It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti gunner here.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

Japan may have been successful in Banning guns but are you aware that guns helped to prevent a Japanese invasion on the US mainland. It was on the history channel and a reporter was talking with one of the generals from Japan and he cited this as the reason they never invaded the mainland. They knew most Americans had guns and they would not be able to defeat us.

I think you said it best when you say that we have different cultures. I think that accounts for a lot. In an article I read they say that the Japanese media makes murders out to be monsters and focuses more on the victimes. I bet most people cant even recall one victim from the most recent tragedy.

Also in the article one commenter says that the police in Japan do not perform autopsys to determine the cause of death. There a lot of difference betweeen countries. I agree that these tragedies are horrible. But lets put the blame where the blame is due. On the people doing the shooting. We dont blame the car when a drunk driver kills a family.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
here's an idea. How about they simply stop manufacturing them? That way, the price of existing guns will absolutely skyrocket, many would-be perps won't be able to afford them and violent crime would go down. Legitimate gun owners/nuts won't be affected and would only stand to gain by way of increase value on weapons they already own.

(btw - I simply pulled this idea out of my ass so please don't get your panties in a bunch)

edit on 18-12-2012 by TXRabbit because: (no reason given)

so if some of these guns and gun parts are manufactured in teh USA...... wouldn't we lose jobs... unemployment would rise and maybe just maybe that poverty might add to crime.

great idea

edit on 20-12-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thebel
Japan has been successful in banning the guns. Very strict gun control has almost eliminated gun-related homicides.

Only possible weapons japan citizens can get are the shotgun and air rifle, and even getting them is very hard. You have to take class and pass the written test. Then you have to take shooting range class. After that you have to pass mental test and drug test. Then they do extensive background check for any criminal record. And if you get the gun permit, you have to report police where you keep your weapons and ammo. Both must be locked in different places. Then you have to let police check your gun every year, and take class and tests every 3 years.

But don't know if it works in USA, since cultures are different. Murder rate in Japan is second-lowest in the World, only 0,5 homicides per 100 000 people yearly. This is 5,9 in USA.

True, it is extremely difficult to LEGALLY obtain guns in Japan.
Illegally, however it is no more difficult than it is to obtain them illegally in any other country.

<< 1   >>

join