).

Our schools are really struggling with this flu. Yesterday my school had over 100 kids out...and our total population is in the mid three hundreds.

Hopefully they can disinfect during Christmas break.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I'd recommend steering clear of anti-biotics for a start.

Some people practically live off anti-biotics, then they wonder why their immune system DOESN'T work, ahh lulz.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Well, you will stink to high heaven, but try a chopped up onion, wrapped in a cloth diaper or towel, wrapped to your chest with a scarf.

You can even put a slice or two in your socks while you sleep.

Hope you feel better soon!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

You're quite welcome! It's what my Granny did when we were sick, and it's what I do when my grandbaby is sick. It helps a lot! I don't like to use medicines (even over the counter ones) unless absolutely necessary- especially on children. Hope the epidemic passes soon!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Garlic cloves have a healing property and a few cloves a day equals a small dose of penicillian. But, raw cloves are bitter and acidic....and I would blanch them for 2. Minutes first. You can drink the water you blanched them in too...also, my grandmother used to make a mix that worked every time. I don't have the exact measurements, but it was cinnamon,honey,garlic, lemon,brandy, and ginger. ..all put together and you drink 1/4 cup twice a day the first day, and then once a day for the next 2 days. You're better by day 3.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Also for stuffy nose, put some gran mariner liqueur In a coffee cup, add a slice if lemon and heat up in Microwave until its hot ans alittle steamy. Then smell the steam and it will instantly open your olfactory system! Then when it cools you can drink the gran mariner.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Warm Salt Water (boil to sterilize and let cool and/or cool with ice) and a Neti pot, once you get use to it helps to relieve headaches, nasal congestion, and even fever a bit.

Nasal Irrigation -wiki

It sounds kind of gross, but, when your entire existence turns into a miserable heap of gross, nose gargling with a Neti pot becomes a relief.

There's some videos on youtube for demonstration, techniques, tips and tricks with Neti pots if you want to search.

edit on 19-12-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

If I ever get a chest infection,I hit the ginger-big time.
Get a load of raw ginger,peel it,chuck it in a blender/juicer,mix a bit of water in then drink it.
Repeat as often as you feel the need.

Oh,I also avoid dairy and fruit juice if I have a bad chest,as these things can make the problem worse.

Another good one is a "salt pipe."
You can get them for asthma sufferers,and all it is is a tube with sea/rock salt inside,which you inhale through-the salt particles help to dry up your lungs,and help you breathe easier.
(Its kept my poor asthma suffering neice out of hospital for years.)

thesaltpipe.co.uk...

Get better soon!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Sorry to hear you're sick with the flu ! I always try and take long hot baths with Epsom salts and either eucalyptus oil or menthol oil added and soak for a few hours with my headphones and relaxing music , then I bundle up under the wool covers !! Hope You get better soon !!!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

For a start Tamiflu and anti-biotics are completley useless in fighting flu, flu is a virus for a start and they generally just run their course. Tamiflu has been clinically proven here in the UK to be ineffective against flu.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

The shower method with the Vicks everywhere is what we use at our house too.
Warm honey and lemon soothes things a bit. Mint, chamomile, red clover and a pinch of rosemary steeped into a tea may help too. That combo is gentle enough to use on the little one's as well, and you can just put your honey and lemon into the tea.

Hope you feel better!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
For the flu, I swear by Oscillococcinum, a homeopathic remedy that even our local grocery store sells. Best taken when symptoms first appear, but it still works if you have the flu. If what you have is NOT the flu, then it won't have any effect and won't hurt you either.

For bronchitis and fever, the pot of steaming water with oregano oil in it with a towel over your head thing works well to loosen the congestion and helps get it out. I've also had excellent results with raw garlic. I was young when I tried this one, and I didn't know the difference between a bulb of garlic and "a clove." So I chopped up 8 or 9 cloves before wondering how all that was going to fit on a piece of toast slathered with butter. It did, and I got through about 2/3 of the toast before breaking out in a massive sweat from heat to toe. Lasted an hour or so, I fell asleep, and felt much better when I woke up. Sure did stink for 3 days, though. Silly me.

A chiropractic adjustment has also helped break up the congestion in my chest.

There are some good tips here in this thread. Been meaning to do the Epsom salt bath. Neti pots require meticulous cleanliness to prevent re-infection. Tamiflu reminds me of Dick Cheney, so I won't use it.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join