It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enough with the apocalyptic shows already!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Between the History channels and Discovery channels, we are being completely inundated with these apocalyptic shows. Almost on a 24-7 rotation this week. Nostradamus, Myans, asreroids, even frickin zombies! Am I the only 1 who thinks they actually want something to happen this Friday? Most of the shows are really grasping at straws to find correlations to the end of the world. Sadly though, the gullible and the naive are eating this up. Will this immense amount of programming cause some to snap?

My kids ask me pretty regularly if I think the world is going to end Friday, And I repeatedly reassure them that no it is not. Then they ask me well what's with all these shows about the end of the world this week? Then I tell them it's just a bunch of idiots Trying to increase their ratings with the gullible people of the world. Even the damn commercials are apocalypse based, I just saw jello commercial about the 21st.

All I know is I cannot wait until Saturday the 22nd, 2012!
edit on 18-12-2012 by imawlinn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
It's exactly what you've said. Everyone is trying to cash-in or get ratings. I'm really worried about the people that really believe it, though, because, let's face it, these shows are really feeding that fear. I know someone who killed herself by drinking gasoline during the Y2K thing, so it's kind of scary.

Everything's been a lot calmer than I thought it'd be, though. Which is great. Hopefully we won't see anyone go really crazy.
edit on 18-12-2012 by missflowers because: reasons

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by imawlinn

I was thinking the same thing today as I was flipping through the channels and seeing a show on possible ways the world can end. I agree they're using these programs to play on the gullible and to increase their viewer ratings. The problem with these programs is it causes children to fear they have no future, and it makes some people paranoid to the point where it effects their daily lives.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I saw this coming years ago when the bookstores started having tables for "The End Of The World."

It's the week of the doomsday date of course we will be inundated with this kind of programming. Thank goodness I dont have cable so I watch what I want. I think on Friday I'll watch all the disaster movies in a row.

December 21 is like a holiday. Look at Halloween or Christmas, there is usually programming related to that holiday on for days if not weeks in advance and well this is the mother load of dates so it will be worse.

Personally I think nothing will happen since the date is made up and pushed by Hollywood for money and to scare people. The Mayans never said the world would end that came from the Western world.

I sure hope nothing bad happens in the form of a self fulfilling prophecy though. Too many crazies out there that want something to happen so desperately.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Self fulfilling prophecy is my main worry. I see a lot of looting rioting and fighting on Friday. Really debating whether or not to send the kids to school on Friday.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
That's how I feel when I've benn seeing all thr 2012 threads on here. Imagine all the money these people are making off this 2012 propaganda and when the 2012 does cut after this Friday, they will make documentaries how the Mayans were wrong and they meant to say 2013 instead!!!!!

It will never end.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
It will be over next week.(if nothing happens)........... Like the elections, romney who?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Now...

I agree that there is a current glut regarding the subject of the apocalypse. Such is culture. Networks throw shows out and then, if one gets good ratings? They SPAM the same concept over and over again.

The upside? It's been months since I've heard anyone discuss Survivor, The Voice, American Idol, or Ellen. Every cloud has a silver lining.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
stop watching TV... i dont watch tv and when you guys say its everywhere, i dont see it.
just disconnect your television, its that simple

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

I agree. The media are revelling in it. There is an increase in horrors; the graphic nature of the footage. I read just recently that a cinema that was supposed to be showing a kids movie, stuffed up and played some other violent movie instead. There is a thread about it on ATS but I do not remember what it was called. It is recent though.

I also checked youtube for some info regarding the movie Hitchhiker, only because they stated the movie was released in 2007 and yet I remember watching it in the the 80s. It was brutal and violent and sure, there was a series in the 80s called hitchhiker but none of the series had the garage scene in it.

Whilst I was looking for that film, I specifically looked for a scene in one of the Dirty Harry movies and whilst looking for it, the movie changed midway through from Dirty Harry, late 1970s to early 1980s over to lethal weapon which was in the 90s. I found that was very odd and at first, I didn't notice it.

Maybe media are manipulating people or trying to deliberately shock people and the younger generation is vulnerable... I will try to find the thread about that one.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

top topics

join