It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just have a bloody good moan :)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
There are a lot of topics at the moment which are dominating the site, and after a while, while the subject matter remains serious, I get fed up of participating.
I didn't know what to do with myself, and I thought making a thread for people to have a group moan about little gripes that don't require their own threads might be a constructive thing to do, sorry if I'm wrong!

For example:
Two weeks ago, we adopted a kitten from a woman a couple of towns over. She said he just needed a new home that was big enough for him, and with a garden so he could go outside as he spent a lot of time at the window looking outside. She said he was really lovely and affectionate (which he is), and really played up his good qualities (of which there are many). She also said he's been microchipped, castrated, wormed, and deflea-ed. So we agreed the adoption would go ahead.

He came with everything. Food bowls, toys, tunnels, bed, litter trays even food.
Lots of food.

He's not even 6 months old. And it's kind of hard to hide two very obvious testicals on a cat. So he hadn't been 'done'. He's too young. She admitted he was too young once he was here. I thought, "No big deal, I'll get him done after Christmas since he won't be going out till then anyway."
Then she got all his food out, food for cats with digestive issues. She says that if he has cat crunchies, they make him a bit farty. "No problem," I thought, "I can deal with cat guffs."

She really lays emphasis on his favourite food being a particular brand, and that he won't eat anything else. He only has a certain type of kitty litter or he won't go. I know cats can be fussy about that kind of thing so I thought it was ok.

I did think it was weird however, that she was giving a 5 month old cat adult food.

So once she left, I continued per her instructions (she was his owner, she would know best, I thought) to feed him as she did. But he was pretty gassy and pretty poopy.
I thought perhaps it was settling in issues. But it didn't go away.

I've changed his diet from adult food back to kitten food. After one day, his poops are already more formed.

I can't understand why she was giving him adult food, it's too rich for young cats.
There is only one place in my town that sells kitten food, and it happens to be a petrol garage rather than an actual supermarket.
It's slightly more expensive than adult cat food, and I can't help but wonder if this was a deciding factor on her part.
Perhaps he doesn't have digestive troubles, she just doesn't know how to properly care for a cat.

She said she found him at about 12 weeks old, and he was really ill. So she's only had him about 2 months before getting rid of him.
I was wondering perhaps that she found all the pooping a bit too much (she even took him to the vet who gave him some live cultures for his tummy - which she didn't finish giving him) and so she decided to palm him off on someone else.

Well he's getting better now, and he's really a lovely, playful little fella.

Anyway, sorry to over-take the thread with my moan

Anyone got anything they want to get off their chest? The doctors are in the house

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

My cat thinks he's a Dog, and that's cool with me.. He's the cutest dog in the world.
Plus he doesn't wine or beg.. He only talks when he is happy...
Oh and my baby girl got a new job VERY close to home so we don't even need a car anymore..

Hmm.. Moaning...

My cat throws up a lot.. Havn't figured out how to stop that one.. And the worlds not ending freaking pussy world...

Here he is when he was about 12 pounds lighter, or one year ago...

edit on 12/19/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Eee! He is cute, cute, cute!!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
He's pretty darn cute.

Nice pic. Training him to keep an eye on ATS updates while you sleep? Good kitty.

Also, for my own rant.. I think both Clean Sheet Night and Taco Night should be declared holidays. Both are very popular in my house.

edit on 19-12-2012 by PrincessTofu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by PrincessTofu

Maybe he's typing this right now....

We have "Mashed Potato" nights in our house. They usually go down a treat, and is one of the only nights that plates are left squeaky clean before they're washed up from dinner!

edit on 19-12-2012 by Lulzaroonie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie

Maybe no one else wants to "moan" or complain?
He was shoved on us, and he had to be bottle fed.. He was found about 1 day old on the road... Some friends and a shelter took care of him, and then he was dumped on us, because the shelter wanted nothing more with him..

Something about him never knowing his mom or any other cat, has made him Very Human.. He thinks I am his Dad, and I am...

On to Moaning..

I'm broke.. No christmas here.. I'm sick of the hating posts on ATS... I don't understand other countries telling Americans what to do (I know that may sound Ironic).. I'm one of those Americans who thinks we should close all our over seas bases and just let people be.

what else..

I'm tired of the ending of the world.

@op's above post.. My kitty knows how to type.. Luckily he doesn't know english yet, but he did figure out that different buttons made different shapes. He liked the numbers much more than letters.. I don't know why..

edit on 12/19/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie

Maybe no one else wants to "moan" or complain?
He was shoved on us, and he had to be bottle fed.. He was found about 1 day old on the road... Some friends and a shelter took care of him, and then he was dumped on us, because the shelter wanted nothing more with him..

Something about him never knowing his mom or any other cat, has made him Very Human.. He thinks I am his Dad, and I am...

On to Moaning..

I'm broke.. No christmas here.. I'm sick of the hating posts on ATS... I don't understand other countries telling Americans what to do (I know that may sound Ironic).. I'm one of those Americans who thinks we should close all our over seas bases and just let people be.

what else..

I'm tired of the ending of the world.

In my experience with shelters, they're either really good and will do all they can to help, or they're totally rubbish and it's impossible to get them to do anything.
The last cat we had needed re-homing because she kept attacking our son who was only 3 at the time. The shelter were so not bothered, didn't do any one of the things they said they were going to do. In the end, I found someone to take her myself.

We're having a very small Christmas this year. The only reason I've been able to give any presents at all this year is because I've been doing online market research all year for an international company. They pay per survey and I redeem for various vouchers, Amazon, or local stores. They have a US site if you're interested? I've earned about £70 this year alone, which might not sound like much, but it's enough to get presents for my son.

I too, am very sick of the doomsday threads! Roll on Saturday!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Mini rant for the day.

Was walking my son to school this morning, and these times in the morning are when we have our best talks. He's only 4 but he is smashing, a truly super kid. We were talking about puddles and pantomimes this morning and there was this woman behind us with her little girl who is in the same year.
Her little girl was chatting away, and her mum just wasn't interested, or listening. Giving the what I call 'hairdresser responses' - very falsely interested replies, "Oh yeah? Really? Uh huh?"
Today is a really exciting day for these little people, most of them have never had a day like this before.

Not everything kids say is important, but listen to your kids once in a while. They come out with amazingly insightful things sometimes, they're funny, and sweet and make your heart melt on a regular basis.

We spend our whole lives pushing kids away once they get to a certain age, and then once we get old and lonely, we want them to spend more time with us.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   

I listen to little kids...
Always have, and always will. I cut my little sisters cord when I was 4 and she was 1... 1 day old.

I don't know if it's just because I grew up in a large family (of hippies no less) or if I was just always this way..

I care more about people and their thoughts than I do about life..

My baby girl teaches 3 year olds at the moment, but she so needs to be a kindergarten teacher..

I have memories from 8 months old.

I guess my point is Listen MORE... Not you, but others... We havn't messed up the little ones yet.. It's better we listen to them, than teach them to get used to our world.. Let THEM change us, because it is us who are crazy, not them.

I can't wait to have a kid.. I know I'll freak out.. Still I can't wait.

So to complain from here.. F this world that it has become so distanced from the 90s.. Good cartoons, Good moral messages that I still live by... And at some point I will have to teach my babies what paper is... Already we use the word re-wind incorrectly, because nothing is wound in the first place..

Imagine trying to explain the meaning of rewind to a kid Now.. I'm not 30 yet but I am old old old old.. old....

When I used to steal music it was off the radio on cassette tapes. In the future my kid may ask me what stealing means... Since money won't exist.. What if concepts change so much that listening to Linkin Park sounds like it's from the 80s???

Maybe they will even name us as prophets for knowing that they will be "linked in... In he park." (linkin park) Some wifi brain link....

Oh Life.... So trippy..

edit on 12/20/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

What sort of talks do you have?

I remember stumping my parents a lot when I was 4..

Sucks that they knew what 100 plus 100 was.. I thought it was so big they could never add it up.. haha.. I miss that life..

edit on 12/20/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

oh how lovely. She obviously didn't want the kitten.

my cat is old and I am sure he is getting a kind of dementia. He actually hits me if I go away. Swipes me with one of his paws. I went away for 3 days for work a while ago and when I got back, he was really mad. LOL

I had to give him a cuddle and then his mood changed.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

That's cute. Animals can get so attached. I know people say "Cats are the ultimate users of the pet world", but relationships with animals can be pretty deep.
I don't think she got everything she expected in a cat from him, I think he turned out to be too much like hard work.
So many things she's said have turned out to be untrue; things like he's not very vocal - yet he meows often when hes alone in a room or he wants something, he doesn't beg for food - yet he'll come and sit with us and stare at us when we're eating even if he's just eaten, he only likes a certain type of litter - yet he's used every kind we've provided so far, he's not a lap cat - but he comes and sits with me or on me all the time. I asked her specifically if he was good with children and she said he was really chilled out - he hates my son going anywhere near him and with tolerate his presence at best, or scratch him when my son tries to stroke him.

The main thing she didn't tell me that I found quite sad was that he is actually really afraid of men, and males in general.
He's still not entirely used to my other half now, and will sometimes run off and hide if he walks into a room suddenly. But as I said, he really doesn't seem to like my little boy for some reason, and it's sad because he was the reason we wanted to get a cat in the first place.

We talk about everything. One of my favourite talks with him was explaining what shadows are, and how they're made, reflections; things that kids older than him are only grasping now. We talk about volcanoes and it makes me so proud because he is like a tiny version of me, when I was his age.
We talk about bones, and how they help us stand up and how if we didn't have bones we'd be all floppy.
I guess science-y stuff, he's still only young but he absolutely loves it, he's like a little sponge for learning

I just think its important to pay attention to kids. So many people don't give a crud about what their kids are doing, where they go. My friends in school used to get £20 a week pocket money. That was like my entire months worth of allowance. Its like people are paying their kids to go away.
People complain about the fact that their kids spend too much time on the games consoles... well hold on... who buys them these consoles... who buys the games? If you didn't want your kids to shut up for a few hours, then you wouldn't have bought them... It's a double edged sword.

It worries me that we spend time pushing kids away, their mentors become each other, and they're too young to give each other the proper moral and ethical values I would prefer to teach.

My partner also teaches pre-schoolers, and would like to be a kindergarten teacher as well

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Well! Looks like we're still here!
I saw on another thread that the world is supposed to end at 11:11am GMT, and when I questioned why the world would be ending specifically at that (very predictable time) in that timezone, no-one could answer me.

However, on a sadder note, I may be getting a phone call today telling me that one mans world has ended. And by world, I mean life.
My mum called me last night to tell me my Grandad had an injection for his Age-related Macular Degeneration, and no-one told him whatever it was had a 30% chance of him having a stroke. Well, he had a stroke, and it's made him really ill.
He's 83, and he's had two bouts of cancer in the last two years. He's going blind. Now this.
They know it's not a stroke caused by a clot because he's been on warfarin for as long as I can remember.

top topics

join