It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun like Tau Ceti 12 light years from earth seems to have earth like planet

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by 0pass

This is going to happen because private participation in space exploration not because of NASA or the chinese.

No it won't.
Our fastest probe left in 2006. It will reach Pluto in 2015.
At that time it will be 85 one million'ths the way to Tau after 9 years.

Not gonna happen. Keep dreaming.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
reply to post by 0pass

This is going to happen because private participation in space exploration not because of NASA or the chinese.

No it won't.
Our fastest probe left in 2006. It will reach Pluto in 2015.
At that time it will be 85 one million'ths the way to Tau after 9 years.

Not gonna happen. Keep dreaming.

You need to update yourself on space science.

There are advances in technology which will take us to the nearest star in one life time.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Only small thrusters. Nothing big enough to do anything for a Tau mission.

Dawn was just buzzing around our solar system. It didn't carry enough fuel to much for a Tau mission.

Remember you would need enough fuel to run the ion engines continuously for decades. Not to mention the enormous power needed. It too would need to run for decades non stop.

Not in my lifetime. Not in my childrens lifetime.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

reply to post by 0pass

This is great news for the next generation who may venture beyond the solar system.

Sorry but the next generation won't be venturing any farther than we have.

The tech needed only exists on TV.

Don't forget Voyager 1 is still out there. Who knows how far it will make it.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Only small thrusters. Nothing big enough to do anything for a Tau mission.

Dawn was just buzzing around our solar system. It didn't carry enough fuel to much for a Tau mission.

Remember you would need enough fuel to run the ion engines continuously for decades. Not to mention the enormous power needed. It too would need to run for decades non stop.

Not in my lifetime. Not in my childrens lifetime.

Then you need to read this article.

NASA Starts Work on Real Life Star Trek Warp Drive

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
You must have missed the line where it says...

Dr. White's team is trying to find proof of those loopholes. They have "initiated an interferometer test bed that will try to generate and detect a microscopic instance of a little warp bubble" using an instrument called the White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer.

They don't have any proof warp bubbles can exist. This is still the dreaming stage.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

You must have missed the line where it says...

Dr. White's team is trying to find proof of those loopholes. They have "initiated an interferometer test bed that will try to generate and detect a microscopic instance of a little warp bubble" using an instrument called the White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer.

They don't have any proof warp bubbles can exist. This is still the dreaming stage.

Yeah. So that was the point i made in my first post. I was not even dreaming about smartphones when I was 5 years old. Now I have hundreds of models to choose from.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by flice

James Casbolt was exposed 5-6 years ago as a hoaxer

Oh yeah , It was you who exposed James Casbolt [ But in Dream ]

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by 0pass

Talking Star Trek, isn't Ceti alpha 5 where Khan gets marooned!!

KKKHAANNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

Sorry couldn't help myself.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Flight to the stars only a dream? At the moment, maybe. Recall, though, what can happen within a single lifetime. In 1903 the Wright brothers first flew their rickety contraption in sustained powered flight at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Just 24 years later, a man (Lindbergh) flew his plane, alone, across the Atlantic ocean. 30 years on, and the first satellite circled the entire Earth every 90 minutes. And only 12 years after than, men walked on the Moon. All of this was accomplished in 66 years, within a single lifetime.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by 0pass

Thanks for the link. I love adding these extrasolar planets to my favorites.

Thing is, we'll exponentially find them so I'll run out of patience for favoriting them. A dozen here, a dozen there, sounds like a lot these days. But hundreds and thousands are coming.

Someone hundreds of years ago didn't know what earth looked like from above. I can call up google earth and look at it, basically. I know more because of this tool than they did back then.

What we know is less important than what we do with it.
edit on 21-12-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
5 earth mass is too big to be "earth-like". This planet will probably be more like neptune with a cloud deck miles thick no sunlight would reach the surface. Still it's nice they can get new results from old data.

edit on 22-12-2012 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
5 earth mass is too big to be "earth-like". This planet will probably be more like neptune with a cloud deck miles thick no sunlight would reach the surface. Still it's nice they can get new results from old data.

edit on 22-12-2012 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

so you are speculating they have a sun the size of ours?

are you just thinking this planet wouldn't be earth like with our sun?

what if there sun is bigger?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
We don't know enough about the dividing line between 'super-Earths' and 'mini-Neptunes' to really know whether a planet of 4.3 or 5 Earth-masses is one or the other. We have no examples in our solar system of a world larger than Earth and smaller than Uranus or Neptune. The masses of the latter two are 14.5, and 17.1 times that of Earth. A value of 4.3 or 5 masses is much nearer that of Earth than that of Uranus and Neptune. One might argue on this basis that Tau Ceti e is likely to be more like Earth.
Tau Ceti has been called a 'twin' of the Sun. It's actually only about 79 % as large as our Sun, and about half as luminous. The fact that a planet with a relatively small orbit of 168 days is within the star's habitable zone gives some idea of its lesser power.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
This is an interesting discovery by astronomers.

I did a little searching and found an article by a UFO researcher Forrest Crawford.

I thought it may be interesting, as it pertains to Tau Ceti and its planets.....and supposedly its people.

Seriously...I don't know anymore, they are, they are'nt...I don't know...pictures or it did'nt happen, etcetc.

BUT, there seem NO doubt, that there are strange happenings in your good ol US and A, particularly with black ops, secret this, black that, CIA hate the NSA, Naval Space ships...etc etc...in all this info, there must be some sense of reality, in some "Stories"....logic would assume so.

So, here is another of those story's of a Tau Ceti Planet person contact... a person with olive skin, flatish nose, short black hair Human.....similar to the Mayans/Toltec/Aztec etc.....

Make of it what you will....

www.angelfire.com...

I hope I've linked it properly, if not could someone help/advise. thx.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
What is interesting and also alarming about this discovery is that it was for long tought that Tau Ceti cannot have any planets and then suddently this announcement.

Now. what about closer stars like Barnards Star and others?

Also I fail to understand why with such sharp equipments, we are not able to zoom into some of the moons of Jupiter or Saturn and find out for once and for all if there is water and life supporting conditions. Though some moons of these planets have been found to have water but there is no conclusive evidence.

If our equipment cannot know what is there within our solar system, how can we know about something so far away. Just because a planet in a habitable zone does not mean it has life giving characteristics.

So, then this announcement is like a bolt from the blue. Are we missing something here...Or is NASA hiding something.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by 0pass

Also I fail to understand why with such sharp equipments, we are not able to zoom into some of the moons of Jupiter or Saturn and find out for once and for all if there is water and life supporting conditions.
If you fail to understand it is because you fail to understand how exoplanets are detected. It is not by visually observing them. It is by analyzing the light from the star. The planets are far too small and distant to be seen with any telescope.

This is explained in the article which you linked in your OP. It also explains the difficulties involved with detecting these planets.

edit on 12/23/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Gort 51; Your link is working properly. I was interested in reading the translation of a supposed radio transmission from Tau Ceti. The link to this, within the site, does not work.
edit on 23-12-2012 by Ross 54 because: added salutation to clarify which post I was responding to.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by 0pass

Also I fail to understand why with such sharp equipments, we are not able to zoom into some of the moons of Jupiter or Saturn and find out for once and for all if there is water and life supporting conditions.
If you fail to understand it is because you fail to understand how exoplanets are detected. It is not by visually observing them. It is by analyzing the light from the star. The planets are far too small and distant to be seen with any telescope.

This is explained in the article which you linked in your OP.

I am not talking about detection of existence of exoplanets but that they are could be like earth. My point is even if it were confirmed that there is a Earth like planet, what are the chances of knowing there is life when we cannot find life in our own neighbourhood. Bet Mars or Jupiter Moons.

And if we do not have the technology why fuss about it? Unless NASA is hiding somethings from us.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by 0pass

I am not talking about detection of existence of exoplanets but that they are could be like earth.
All that can be known is how far from the star the planet is and how massive it is. It is not possible to know if there is an atmosphere or water on these planets.

what are the chances of knowing there is life
None. Not at this time.

And if we do not have the technology why fuss about it?
It's called the acquisition of knowledge. It's called science.

Unless NASA is hiding somethings from us.
NASA did not have anything to do with the detection of these planets.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join