It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA: We're prepared "to help make sure this never happens again"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
reply to post by geocom

Looking at the link you have.

Methods prohibited (in use or in possession) Self-loading firearms with capacity of more than 11 cartridges in magazine and chamber combined Ammunition propelling more than one projectile at a single discharge (such as buckshot) Full hard metal case projectiles Fully automatic firearms Any sighting device that casts a beam of light on the game Electronic calls or electronically activated calls Portions

You can't use a 30 round magazine for hunting. So why sell them and say it is for hunting?

And I think the total number of licences for hunting is flawed because they give out 1 or 2 free licences to anybody who owns a large enough piece of land. The total number of deer shot was only about 25% of the total licences gave away or bought.

What about deer harvest? Of the 236,973 deer taken during the firearms deer season, 225,404, or 95 percent, were taken by resident hunters.

edit on 19-12-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

"You can't use a 30 round magazine for hunting."

Doesn't take more than one bullet to kill something technically, so why have a gun that has the ability to hold more than one bullet? Just because only 200k deer were shot doesn't mean that there were only that many hunters out on a single day. Any incident where there was even one gun gives a case in where someone could have been shot. Out of the 900k or so licenses given, 0 people were shot.

Still, the 30 round magazine is for rifles, not long guns.
No one is saying they use 30 round magazines for hunting, though I wouldn't doubt some people do.

The purpose of these 'large capacity' magazines is for the purpose of suppression, not killing.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
After a visit to cabela's tonight, I'm pretty sure the gun industry is behind these mass murders. They were selling weapons and over fist and crazed gun nuts were plunking down hundreds of dollars in ammo. I was the only there not buying something to kill someone with. Crazy. Scary.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove
reply to post by Carreau

But isn't the rapid rate of fire and magazine capacity the issue here. And from what I can tell the damage on impact due to the barrel length is greater than that from a hand gun.

What? Did you really just say that? That has to be the most laughable thing I have ever heard!

The damage has to do with the ammo by grains and caliber and how to effectively use the weapon.
edit on 19-12-2012 by ShadowMaster because: grammar failure I blame myself not public schools.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by kennylee
Timothy McVeigh killed 168 people including 19 children. Nobody outlawed fertilizer or diesel fuel and you can still rent box trucks.

I have a strong feeling that if suddenly guns were hard to come by, crazies would just use explosives instead.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by kennylee
Timothy McVeigh killed 168 people including 19 children. Nobody outlawed fertilizer or diesel fuel and you can still rent box trucks.

I have a strong feeling that if suddenly guns were hard to come by, crazies would just use explosives instead.
humans have been killing each other long before guns were ever invented. And animals have been killing each other way before humans were ever invented...

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
The NRA had to speak. They had to say something.

Shares in Smith & Wesson had started to fall.

Like most things in life its all about the money.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadeWolf

Bobby Joe?

I have many deer rifles, but that's not my name. Many many many of my friends have deer rifles, but strangely enough, none of their names are Bobby Joe. I think your racist generalisation of country folk just fell flat on it's face.

OT:
I stopped being a member of the NRA long ago, when it turned into an all out money machine. They were pestering me by calling my house, like a creditor, claiming that I owed them money. I don't owe them nothing! The NRA is not about protecting gun owners.....they are about raking in loads of ca$h for fear mongering gun owners. The second amendment is clear, I don't need the NRA. No more money to this buisness.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

What good is a right if you compromise it?

Things change.

Do you think if the founding fathers of the USA had Assault Weapons that can shoot in excess of 150 rounds a minute, they'd write the 2nd amendment word for word as it's shown on the constitution?

That depends. Were the founding fathers aware, in this scenario, that the military and law enforcement also had access to that same gun?

Me thinks you're kind of missing the point on this arrow.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

You're missing my point. The NRA don't actually want the people to have "assault weapons," all they care about protecting is their core right-wing hunting base commonly referred to as "fudds" in the gun community. They exist to protect the American traditional arms market, companies that wouldn't be harmed at all by another AWB. If they wanted to protect all gun owners, they'd be fighting hard on the ATF's "sporting purpose" test, and against the import bans on Russian and Chinese guns. But no, they cover for the junk Freedom Group builds because they get huge donations from the American hunting industry.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xen0m0rpH

Originally posted by JBA2848
reply to post by geocom

Looking at the link you have.

Methods prohibited (in use or in possession) Self-loading firearms with capacity of more than 11 cartridges in magazine and chamber combined Ammunition propelling more than one projectile at a single discharge (such as buckshot) Full hard metal case projectiles Fully automatic firearms Any sighting device that casts a beam of light on the game Electronic calls or electronically activated calls Portions

You can't use a 30 round magazine for hunting. So why sell them and say it is for hunting?

And I think the total number of licences for hunting is flawed because they give out 1 or 2 free licences to anybody who owns a large enough piece of land. The total number of deer shot was only about 25% of the total licences gave away or bought.

What about deer harvest? Of the 236,973 deer taken during the firearms deer season, 225,404, or 95 percent, were taken by resident hunters.

edit on 19-12-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

"You can't use a 30 round magazine for hunting."

Doesn't take more than one bullet to kill something technically, so why have a gun that has the ability to hold more than one bullet? Just because only 200k deer were shot doesn't mean that there were only that many hunters out on a single day. Any incident where there was even one gun gives a case in where someone could have been shot. Out of the 900k or so licenses given, 0 people were shot.

Still, the 30 round magazine is for rifles, not long guns.
No one is saying they use 30 round magazines for hunting, though I wouldn't doubt some people do.

The purpose of these 'large capacity' magazines is for the purpose of suppression, not killing.

Man oh man: 30 round mags are used all the time when hunting feral hogs. I bet there are even youtube vids to that effect. Much easier to take one or two 30 round mags than get dressed in some battle rattle to carry a box of ammo. Many times when dealing with hogs you do not come across one but a pod of 14 to 24? pick a number. I have been on all night hunts and only used 2 rounds out of a 30 round mag and conversely I have run out of ammo because I was stupid or lucky depending on how you want to look at it..

Pigs eat anything and everything they can catch or find. Omnivore to include the poor farmer who had a stroke or heart attack while feeding his domestic pigs. They are a terror to ground dwelling birds and their young.

I used to hunt with a 30.06 bolt action which was a fine weapon...I would rather use the AR for convenience, weight, ease of mounting different optics, and it's capacity to have self contained( via a magazine) ammo. But I actually shoot and hunt with one, so who am I?

I do not like killing anything but I will make an exception when dealing with flies, mosquitoes, and feral pigs

It would be nice if people actually had some knowledge of a subject before they profess to be an expert or make some blanket statement. Not picking on anyone so please don't get me wrong but because someone has not experienced something does not mean it has no use or it does not exist.

If you have gone to almost any gun range this last year look a who is shooting what...More women are shooting the AR because of the soft recoil and weight, not to mention all the guys who have finally tried the AR and decided it really is a good hunting rifle. Maybe if we painted them a wood or pink color and added flower decals the uninformed would not be so afraid of something they know very little about.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join