It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The dangerously mentally ill - how we create them

page: 1
5

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
This is a very simple message, that extends beyond the mentally ill, but it does include them...

Them VS Us.

They are humans, just like you, with dreams, hopes, and needs, who are being labeled, and told: you do not belong to the rest of the establishment, you do not belong with the rest of us.

They are being told, that who they are is wrong, what they do is wrong, and what they think is wrong.

My message is simple: If you are told that you are essentially not welcome, how would you react? If every human you talk to looked at you as wrong and not part of their world?

How would you feel if nobody accepted you for who you are?

....If you felt absolutely unaccepted?

Would you not go crazy??


IMO, that is what happens to most of the mentally ill, they are not bad human beings in the beginning, they are just, not like you, but after years of this abuse, they get angry, they get a need to take revenge, and they get to be so disconnected to the world around them that they CAN feel nothing.


That is how many people feel right now, because they are not as you. They feel judged constantly. They feel alone. They feel unloved...




posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Bullying is obviously a serious part of the equation (Intolerance should not be tolerated).



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by iamdavid
 


Kind of the theory about how if you cage a person, they act differently. Cage a person's mind, they act differently.

I think the hope by the *snip* is that in caging people's minds, they will remain subordinate due to the stacked amount of fears placed upon them, social ridicule and acceptance, as well as forced living incentives.
edit on 18-12-2012 by Asktheanimals because: offensive language removed



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
Bullying is obviously a serious part of the equation (Intolerance should not be tolerated).


OK, let me get this right, according to your post we should not tolerate intolerance, but isn't being intolerant of intolerance still intolerance, which is what you are against? This politically correct doublespeak is hurting my head LOL.

Cheers - Dave



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I think you hit the nail on the head.

S + F

In my mind, I see people of all size, shape, color, and of a different shade of beauty, when focused from just the right angle.

Last night, a good friend told me something I'll never forget.

Deep down we all need three basic things:

Something to do

Someone to love

&Something to have hope for

He said you don't need them all to be happy, but you need at least one to keep going.

This young adult didn't have one. Why didn't the environment provide at least one for him? Why is there any individual in this first world who can't have at least one, and ends up going berserk, or dies out?

I think the answer is in the culture.

Nothing else fits in my mind.
edit on 18-12-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by iamdavid
 


On hands and knees we crawl you cannot stop us all our blood our skin we will not let you in
Our bones will break we will not go away we will not leave this place.



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I thought everyone has been welcoming to the mentally disabled. People boast about their disorders,syndromes and defects constantly. They boast of all the meds they take for their depression, anxieties, adht, add and so on. I thought it was totally acceptable to have mental problems and brag about them like some honor. People like to play the victim part and society has totally welcomed them with open arms. Some people here use aspie for their user name.

Now if you're talking about these deformed physically, I believe they are looked at funny and not welcomed as much by society. Sadly, Its been that way and will never change.

The mental disabled are now sensitive suddenly since the sandy hook shooting, but I disagree that the mental I'll are violent because society doesnt embrace them.
The fact is people,mentally ill or normal, do violent things sometimes. No one or thing to blame but the person who did the violent act. Its called freewill.



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspireMe
I thought everyone has been welcoming to the mentally disabled. People boast about their disorders,syndromes and defects constantly. They boast of all the meds they take for their depression, anxieties, adht, add and so on. I thought it was totally acceptable to have mental problems and brag about them like some honor. People like to play the victim part and society has totally welcomed them with open arms. Some people here use aspie for their user name.

Now if you're talking about these deformed physically, I believe they are looked at funny and not welcomed as much by society. Sadly, Its been that way and will never change.

The mental disabled are now sensitive suddenly since the sandy hook shooting, but I disagree that the mental I'll are violent because society doesnt embrace them.
The fact is people,mentally ill or normal, do violent things sometimes. No one or thing to blame but the person who did the violent act. Its called freewill.


That might be true among the upper middle class and the rich, but that is not how it works among the poor.

The difference between crazy and eccentric is the amount of money in the bank account



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamdavid
That might be true among the upper middle class and the rich, but that is not how it works among the poor.

The difference between crazy and eccentric is the amount of money in the bank account


True, but this kid was well off and he still wasn't allowed to have a place in society.

He had some smarts and I'm assuming some sort of talent. If he was included in society in some way, shape, or form my guess is the outcome might have been different. It seems like it could benefit someone somewhere to put him to work on something, but I guess that's a product of a hyper competitive society. I can only think that with all the opportunities for telecommunication jobs there had to be something.

Anyway, everything that they're proposing seems to push these types of people even further aside. Maybe they want to create more jobs in healthcare, so they'll put them all in hospitals.
edit on 18-12-2012 by 5K3P7IC41 because: grammar



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle
 

Yea I know it kind of goes round and round....but my point is that bullying is the result of someone not tolerating someone else who is different or perceived to be weaker and that should not be tolerated.



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamdavid
This is a very simple message, that extends beyond the mentally ill, but it does include them...

Them VS Us.

They are humans, just like you, with dreams, hopes, and needs, who are being labeled, and told: you do not belong to the rest of the establishment, you do not belong with the rest of us.

They are being told, that who they are is wrong, what they do is wrong, and what they think is wrong.

My message is simple: If you are told that you are essentially not welcome, how would you react? If every human you talk to looked at you as wrong and not part of their world?

How would you feel if nobody accepted you for who you are?

....If you felt absolutely unaccepted?

Would you not go crazy??


IMO, that is what happens to most of the mentally ill, they are not bad human beings in the beginning, they are just, not like you, but after years of this abuse, they get angry, they get a need to take revenge, and they get to be so disconnected to the world around them that they CAN feel nothing.


That is how many people feel right now, because they are not as you. They feel judged constantly. They feel alone. They feel unloved...




Good post, and long overdue. We haven't seen the worst yet. There are millions of ostrisized, unloved and abused children who will one day return the favor. Wait until these young geniuses (we call them mentally disabled autistics) turn against society. Oooooh boy, we ain't seen nuttin yet.



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by iamdavid
 


Locking someone up in a mental hospital is not the answer!! They are killing humans in these so-called hospitals everyday!! Its nothing but a money making business!! All they do is over medicate them and sometimes beat them. The human has no rights once thrown into a mental hospital, they would have more rights in a prison. Check out the citizens commission on human rights out of California. Locking someone up creates Terrorists.

Allot of people whom are labeled as Mental are not. This kind of action could also make them lose their career. Once someone is thrown in a mental hospital they are put into a data base with The Department Of Health and Human Services forever with other people who have been put in drug treatment programs and whom have Aids!! Do you call this a free America?? Anyone whom has a gun is subject to a mental evaluation at any time in this country. So therefore the Government can take away all your guns and screw you're career up at the same time. Most of the medications screw the body up and work like poison.

We as Americans cannot just start locking people up, just because we think they may do something.

There are so many supernatural things that happen in this world that people want even question. Can you imagine being put into a database for the rest of you're life and not being able to un-do such an action. The First Department of Defense Guy for the United States started talking about releasing information about Aliens to the Public and they had him thrown into a Naval Military Mental Hospital and killed him with insulin. Their point to dis-credit him, and get rid of him.

If some-one is in need of this type of service, it should be out-patient therapy. There is no-sense here in America locking people up because some-one may think they are strange.
edit on 18-12-2012 by Apollo7 because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspireMe
 



Originally posted by ConspireMe
I thought everyone has been welcoming to the mentally disabled. People boast about their disorders,syndromes and defects constantly. They boast of all the meds they take for their depression, anxieties, adht, add and so on. I thought it was totally acceptable to have mental problems and brag about them like some honor. People like to play the victim part and society has totally welcomed them with open arms. Some people here use aspie for their user name.

I think that this is a very myopic view of people who live with mental illness since there is a wide spectrum of disorders along the mental health continuum. Not everyone with a mental illness is "mentally disabled" and I've never known of anyone who went around boasting or bragging that they had a mental illness. It's a constant struggle for most. Do you know how many people suffer from mental illnesses? Believe me when I say that any combination of your family members, neighbors, co-workers, etc., might struggle with a mental illness on a daily basis and you have absolutely no idea. From the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI):


Here are some important facts about mental illness and recovery:

Mental illnesses are serious medical illnesses. They cannot be overcome through "will power" and are not related to a person's "character" or intelligence. Mental illness falls along a continuum of severity. Even though mental illness is widespread in the population, the main burden of illness is concentrated in a much smaller proportion-about 6 percent, or 1 in 17 Americans-who live with a serious mental illness. The National Institute of Mental Health reports that One in four adults-approximately 57.7 million Americans-experience a mental health disorder in a given year

The U.S. Surgeon General reports that 10 percent of children and adolescents in the United States suffer from serious emotional and mental disorders that cause significant functional impairment in their day-to-day lives at home, in school and with peers.

The World Health Organization has reported that four of the 10 leading causes of disability in the US and other developed countries are mental disorders. By 2020, Major Depressive illness will be the leading cause of disability in the world for women and children.

Mental illness usually strike individuals in the prime of their lives, often during adolescence and young adulthood. All ages are susceptible, but the young and the old are especially vulnerable.


The mental disabled are now sensitive suddenly since the sandy hook shooting, but I disagree that the mental I'll are violent because society doesnt embrace them

Again, I just don't agree.


Without treatment the consequences of mental illness for the individual and society are staggering: unnecessary disability, unemployment, substance abuse, homelessness, inappropriate incarceration, suicide and wasted lives; The economic cost of untreated mental illness is more than 100 billion dollars each year in the United States.


Stigma erodes confidence that mental disorders are real, treatable health conditions. We have allowed stigma and a now unwarranted sense of hopelessness to erect attitudinal, structural and financial barriers to effective treatment and recovery.



posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
reply to post by bobs_uruncle
 

Yea I know it kind of goes round and round....but my point is that bullying is the result of someone not tolerating someone else who is different or perceived to be weaker and that should not be tolerated.


I fully agree the bullying has to stop, but I am not sure if bullying is intolerance based, fear based or control based or a mix of all three. In some cases "bullying" is actually a sign of affection, especially in the juvenille. We also find that bullying is predominant in predators, sociopaths and psychopaths, you know, the people who make up the government and of course many sucessfull business enterprises. If we are going to try and fix the situation, maybe we should sterilize all the people with predatory, sociopathic or psychopathic tendancies and take them out of positions of power as well? It is highly improbable that psychological conditioning will cure a genetically neurological disposition. But then thinking in these terms, we are being intolerant of sociopaths and psychopaths LOL, so yep, full circle.

I think I'll go look for that big virtual reality RESET button ;-)

Cheers - Dave



posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Love your heart and compassion. There are degrees of mental illness. There are those that function very well in society. In fact, I bet you that you have a couple in your circle of friends and you do not know that they are afflicted.

There are those that their lives are impacted. They have periods of accomplishment, and self confidence but crash at specific times.

Then there are those that are obviously disabled. Everyone that comes into contact is very aware of the individual's incapacity.

I am not going to argue whether it is chemical or psychological. All I know is that no one has offered a remedy sans pharmaceuticals.

But there are conditions that are mental/emotional that cause disfunction and distress. They are present before the onset of pharmacology.



new topics

top topics



 
5

log in

join