It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama 'backs assault weapons ban'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

US President Barack Obama wants to reinstate an assault weapons ban in the wake of the mass killings in Newtown, Connecticut, his spokesman says. Jay Carney said the president was "actively supportive" of a Democratic senator's plan to introduce a bill on the first day of the next Congress. Mr Obama would also consider curbs on high-capacity ammunition and loopholes, Mr Carney said.

Source

Just saw it posted on the BBC, looked through forums and couldn't find anything so I thought I'd post it.
edit on 18/12/12 by SaltireWarrior because: (no reason given)

I applaud Obama on this. Whatever your views on guns and gun control, millitary grade weapons are not needed and if you are buying one, your sole purpose is to cause absolute death and devastation.

These are not needed for hunting.

Victory for common sense!
edit on 18/12/12 by SaltireWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Just like the one in CT, right?

I wonder why that seems to escape these politicians.

CT has an AWB. The rifle was AWB compliant. This happened anyway.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Just like the one in CT, right?

I wonder why that seems to escape these politicians.

CT has an AWB. The rifle was AWB compliant. This happened anyway.

This I did not know. This woman was well off and apparently went shooting with an ex NY city police officer. She'd probably be exempt.

She needed a good gun safe.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaltireWarrior

These are not needed for hunting.

They are not owned for hunting. That's what hunting rifles are for. They are for defending freedom. Stop parroting the propaganda.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
If Obama wants this so bad, then he can disarm all of his protection detail and gov officers............since by banning them ,the guns will be off the streets.....

Dont sit there and tell me that I dont have to right to protect myself, all while your armed guards are standing next to you......that goes for every gov official in favor of this

If he has a right to have the armament to protect himself and his family , then so does every other American

Im sorry but is the gov the only ones allowed to have guns? The assumption that the gov is the good guy and are allowed to have guns, and were the bad guys , is one im not comfortable with...

Obama and his administration are playing on the fact that the majority of people who dont own guns, wont know the difference between an actual assault rifle, and a modified hunting rifle..........

This in turn will end up as a mass grab for all rifles that even LOOK like assault rifles......and if you think its gonna stop at rifles you are dead wrong........

I can take my .308 and remove the stock and put on a different one with a rail system and its still the same gun, it just looks like an assault rifle.........and all the anti gun crowd would call me a crazy man with an assault rifle.......

All gun owners and pro 2nd amendment people know exactly where hes trying to go with this........

With all your failed policies mr. Obama.........the direction this country is going, the debt, increased welfare, the lack of help with the tragedy that Sandy was under your watch, people w out jobs........and increasing power grabs by your administration........

This..........this is a very very very bad idea Mr.President......

And to everyone else out there......listen to me, and believe these words.......IF you let these people start to take our weapons, whether you agree with guns or not......you will see YOUR rights taken in rapid succession.....you think its rough now? You think they wont come for your rights next?

And you will have nothing to stop them...........your vote, and your voice, will not matter

edit on 18-12-2012 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The 2nd Amendment.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

en.wikipedia.org...

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state.

And

The right of the people to keep and bear arms

We can't secure a free state if it is the state that determines what we may get to have.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SaltireWarrior

Actually...when I owned an AR-15, I found it very useful for Hog hunting. The Conservation Officer I talked to at the fair this summer preferred an SKS, but outside cleaning the filthy thing (literally) I preferred the accuracy...

The Camp Perry shooting competitions have M-16 .223 rifles out at 1200 yards. I'd say their value as a rifle for hunting is self evident in the states that don't restrict it by caliber for a given type of game.

(Hogs are extremely destructive things that are a menace and breeding out of control in much of the U.S. for those who aren't from here. Many states consider them open season, year around and shoot on sight. Take with or leave where they lay.....as long as they're dead, the state is happy. )

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by 5K3P7IC41

She wasnt exempt from anything. She had an AWB compliant AR.

I know non-gun folks are ignorant of gun things. I'm ignorant of lots of stuff I dont personally take interest in.

But seeing all this calling for an AWB because of what happened in a state with an AWB is driving me up the damn wall.

CT, NY, NJ, CA, MA all have AWB's. When the Clinton Federal level AWB expired these states opted to continue it.

The only differences between this womans AWB compliant AR and a non-compliant AR is her's doesnt have a bayonet lug and the flash hider or muzzle break is welded on.

Using an incident involving an AWB compliant AR in a state with an AWB to push for an AWB is the most insanely stupid thing I've ever heard being done yet somehow that moronic logic has gained more traction than past events.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
They aren't loopholes they are legal parts of the law that dems cant get over. People are allowed to privately sell firearms, the government does need its grubby hand in every damned cookie jar.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

She wasnt exempt from anything. She had an AWB compliant AR.

I know non-gun folks are ignorant of gun things. I'm ignorant of lots of stuff I dont personally take interest in.

But seeing all this calling for an AWB because of what happened in a state with an AWB is driving me up the damn wall.

CT, NY, NJ, CA, MA all have AWB's. When the Clinton Federal level AWB expired these states opted to continue it.

The only differences between this womans AWB compliant AR and a non-compliant AR is her's doesnt have a bayonet lug and the flash hider or muzzle break is welded on.

Using an incident involving an AWB compliant AR in a state with an AWB to push for an AWB is the most insanely stupid thing I've ever heard being done yet somehow that moronic logic has gained more traction than past events.

Yeah, just read an article about it here.

Hartford Courant: In State With 'Assault Weapons' Ban, Lanza's Rifle Still Legal

Apparently CT even modeled their ban off the 1994 Federal ban.

You won't hear CNN report that I'd wager.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Great find.

It's unfortunate that so many people have such strong opinions regarding things they know very little or even nothing about.

I'd say education is the answer but when the goal is just to outlaw guns, any guns for any reason, there is no foundation from which to begin educating.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Assault rifles can be used for hog hunting and plenty other things than just "devastation" !!

I just purchased an assault rifle just a few minutes ago, and every store was almost sold out. A bunch of crazy people whose sole purpose of "devastation" certainly weren't the ones out there clearing off the shelves. They were the people who believe in freedom and don't count on the government to protect their families from harm.

I was pretty annoyed that the store "red flagged" me and gave me a hard time about purchasing the gun, as I am a young female. My husband was with me, and I guess they thought I was purchasing it for him. Once I showed them I wasn't lying about having a concealed handgun license, they stopped being rude to me. I'm glad I have it now because cheaperthandirt.com has already stopped selling guns all together, no matter the type. Our nation seems to be changing very quickly, and personally, I'd rather be prepared for something and have my guns at my side instead of being helpless.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

The US Constitution does not guarantee the right to bear arms so we can go hunting. That 2nd is in place specifically to enable citizenry to defend themselves against oppression by their government. Hunting has zero to do with why we have this right.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
We have grown up in 2 very different cultures. I can't understand Americas love of guns, you guys can't understand our hatred of them.

Honest question, how do you guys feel safe walking down the street knowing that some guy could have an assault rifle and snap at any moment? Like seriously, how do you feel safe?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

We have grown up in 2 very different cultures. I can't understand Americas love of guns, you guys can't understand our hatred of them.

Honest question, how do you guys feel safe walking down the street knowing that some guy could have an assault rifle and snap at any moment? Like seriously, how do you feel safe?

I feel safe because I have the right to carry a handgun, and I always do.

Yeah it may not hold as many rounds, but I certainly have more of a "chance" than the next guy with a hatred/fear of guns who doesn't carry one himself.
edit on 18-12-2012 by fictitious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

we feel safe because depending on what state we live in we too can carry an "assault" weapon with us incase some crazy person goes nuts or a robber tries to rob us etc that is why we are not scared or at least not as scared as you seem to be by an armed society

god created all men sam colt made them equal:which in gun speak is basicly does not matter the size or gender of the person attacking you if you have a gun you have an equal chance of surviving

and one of my favorite internet piture thingys(meme?) i.imgur.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

How dont I?

Seriously, the chances that would ever happen are ridiculously slim.

If Im out walking down the street I can think of at least fifty other events that could cause injury or death that are far more likely to happen.

And I dont worry about any of them because even the most likely one of those events is still very unlikely to happen.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by fictitious

Ah so people carry guns out of a kind of "fear" ... So could it not be argued that lessening the number of guns in circulation would mean leans guns in peoples possession which would mean less people carrying guns resulting in less death?

Love that quote in your signanture.

link   

Originally posted by fictitious

I feel safe because I have the right to carry a handgun, and I always do.

Yeah it may not hold as many rounds, but I certainly have more of a "chance" than the next guy with a hatred/fear of guns who doesn't carry one himself.
edit on 18-12-2012 by fictitious because: (no reason given)

Amen, sister. I don't carry a weapon, but I feel very safe here in Texas, because a lot of law-abiding people do.

As far as somebody walking around carrying an assault rifle, I think it would be pretty obvious what was in his hands.

Out here in west Texas, even the old ladies carry handguns, and they know how to use them, too. I feel much safer out here than I would in say, California or New York.

link   

Because most of us are sane,and we are a bit braver when it comes to guns.
And I am an expert marksman as well as a war vet.If I can I will thwart anything like that I see. I am legion here.
If you want to walk in fear, stay home,I prefer to walk point.I smile to all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join