It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time stopping without us noticing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Ever wonder if maybe time isn't one straight line? Maybe it's a strobe light, on and off, some periodic breaks. Maybe they last eons to an outside observer (other-dimensional/other-universal.) We just can't tell because our brains stops working when time stops, obviously. Wouldn't that be nuts if what you think took you ten seconds to write, really had a 5 million year time pause in it? I have no facts to back any of this up.

edit on 18-12-2012 by JackyMenace because: lols...

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I guess it depends in what dimension you are.

Normally for us here, time is unidirectional and doesn't stop.
But who knows in other dimensions, to have a timeless 5th-6th dimension doesn't sound that crazy even tough the concept of no time and infinity should be foreign and intangible to us.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JackyMenace

I'm sorry but, what about the Wright brothers?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
i noticed i just didnt want to say anything.. I look exactly the same now and have for the last 20 years not changed one bit. I eat anything I want anytime I want, I do anything I want, follow no diets, I smoke, drink, ect. The only thing I have noticed is I have a few grey hairs here and there. That is how I know time is standing still but time is still passing obviously.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I believe it to be very true in regards to time not being as we try to "theorise". For instance, in the Bible, they say "In the blink of an eye"...to our creator, it really is a blink of an eye (energy manifesting?), but to us, that very same "blink" can be be thousands or millions of years...

Keeping that in mind, I refuse to take on the false belief that our planet was created in 6 days. Time is as different as difference is percieved.

Another example for time, is we can have a nice lifespan averaging 70 - 100 years. We think that is pretty good. The May fly, unfortunately is effected by a different time. I think its lifespan is only several days. Yep, it is born, it reproduces, has its young in its "long" healthy lifespan. So, in a way, in a blink of our eye, the Mayfly has lived a long, full life.

So, I think we still have a very long time until we could really get it completely figured out exactly what time is really about...then again, by the "time" we figure it out, our very planet or existence may no longer be around.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Time stopping without us noticing

Yes.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
You guys aren't understanding, I don't think. Imagine hitting pause on a movie, everything stops. When you resume everything continues. If you were a person in that movie or "dimension," you would have no way of knowing what happened. Nobody ages different or anything like that.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by theMediator

We think it doesn't stop because we wouldn't notice it stopping. There is no way for us to observe ourselves if our brains cease to function in this paused moment.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I dunno, there's been handfuls of times where for a split second, I caught a lag in reality, a shutting down of all senses for an instant or so.

edit on 18-12-2012 by ProperlyErrant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ProperlyErrant

I guess that would be related to a sort of time wave. I think time is fluid like. I think gravity is fluid like as well. When you put an object in water and drop it, it will drag things down with it that are too close. The earth is moving through space (liquid like) and it pulls us in with negative pressure. Does that make sense? Could gravity just be negative pressure or displacement? Man, I need to take a physics class so I can explain myself better.
edit on 18-12-2012 by JackyMenace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Well, it's pretty well known that time is affected by gravitational fields, so maybe if you could get far away enough from all matter, time would cease, but we'd theoretically have to leave our bodies for that.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by triplereiki

If there is an almighty god, it would make sense for him to be able to stop time as we know it and do some crazy stuff. Creating the earth in a matter of days... Yeah, that's unbelievable.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DeReK DaRkLy

I'm not talking about warping time. Even when time is warped, it could be pausing with us. Maybe the whole universe that WE live in pauses frequently. The whole thing, regardless of where you are or how fast you are going.
Imagine a wave graph with time variables. Now cut it in half and move it apart from eachother. Nothing is active inside that universe to know what happened to it so even if it pauses a billion years it makes no difference.
Nothing but an outside force outside of the universe, time, or dimension can observe it though.
It's hard to explain because it's something unobservable and unverifiable.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
What happens in between the moments of your neurons firing? What is time and observation in between the "frames" of the story you are creating and watching in your head? Could one theoretically synchronize everyone's brains moment in between frames, and if you could, wouldn't that essentially be processed by everyone as.... nothing? You'd never notice? Something could be done, or possibly the moment elongated and no one would ever know.

The things I think about while waiting for the bus to arrive.
edit on 2012/12/18 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

The brain does not stop working. I had a personal experience which confirmed this.

There is no time. There is only here and now. Past and future exist in the here and now. We just don't perceive them.

Movement is an illusion.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

BINGO! That's what I'm talking about ::high five::

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ProperlyErrant

Maybe it has something to do with your brain.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I thought about this before, like maybe the universe is flashing in and out of existence for billions of years but to us it feels like seconds because we flash in and out with it.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Time is a mind created concept and illusion. There is only NOW and the concept of past and future, which combined, creates the illusion we call time, and the passing thereof.
edit on 18-12-2012 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Non-linear time or multidimensional time is being studied in physics now. Its one of the main fields of research I want to get into once I am out of undergrad. The same question the OP poses is one I have been thinking about for a long time, and certain multidimensional time geometries might explain certain phenomena in quantum mechanics.
edit on 18-12-2012 by halfmask because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join