It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA: We're prepared "to help make sure this never happens again"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by geocom

oh ya at a distance sure. i was just pointing out the short range in an enclosed area.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by geocom

Longer barrels give the powder more time to work on propelling the bullet. For this reason longer barrels generally provide higher velocities, everything else being equal. However, the gas pressure behind the bullet diminishes as the bullet moves down the bore. Given a long enough barrel, there will eventually be a point in which the bore friction and air pressure in front of the bullet will equal the gas pressure behind it. At this point, the velocity of the bullet will start to decrease. The amount of loss is closely tied to the expansion ratio. As previously noted, the type and amount of powder, as well as the weight and bearing length of the bullet, also play a major part. Rifles with high expansion ratios (smaller calibers) tend to lose less velocity than rifles with low expansion ratios (larger calibers).

.223 is not a large enough round at that distance for the barrel length to affect velocity. I was trying to educate a person with little to no weapon knowledge, please lets not confuse him even more.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I hope the NRA comes out and pushes for armed and trained staff in all the schools. Gun control is not going to do any good at all. Crazy people will still get semi-automatics and still kill with them even if they are outlawed. Taking guns away from law abiding citizens who have the right to own them will only make for a mess.

Timothy McVeigh killed 168 people including 19 children. Nobody outlawed fertilizer or diesel fuel and you can still rent box trucks.

I think Mental Health needs to be dealt with first off and leave the guns alone. Guns are inanimate objects.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister

So some people actually use semi-automatic rifles for hunting? These people must be lousy shots.

So are you suggesting one must use a bolt action to hunt correctly?

If I can hit a person at 400 yards with my M4 I can hit a any game with it too, in fact pig hunting is super with a M4 and night scope.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

And kudos to you for taking the time to share your knowledge with everyone here including meit's always good to see and hear

And great job to the person asking the questions need more of that on this site nowadays

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
reply to post by cripmeister

What weapons do you use to hunt with?

In Sweden we use bolt action rifles, we are really concerned with tradition.

Originally posted by Xtrozero

So are you suggesting one must use a bolt action to hunt correctly?

Using a bolt action rifle is good sportsmanship I would say.
edit on 18/12/2012 by cripmeister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

You ever have a large pack of wild pigs weighting 150 to 400 pounds each coming at ya in Sweden, each one wanting to ripe you to peices?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kennylee

You should go try and buy a large amount of the stuff Timmy used. And then you can explain yourself to the feds when they show up. Fertilizer was changed after that. And any thing that has chemicals that can be used for a bomb is tracked and monitored.

Ammonium Nitrate Security Statutes and Regulations
www.dhs.gov...
edit on 18-12-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Does your bolt-action rifle hold more than 1 round? If it does than the only difference is that your weapon needs to be manually cycled as apposed to the weapon doing it for you. How does that difference make a semi auto user a worse shot that a bolt action user?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

CNN Breaking News

NRA, in its first statement after the Newtown shootings, says it is prepared "to help make sure this never happens again"

www.cnn.com

This could mean anything, seeing how their stand point means "more guns = more safety." One is less likely to shoot someone, if hundreds others around him/her are also armed.

However, this could mean a beginning of large talks.
It's the National Rifle Assosciation, not the National Assault Weapon Association.
edit on 18-12-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

NOW, they want to "help make sure this never happens again"? HOW SO? Shouldn't all that have been brought up, BEFORE they released those deadly weapons to the general public? NOW, they want to make sure it never happens again? Well.....it shouldn't have happened in the 1st place!!!

I have something else, inside of me...that is
What happened to the victims of Hurricane Sandy and that whole disaster? Have we just forgotten and moved on to the next topic at hand??? I understand how tragic this event is...but, Hurricane Sandy victims seem to have taken a back-seat. All eyes are focused in on "gun control"; and that problem is waaaaaaaaaay outta control.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Yes they basically rolled over like a pet dog on the 1994 AWB.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I'm all for for people being able to hunt and protect their families, but what do you need an assault rifle for?
To just shoot at the range? Or is there another use for them aside from mass murdering people?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrestonSpace
I'm all for for people being able to hunt and protect their families, but what do you need an assault rifle for?
To just shoot at the range? Or is there another use for them aside from mass murdering people?

Protecting your country from a tyrannical government, whether it be from the inside or through invasion by a foreign power.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by PrestonSpace

Just we are on the same level of terminology, what is YOUR definition of an "assault weapon"?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

I don't know much about guns but I think they are called semi automatic

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xen0m0rpH

Originally posted by PrestonSpace

Protecting your country from a tyrannical government, whether it be from the inside or through invasion by a foreign power.

That might be your reason and it's a good one but I don't think they are legal for that reason. In that case why not allow citizens rpg's and grenades?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

So by your definition ALL semi-autos are assault rifles. OK just so you know, military weapons have full auto setting. Meaning pull the trigger once and hold it down the weapon will continue to fire until empty. Almost all civilian rifles are SEMI auto, pull trigger once and 1 round is fired. Hunting rifles are semi auto and can hold several round. The weapon in question used by Lanza is a SEMI auto, just like a hunting rifle, it simply LOOKS like a military rifle, it is not a military rifle.

I hope you're not suggesting ALL semi-auto rifles should be banned.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

No I mean the guns that you hold your finger and bullets keep coming out.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

OK well Lanza didn't use a Full Auto he used a semi auto, and unless you have a FFL or a special license to own a Full auto it is illegal for a civilian to own one.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

You ever have a large pack of wild pigs weighting 150 to 400 pounds each coming at ya in Sweden, each one wanting to ripe you to peices?

Personally no never but we hunt wild boar here too.

Originally posted by Carreau

Does your bolt-action rifle hold more than 1 round? If it does than the only difference is that your weapon needs to be manually cycled as apposed to the weapon doing it for you. How does that difference make a semi auto user a worse shot that a bolt action user?

I don't own a rifle but the rifles used for hunting in Sweden typically hold more than one round. Manually cycling takes considerably longer and will put your aim off. Hunting with a bolt action rifle takes more skill in my opinion than hunting with a semi-automatic rifle.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join