It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arkansas Police Chief Claims Crime Stats are Probable Cause to Shakedown All Pedestrians for ID

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Searched the exact title of the article...nada.

And many said it would never happen.

Well, it is happening and will continue to increase. That's it. And if you think it's going to stop here, well I truly hope you're right.

"Arkansas Police Chief Claims Crime Stats are Probable Cause to Shakedown All Pedestrians for ID
www.activistpost.com...

'To ask you for your ID, I have to have a reason,' he said. 'Well, I've got statistical reasons that say I've got a lot of crime right now, which gives me probable cause to ask what you're doing out. Then when I add that people are scared...then that gives us even more [reason] to ask why are you here and what are you doing in this area.'

Armed task force to patrol streets
www.paragoulddailypress.com...

"[Police are] going to be in SWAT gear and have AR-15s around their neck," Stovall said. "If you're out walking, we're going to stop you, ask why you're out walking, check for your ID."

Getting more and more like the walls are closing in isn't it?

Official :Statement:

Once an area has been identified as a high crime neighborhood, the select group of officers will saturate the area in an attempt to curb the criminal behavior that is plaguing that particular neighborhood. Officers will accomplish this in a variety of different methods. Officers will be working to identify residents in the affected area so that we can better serve our affected neighborhoods. Most often, this identification process will be nothing more than making contact with a subject, handing them a business card, and asking if they live in the area and if there's anything we can do for them. During hours in which crime seems to be more prevalent (i.e. between the hours of 11pm and 5 am), our process will become more stringent. We will be asking for picture identification. We will be ascertaining where the subject lives and what they are doing in the area. We will be keeping a record of those we contact....

Take care.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Well, let's just hope they stop someone that knows their rights, and can afford a lawyer.
Why isn't the ACLU all over this?

Why would anyone think this is OK? Oh right, the police are just trying to protect us.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
A 'stop and talk' does not require probable cause, it requires 'reasonable suspicion ',
to actually 'frisk' (over the clothing pat down for weapons), requires probable cause.

I would be hoping they stop me. Then I would ask them if they have sufficient reasonable suspicion for a 'Terry Stop' (Ohio vs. Terry), to dispel their fears that- I have, or I am now, or I am about to commit a crime.

If after I dispel their fears that I'm not about to commit a crime I should be free to go. If they want to detain me longer than is 'reasonably necessary' without probably cause to charge me with a crime. I'll be calling my attorney.

So just play it cool and let them make the mistakes.

(Unless they have an official curfew in place, then you better stay home and order out.)

edit on 18-12-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I would give him the same response i gave
the last cop that asked me what i was doing
out,
"None of your @#$ business" He was not to
happy about that, but there was not much he
could do.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I'm sure that idiot Police Chief will be informed of the error of his thinking sooner rather than later. What a tool, and anyone who supports this kind of program is truly lost.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malynn
I'm sure that idiot Police Chief will be informed of the error of his thinking sooner rather than later. What a tool, and anyone who supports this kind of program is truly lost.

Paying out on a few law suits should give City Counsel a major wake up call.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Sound like yet another version of "stop and frisk".

Bloomberg is being sued over his contempt for civil rights. Lets hope that the rest of the US will also resist.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
Well, let's just hope they stop someone that knows their rights, and can afford a lawyer.

Why would anyone think this is OK? Oh right, the police are just trying to protect us.
Lets hope not, that poor person is likely to get their brains splattered all over the place.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Just getting citizens used to seeing armed to the hilt cops on the streets. And all of this for a population of 25,000.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody needs a better police Chief and police department.

The AR-15 and police work is nothing new. Our Street Crimes Unit will not be wearing them constantly. That would be impractical. As we have stated in our meetings, our main purpose of mentioning this was to prepare our residents in the event that they saw an officer armed with one. When our officers deploy into areas where there is the potential for contacting several subjects in a high-crime area, that is when the potential deployment of AR-15's will occur.

www.paragouldpolice.org...

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic

Originally posted by chiefsmom

Lets hope not, that poor person is likely to get their brains splattered all over the place.

You have a point here. And no telling what the justification would end up being.

Peace

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere
reply to post by jude11

Sound like yet another version of "stop and frisk".

Bloomberg is being sued over his contempt for civil rights. Lets hope that the rest of the US will also resist.

The only problem with this is that the rich can keep the poor in court long enough to wear them down. Usually through the pocket book.

Peace

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Well, if that's how they want to act, all I have to say is, the citizens of that area should be prepared, and take a stand NOW. How? Simple. Walk around, with no ID. No reason, no destination, just go out walking. We are NOT required to carry identification to walk down the street (yet). Nor are we required to report our destinations, plans, and so forth to the police.

COP: Excuse me, sir, but I need to see your identification.
MAN: I don't need to carry identification to take a walk.
COP: Who are you, and what are you doing here?
MAN: I am a United States citizen, and I am walking down this street.
COP: But where are you going, and why are you here? I need to know your name, sir.
MAN: Actually, you don't. I am not committing a crime, nor am I doing anything suspicious. I don't have to have a reason to walk down a public street, and I don't have to explain my totally legal actions to you or anyone else.

Of course, you would want a camera for this, because you just know that it will escalate in many cases. The person would have to know, 100%, the letter of the law, and be sure not to cross any lines.

I want to know another thing, too. Since the police most places don't even have the manpower to properly investigate burglaries and the like, how are they going to justify this blatant harassment? They can't protect us, and we are told that isn't their job, but they can harass us?

Stand up for your rights, or lose them.

new topics

top topics

join