Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Problems along the Mississippi river, a firsthand photo account.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ~widowmaker~

I really do not believe this is related to fracking.

I agree companies like to save a dollar though. I think this is all related mostly to the drought with some problems caused from their fix to the flooding last year.

Raist

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Well we got around 6-8 inches of snow. At this point though the river at Thebes is sitting a 5.99 feet. It is slowing a bit in getting lower but it is still getting lower. After this snow though we might start to see things turning around.

It is not a terribly wet snow, but it was wet enough to mold none the less. My son enjoyed it.

I am hoping we get some more this winter. I have noticed a trend though and I will say that I am comfortable in saying we will have some nice rains this next spring and summer. If trends go as they have been we could likely see at least a slight amount of flooding.

Raist

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The river at thebes is back on the rise only slightly. Today it sits at 6.0 feet barely above what it was yesterday, but every little bit helps.

It will be months before the river has returned to normal level but I think we could start to see a break.

Raist

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
As per the post just above this one I am feeling a bit optimistic despite the most recent news.

www.chicagobusiness.com...

The Waterways Council, which represents shippers and receivers of commodities, said in a message to its members Wednesday that it had received an advisory from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers on Monday that indicated water levels around Thebes, Ill., could be too low for most vessels to operate by Jan. 3 or 4.

Read more: www.chicagobusiness.com...
Stay on top of Chicago business with our free daily e-newsletters

The latest forecast calls for the Mississippi River gauge at Thebes to be at 3 feet on or around Jan. 3-4, with vessel drafts limited to 8 feet, according the Waterways Council. Most vessels require a 9-foot draft to operate.

Read more: www.chicagobusiness.com...
Stay on top of Chicago business with our free daily e-newsletters

If we can maintain a level that would stay just above the 3.5 feet mark the river can stay open. At this point the river would need to drop nearly 1.5 feet for it to close.

Raist

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
It seems the river has dropped again to just below 6 feet at Thebes. It is currently at 5.98 feet. At this depth it can still remain open. Local forcast is calling for rain/freezing rain in the next day and possibly more on Monday.

I still think it can remain open for the next week. As long as it does not get below 3.50 it should be fine.

Raist

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
River stages at Thebes today are at 5.76 feet. If things can hold even to the 5 feet range with melt water and rain the river should start to improve. Of course it will be months before any dramatic improvements are visable, but any improvement is better than none.

Raist

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Drove over the Missouri River here in Kansas City yesterday. Wish I could have taken pictures, but the look quite similar to yours. I was amazed at how low it was. I have a hard time believing that any large boat could navigate it. Small personal boats would have a hard time. Sandbars all over extending out past half way. I believe the core of engineers (if I'm reading it right) is saying the river is down to 5.7' in Kansas City. Not sure why we are not hearing about any of this in the news. I suppose it would make a bit of a panic??

www.nwd-mr.usace.army.mil...

It says Mississippi River is -3.7 ???
edit on 29-12-2012 by mrsdudara because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

Yeah you would think panic would be in order, or at least nation wide concern within the media.

I was hoping this story would get out there more so people could understand the problem. However, I am not seeing a great deal of interest or care in the eyes of many. I have placed the same photos and told the story elsewhere and no one seems to care. This should really be on the front page of all media outlets.

The river seems to have taken a drastic turn for the worse in the last 24 hours. My reading shows 4.9 feet at Thebes. We recieved another 3 inches or so of snow last night, with more expected Monday and Tuesday.

I might be wrong, maybe the river will drop too low within the next week. I just do not understand how it was holding so well then suddenly drops off nearly a foot within 24 hours. I am seriously saddened by this.

Raist

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
The river is dropping insanely fast. At this point it sits at 4.4 feet at Thebes. This is not looking good for the river to remain open.

Raist

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The drop in the river has slowed a bit, though it is still dropping.

Right now it shows 4.32 feet. I am using the ap RiverFlows on my smart phone to keep up with the river levels. If anyone is interested in getting the readings themselves this is one way they can do it on their phone.

Raist

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
At this time tonight the river level at Thebes is sitting at 4.03 feet. We are nearing the mark when I took the photos that started this thread. The river was open at that point. As long as it stays at that point or above it will remain open. I do not think it will stay open if it drops below 3.5 feet.

Raist

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
**Happening Now**

I just saw this on The Weather Channel. They did a segment on it a few minutes ago!!! FINALLY!! Somebody is actually paying attention to the fact of what barges (sp) really haul. TWC did a little graphic comparing it to thousands of semi trucks! Quite impressive!!

The river looks horrible and one barge owner was concerned about lay offs. An interviewee stated they are talking about opening some damns along the Missouri River to help.....
(((

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
At this time tonight the river level at Thebes is sitting at 4.03 feet. We are nearing the mark when I took the photos that started this thread. The river was open at that point. As long as it stays at that point or above it will remain open. I do not think it will stay open if it drops below 3.5 feet.

Raist

Thank you again for this thread! I read it when you first posted it and have been watching....TWC is saying it is drought related.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

Thanks for the update about TWC. Glad to hear some news about these troubles are getting out.

I wish more people could see the photos.

I sent the link to the photos to the local news station and never heard or seen anything. The small bit they did they day the dredging started did not show the water looking as low because they did not get down where the water should be.

Raist

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
The river at Thebes has now hit 3.88 feet. If it drops much lower the river will shut down. Millions of dollars will be lost daily. This not only affecs the U.S. but many other places around the world.

This is very serious, why more news is not getting out I do not know. It is nearly a media blackout on the subject.

Raist

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I'm confused. I thought they were opening up the traffic but from your post, it the river is getting worse?? What exactly is the situation at this moment?

Thanks

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Here is the drought map.
It shows just how dry things are over the years.
droughtmonitor.unl.edu...

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

My understanding is that other parts of the river might have shut down for a day due to a barge running aground (I think they got to close to a sand bar build up).

At this point though the river at Thebes has remained open (as I understand it this is also the lowest part of the river). The water at this area though is getting lower. Though today is seems steady at 3.88.

This area risks shutting the river down. This is also the area that they continue to remove rock through dredging, they still are not blasting to my knowledge (at least there has been no mention of this since they said they were holding back on it).

I wish I could tell you more but the media is not really giving much of a story on this and at best all I can do is go and look at how low it is getting. My son has been out of school the last two weeks so I have not been down to the river due to low temps and just the saftey issues involved.

Raist

Raist

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

Thanks for the map. From looking at it you can see that we were no where near drought in the earliest of 2012. In fact the river was still pretty high at that time from the flooding in 2011.

Raist

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Although I'm not physically close, I realize the impact of the river closing down. I so much appreciate your diligence in tracking the information available and presenting it here. I wanted you to know that I am following your posts closely and think the information you provide is very important.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join