It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PHOTO: Mount Everest, in two billion pixels

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I, absolutely, love these types of photographs. There is so much to see and explore! I thought many nature admirers would like to see this

Click here, to see the picture in full billion pixel detail! (Then click the picture in the link lol)

Cheers,

-AS-
edit on 18-12-2012 by AeonStorm because: added + grammar

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
AMAZING!!!

I remember just a couple years back a picture this size would crash your computer.

With a picture this big its really hard to gauge the perspective. Try to find the blue tints on the ground, they are tinny when zoomed all the way out. Ant size.
edit on 18-12-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
That is incredible...and those pics are always so weird to me. The lack of scale makes it almost look like a bunch of BIG hills anywhere in the word. Without that massive peak in the distance shot more commonly seen? It just doesn't look like what it is...

I wonder how high up this is too? Is this showing from base upward? (totally lost for perspective) It's the total lack of snow and ice that had me scratching my head. There aren't lower areas of that mountain losing ice which used to have it are there?

S/F for the find though. Breathtaking panorama. Really awesome!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It would be better to have something to judge the scale.... but it's amazing none the less.

What I wonder is how many poor souls died trying to conquer that mountain.

I live about 5-6 hrs from the Colombian icefields....

See all that rock? When I was a kid the glacier used to touch the river below, now look at it.
And this is high altitude....Not sure how high....but it's the highest point between Banff and Jasper National parks.

On an off topic note: One of my best memories came from drinking water straight off the glacier.
edit on 18-12-2012 by AeonStorm because: added+grammar

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Amazing picture!

Dear Santa,
Can I have a gigapixel camera for Christmas? Pretty please?
Lot's of love
Miss K,
Aged 30 and a bit.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

Everest is a monument to the fallen in the truest and most literal sense as I understand it. A number will always remain on the mountain lost or beyond realistic recovery.

I have mixed feelings on things like the IMAX, which the guy that photo came from happened to be a part of. The 1996 season on the mountain. For those who have read or know about it..probably enough said there. For those who don't know, it was the deadliest year in Everest's history with 8 dead in one storm and 12 for the season. On some of that loss, the books that have been written about it suggest certain teams going for the summit made certain decisions based on commercial priorities. IMAX got made....they didn't get interrupted. Indeed. (sigh)

Still...That doesn't take anything away from the majesty of the photo itself. What a place..and your own photo of the Colombia Ice Field is incredible. Wow.... I didn't get the scale on that until I realized I could just barely see individual trees way down at the bottom. That's almost enough for a moment of vertigo on scale there too.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

If you ever get the chance...visit the Icefield. It amazing.

Right click, then go "view image" then zoom in by clicking on the picture, to get a sense of scale.

Right click, then go "view image" then click on the picture to zoom in.

Peace,

-AS-
edit on 18-12-2012 by AeonStorm because: info + code

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

You know, if all I am going to college for gets me back to having that thing we all call disposable income....I'll make a point of doing that. I'm the kind of guy who looks at that and wonders about what the world must have been like when the snow fell that originally made the ice there we can see again now. Nature is a place of endless wonder and Canada is a place I plan to take my Son to at some point. That's my own Mom's birthplace after all.
A Small world, it certainly is. That looks like a must see to put on the list.

(They drive up onto the ice to that point and make a day trip of wandering for awhile or how does it work up there? I have no idea how natural resource locations are 'run' or guided in Canada?)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Awesome! Thanks OP! S&F. As a photographer, I love peeping at other peoples work, so something this massive will have me exploring for sure!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Yeah, they let you drive WAAAY up the glacier then you are allowed some time to experience the glacier. They cleared out an area from loose snow and rough ice. Anyone can go onto the actual glacier but it's at your own personal risk. (there can be hidden crevasses beyond the cleared point. There is a gash between the paved (or cleared) area and the actual field ... Water runs through that gash. Best water I've ever tasted.

ETA: So where was your mom born?

edit on 18-12-2012 by AeonStorm because: eta

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
WOW! ... Here's a sense of scale!!.... If you look at the edge of the glacier you'll see "colored blocks".....those are actual tents!!

Offtopic: It's kinda discouraging that more aren't interested in the OP. Not for any personal gain but just for the love of nature.
edit on 18-12-2012 by AeonStorm because: offtopic[ + grammar

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
wow nice pic, didnt get the scale first, but than i zoomed to the right and discoverd the houses.... its huge

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Beautiful Image. Too bad cannot scale humans to the summit in this image of Everest.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
My monitor is 1920 x 1080 which equals 2073600 pixels. How am I suppose to see the other 1997926400 pixels?

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Wow, i just spotted several people climbing the mountain ... that really put into perspective how big that mountain is, and how awesome that tech is.
edit on 19-12-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Now thats what you call resolution. Thanx for the share

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12

Wow, i just spotted several people climbing the mountain ... that really put into perspective how big that mountain is, and how awesome that tech is.
edit on 19-12-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

could you be a little more specific?....i have been going over it and all i see are the hundreds of tents in the huge base camp. that truly is a great picture....i believe the massive base camp is at the 20,000 foot level, at least that's what i've read about. don't they have to stay there for a few days just to get the blood acclimated to the lack of oxygen, before they go higher...then at the 25,000 foot level, if you DON'T have oxy-tanks, the cells in the body start to die off.
edit on 19-12-2012 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-12-2012 by jimmyx because: addition

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

yes you can...

look at the bottom of the image, you can see camps and tents of the climbers

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
A few minutes of exploration on this picture earlier led me to the conclusion that it sure is big. They don't call it Mount Everest for nothing! No sign of bigfoot or sherpas so far, but lots of rock. It would be nice to have a several billion pixel pic of Washington D.C., London, Moscow, and people like Kiera Knightley.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
That is incredible...and those pics are always so weird to me. The lack of scale makes it almost look like a bunch of BIG hills anywhere in the word.

That's not specific just to photos. When one goes mountaineering, it's really hard to gauge the distance and altitude. The scales are so different from everyday life, you are literally lost.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join