It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey .....Our nearest Star might have Life....!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Woke up this morning................T - 2 days and counting...............

and read this on the BBC website.....................

"Tau Ceti's planets nearest around single, Sun-like star"

www.bbc.co.uk...

Apparently Scientists have suggested that of the five planets around Tau, one of them is in the ''habitable'' zone.....

I know it's alot to expect but maybe just maybe this is nudging a wink to some kind of disclosure or suggestion that there is life....................just as we are about to be exterminated by some CME, Natural disaster, another stupid Twilight film or just insane mass hysteria.....

who knows eh...?

have a good day

Regards

PDUK

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Things are getting interesting... Good post. Who knows...

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Really cool, but have heard it too many times. Somethings gotta give. I can't keep hearing about the "Goldilocks zone" anymore.

I love you.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
Hey .....Our nearest Star might have Life....!

Since when has Tau Ceti been our nearest star?

Edit - oh I see, the thread title is wrong.

edit on 19-12-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Excellent....however the nearest star is PROXIMA Centurai (The clue is in the name) at 4.2 Light Years.

Lets also not get too excited about any distance measured in light years as the ability to travel at anything near that speed seems to be limited to small particles.

In persepctive, Voyager 1, travelling for more than 35 years is less than 0.002 light years away from our Sun.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jukiodone
Excellent....however the nearest star is PROXIMA Centurai (The clue is in the name) at 4.2 Light Years.

Just curious, does our star have a name or it just "The Sun"?

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by igor_ats

Just curious, does our star have a name or it just "The Sun"?

No it doesn't have a name, closest thing it has to a name is probably the Roman "Sol" ( or the Greek equivalent "Helios"), I think.

We need to start focussing on getting the technology to get to these systems within a reasonable time frame, I just hope that whole telomere research thingy is right, then I might actually live long enough to see it.

EDIT: PDUK, can you change the thread title to "Hey .....Our nearest sun like Star might have Life....!"

No offense meant mate, I know what you meant, but you know what people on this site can be like.

edit on 19/12/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Great find.

Know what you mean about the goldilocks zone.And then does it have a big friendly gas planet to draw all the asteroids,a moon to stabilise it....

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

edit on 19/12/12 by fastbob72 because: double post,sorry :-)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Oh this is MASSIVE news!!!
12 lights is like a baby step in galactic terms.
We could get there in maybe 30years using something like the Project Orion nuclear blast engine invented by Freeman Dyson decades back.

That could be our second home-But what if we found life there?
Heck it may even be our polar opposite planet,where the humans have got it right,and are all living in bliss with nature,no money,no wars-The last thing they would want was us coming to corrupt their paradise.

Still,its great news,and reinforces my idea that almost all of certain star types have habitable planets around them.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Sorry Alfa1........ I had only just woke up so I hadn't had time too research :-))

Just interesting info, but obviously not factually correct.............SORRY

Still maybe a new home to migrate to if we mess the Earth up.....

Regards
PDUK

new topics

top topics

join