It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PHOTO: Mount Everest, in two billion pixels

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

I kept thinking i wanted to see people for scale....then sure enough if you zoom in near the bottom there are tents and people everywhere....very cooll.....good share.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Go to the ice flow (dead center) and find the edge of the shadow form the peak. Follow this shadow up and down and you will find groups of 1-3 climbers.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Amazing imagery. Great find.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Aaaaaaaaaan I've already found a UFO or some photo artifact. Check out the second big mountain peak from the left and directly over the peak you'll stumble upon a black object floating in the sky ;o

Wait no.. that's just a bird.
edit on 19-12-2012 by LatvianGuy because: bird

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
That is just a fantastic photo!! Thanks so much for posting it. Before zooming in, I thought the blue and orange stuff was just oxygen tanks left around...the closer you get, the more amazing the picture. I hit Full Screen, zoomed to the max and panned from extreme right to extreme left, following the crests of the peaks. I literally felt giddy, like you do on a roller coaster. It's awesome.

I'm always torn between complete respect for nature at her best, and the endeavors of man to conquer her. The loss of life in trying to summit Everest (or Chomolungma or Sagamartha) is tragic, and I didn't really understand the lure of the mountain. I've read a lot of first-hand accounts of those who have made the trek...and I began to understand, a little. Still it would be nice to think that there is just a tiny part of our Earth that has remained pristine and sacred, unsullied by the hand (or feet) of Man. (Or Woman.)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ooYODAoo
reply to post by hp1229

yes you can...look at the bottom of the image, you can see camps and tents of the climbers
Got it. I saw. That is amazing. I guess they're already at some elevation at that point.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Truly spine tingling photo , just spent about a hour zooming in and exploring that huge mountain .

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
WOW!
Just wow, there isn't much that can make me speachless, but this - Beautiful!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Had to star you for that. It's beautiful. Appreciate the link. ~$heopleNation

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by tiger_tts

Wow! ... I found them! Thanks for the info, tiger

For others: On the left side of the ice flow rock begins to shade the ice. If you follow this line while fully zoomed in you will find some climbers

Thanks again, tiger!

-AS-

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I'm glad I don't have a 56 kbits modem anymore. Look's pretty interesting. They should point it at the moon.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Avgudar

You need to have the camera on the moons surface. Otherwise you would probably get a better image through your telescope

-AS-

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I was scrolling and seen a couple humans!! I mean they were SO tiny!! This thing is HUGE!!! It sucks because I can't find the humans any more, that's how small they were. Really puts the scale of this giant into perspective.

Thanks for sharing!

S&F!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
amazing picture, its so amazingly clear, i keep zooming into random spots. Thank you for sharing

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Base camp is at about 5000 feet but I think that's the next one up; base doesn't seem to be near the ice fall.

If you look at the farthest-right of the tents, there's a group putting up the frame of a yurt; just to the right of this there looks like what appears to be a meteor impact site, and another larger one to the right of that a ways. They're full of ice now and make a nice round hole in the ground. I don't know what else could have made them, they're too regular.

Edited to add, if you scan all the way to the right (almost behind the place where the picture first loads to), THERE'S base camp. It's blue and has real buildings, not just tents.

There's people about halfway up the mountain, and more at what is probably the last camp area before the place they summit from; you can see them in the smooth snow part of the Everest climb, right below where the snow is melted and they're going up the sheer black diagonal rock face. There's a lot of people there, surprising!
edit on 19-12-2012 by signalfire because: addendum

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
certainly need more photos in this resolution...my graphics card RARELY gets a nice chance to showcase its rendering qualities on photos

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Looks awesome. thanks for posting

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
holy scnikes batman! I was looking at the photo, and towards the bottom, I was what I thought was some trash, ect, but it turns out that those are tents! Also this photo looks gorgeous on the macbook pro w/retina display!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I thought for sure zooming in would start to wash the picture out..wow..amazing...

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Just had a proper look on the big computer - so awesome! You can actually see individual hikers climbing up the mountain! I love the prayer flags strung up around all the tents at base camp too

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join