Uhhhm...what does it mean when electricity arcs between your fingertips?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I get it a lot, usually in the winter when the air is dry. I think it's just static discharge.

Pretty embarrassing when you yell like a banshee in the grocery store bc you just shocked the heck out of yourself.

M husband has to stop wearing watches in the winter, he literally fries them.

A friend of mine does the same to desktop computers. Every winter they go haywire around her because she wears a lot of wooly sweaters and builds up quite the static charge.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AFewGoodWomen
I've seen a few threads on the weird fogs settling in over cities...they reek of burnt ozone and you can feel the electricity in the air, even though the skies above are clear.

Soooo....last week we had one of those nights, and I swear, I was sitting in a chair cross legged with my hands on my knees and I suddenly felt a jolt of electricity go up my body from the floor up, but it didn't hurt. it felt effin good...after the jolt, I raised my hands off of my knees and an arc of blue electricity went from my left hand to my right...

I happened again a few nights later...I checked the outlets to assure that the furniture wasn't sitting on a wire...bizarre...yet

AWESOME.

Anyone else??? Please chime in...I know you will (psst...I'm not crazy, muhahahaha

Interesting.... what type of chair were you sitting on? Was it a metal chair, or a wooden chair? Were you inside of your house, or outside of your house? Do you have any of those large generating windmills near you? Do you have a chain link fence that runs under your power lines?

I've put a Tesla meter right under the top rail of some chain link fences before at home sites where people have died from cancer and the Tesla reading was off the scale. That's why I don't like chain link fences, they carry an electric charge and lots of people grab that top pipe railing when talking to their neighbors.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

I was in the middle of my second floor apartment on a recliner...I'm just a little thing...so I can sit in it crosslegged.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

reply to post by RussianScientists

I was in the middle of my second floor apartment on a recliner...I'm just a little thing...so I can sit in it crosslegged.

Cloth, vinyl or leather and were you wearing wooly socks and/or a sweater?

Unless it was hardwood floors, a leather recliner and you were unclothed, it's most likely static electricity.

edit on 18-12-2012 by L8RT8RZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

The fact that you don't believe it doesn't make it any less true.

Logic wins...every time.

Rookie

Well, eyeballing it, my hands are a bit over a half meter apart when I rest my hands on my knees and cross my legs, because I gots short legs.

At that distance, it takes about 1.5 megavolts to cause an arc between my hands. That's 1.5MV of potential difference between my hands. Only thing is, I've also got about 10K of impedance between my hands if they're wet. So in order to maintain that 1.5MV potential, I'd have to run about 150A through my body from whatever magical source that would produce it. And I'd be radiating 225MW of heat.

Logic would say, that's probably not happening. So, no sparks from one hand to the other at crossed leg distance. Actually, you can't draw a spark to yourself from yourself of any length, because the Paschen minimum is about 300 Volts, and you'll be busy being electrocuted trying to keep that much potential across various parts of your anatomy.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AFewGoodWomen

Maybe ground currents from solar activity or Northern lights? I guess you can get them from dust storms also. It doesn't make sense to have them in a fog although lightning forms in clouds which are related to fog.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Many years ago, I had an experience where I put my finger in an electrical outlet and was "shocked". But it didn't hurt, instead, it was more of a tickle that ran up my right arm.

I was about 5 or 6 when it happened though. Kind of a similar experience when it comes to "sensation" I thought I would share.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

You are using evidence that doesn't apply. She said it was foggy and fog acts as a conductor. Depending on altitude and any sources of ground voltage, it is possible to have a couple of thousand volts in the air. I have had my hair stand on end and felt the tingling in the body before lightning struck the trees near me over the years. That low amp energy won't usually hurt us though. I studied this quite a bit a while back. The trees even have a high voltage on their surface, I was checking that out with a tester trying to find out how to harness it.

I don't know if a blue spark between the two sides of your body is possible but I have shocked people many times in the past from building up static electricity in my body by rubbing my feet on the older carpetings. That doesn't seem to happen with the new carpets any more.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I'me with the others saying static discharge. Go back and check the humidity levels that night. Very low = lots o static.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

It sounds like you might have somehow tapped into your body's natural energy field or aura without realizing it. There are many people who train to use this type of energy in the healing arts. You might have a natural ability to harness this energy. Has anything like this ever happened to you before?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketgirl

It would have been a lot worse if you were touching something that was grounded. The energy didn't pass directly through you. I've felt that tingling many times doing electrical work on live wires. If you had the energy go through you it could damage the heart.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
it means Jack Burton's in big trouble.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foundryman

It means you are Electro-man!

You really want us to believe this?

I'm a chick... man...I figured the pink avatar and the word "Women" in my name would give that away.

...not really looking for believers, just wondering if anyone else has had any similar experiences...that is all.
The fact that you don't believe it doesn't make it any less true.

Logic wins...every time.

Rookie

One of the reasons I hate the winter, GETTING SHOCKED! The hubs was sitting across from me one day, as I went to turn off the mini portable heater, all he seen was a white flash from the heater to my finger, which burned like hell. Had to put ice water on my finger, then realized I had a burn mark on the tip of my index finger. The air is so dry in the winter, I hesitate whenever I have to touch any switches....that's really the worste of It for me...

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
You are using evidence that doesn't apply.

Oh, sure it does.

She said it was foggy and fog acts as a conductor. Depending on altitude and any sources of ground voltage, it is possible to have a couple of thousand volts in the air.

From where to where? Seriously, she's also saying she was inside on a chair. Was it foggy in the house? I think not. Nonetheless, your argument only makes it worse - if indeed foggy air is a "conductor", which it's not, now she'd have to have even more current flowing through her to maintain enough potential difference to arc hand to hand.

I have had my hair stand on end and felt the tingling in the body before lightning struck the trees near me over the years.

Not the same thing at all.

I don't know if a blue spark between the two sides of your body is possible but I have shocked people many times in the past from building up static electricity in my body by rubbing my feet on the older carpetings. That doesn't seem to happen with the new carpets any more.

It's not. However, what you're describing is a different scenario. You can definitely have two different objects - yourself and, say, a doorknob or another person - at different potentials. What you can't get is a spark like that across a comparatively good conducting surface without a huge current flow. Like hand-to-hand. Also, it takes about 30kV per cm for an arc in dry air. It's a bit less in damp, but a two foot arc hand to hand ain't happening unless you're made out of porcelain and have metal hands.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

Current can flow through damp air without a spark at all, thousands of volts in fact. It happens in nature all the time. I don't think what The person said is probable but I just can't let improper evidence be used to disprove it. Nothing personal.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

I wasn't trying to make electricity from my hands...my lifting up my hands after the jolt was in reaction to the jolt...it happened...I don't know how, it's strange.

It felt like a million orgasms. I'm sorry, but it's the only way to describe it.

(blush)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

I remember at school, eon ago, that we had some kind of synthetic carpet. As a laugh, if you scuffed your shoes over it you could sneak up on a person and give them a really good jolt. Static electricity. Could be from your sofa, clothing etc.

Polyester and nylon are the main culprits.
edit on 18-12-2012 by Hopeforeveryone because:
edit on 18-12-2012 by Hopeforeveryone because: typos
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopeforeveryone

Well, the chair is vinyl and I was wearing shorts and no shoes or socks...We are on carpet...but the weather was a balmy 70ish degrees...

as I said...strange, and I'm smart enough to think of these possibilities before I post, thank you.

I was however, kinda in deep thought when it happened, about something I can't even remember now, don't know if that would have anything to do with it...probably just wishful thinking on my part.
edit on 18-12-2012 by AFewGoodWomen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Could be freaky ionised air chargin you up - but i'm no electrical wizard. Sorry if i insulted your intelligence. I tend to look for rational explanations then move on to increasingly weirder ones
edit on 18-12-2012 by Hopeforeveryone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by timidgal

It sounds like you might have somehow tapped into your body's natural energy field or aura without realizing it. There are many people who train to use this type of energy in the healing arts. You might have a natural ability to harness this energy. Has anything like this ever happened to you before?

No...but I hesitate to admit that I am a paranormal investigator...but this felt purely natural, I don't believe it was supernatural at all...just really effin cool.

I feel changed...in a way. Like I got a glimpse of something wonderful, a gift for a split second...but at the same time...like it's the way it's supposed to be. I don't know...words fail me.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join