Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Guns and The USA's Constitution: A Proposal

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
As an outsider looking in I can only express my deepest condolences at the appallying loss of so many young innocent lives in the space of a few minutes. A henious crime no matter what the circumstances are. In many countries such as mine in the UK guns are banned. I have never held a gun in my hand in my life, nor am i ever likely to, unless i bought a farm and it was used for farming purposes.

Now, i am aware the second ammendment has famously given US citizens the right to bear arms. Personally I dont see any justification for it to be honest but thats my personal opinion. However given that the second amendment is out there and guns and ownership of guns is something that should be debated over. I have given this some thought. How about every town, every residential area have gun storage depos? Everyone volunteers to hand in their guns, rifles etc and they are held in storage under lock and key. If God forbid there is a national emergency, then people can go and get their guns out. I have in mind a Gun Bank. Like we can go into the bank and withdraw money, then guns should also be held and withdrawn on licence with a credit card style card or something.

That way both the Gun Lobby which now has the blood of 20 innocent children on their hands and those wanting a ban on guns are both appeased.

Thoughts anyone? Would this work? Can this be a compromise or something that can be worked on and improved etc?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

So when some meth head breaks into my home at 2:00am, I am supposed to run down to the gun bank and have him wait a few minutes?

Or when a disaster hits, and the threat of looting is very real, I am supposed to trust the authorities will allow me access to the gun bank ... they were confiscating during Katrina in case anyone forgot.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Here is my proposal:

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Here is my reply. All of you foriegn people need to but out of the US's business. Yes my government sticks its nose everywhere, I don't agree with that. The average American doesn't go poking around in other country's business/problems. Leave the American citizen alone and quit trying to sway thier opinion to meet yours.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Will a burglar, robber, rapist or assorted scum who believes they need what I own more than I do give me the time and opportunity to rush down to the weapons locker and get my weapon checked out and loaded?

This is quite literally what the situation WAS, by the way, at Fort Hood. If you think about it. You had a hall full of trained soldiers and/or combat vets more than capable and trust worthy of having full automatic weapons under their judgement and that of one guy in command above them in other circumstances.

Yet...all weapons on domestic bases are locked up outside the Military Police as I understand it. So the one nutjob literally had a turkey shoot in a room full of what should have been the absolute worst idea imaginable for a place to start shooting. I think I'll trust my weapons in my direct control for the primary purposes I have them.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

No. And the 'gun lobby' doesn't have 'blood on its hands'. In what reality does a mother with what she described as an 'out-of-control' child who has exhibited serious mental health issues his entire life allow that child access to guns? That's beyond insane. While everyone is focused on the ridiculous notion that more gun laws would stop this insanity they seem to overlook that had she exhibited even basic common sense and secured her guns and perhaps gotten her kid the kind of mental health support she openly admitted he needed this could have been avoided. If this blood is on anyone's hands besides the shooters it is squarely on the mother.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Get the criminals off the street and start treating the mentally ill would be my proposal.

Peace

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wirral Bagpuss
Everyone volunteers to hand in their guns, rifles etc and they are held in storage under lock and key. If God forbid there is a national emergency, then people can go and get their guns out. I have in mind a Gun Bank. Like we can go into the bank and withdraw money, then guns should also be held and withdrawn on licence with a credit card style card or something.

Why can't you people just accept that the fact that evil exists and is often in the form of the government. How many HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of people have to die for you to understand this. You hem and haw over 20 children and pass a blind eye to hundreds of thousands of children murdered by governments.

You lost already, you have no vote. You are a subject to your royals and have the illusion of a free government but when push comes to shove you lose.
edit on 12/18/2012 by ararisq because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I'd recalled this video but really had to hunt for it. It's another way of saying....a gun that isn't accessible is a completely worthless one.

In other nations where criminals don't wantonly and casually murder the victims as a routine course of crime ....it may be a radically different situation you imagine happening. In the United States? Many confrontations are only the bad guy's attitude away from being deadly to the victim. Without a gun, that is the only thing a victim has...hope in a good attitude. That's too often not the end result.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

What a stupid idea!
A criminal breaking into your home will allow you to go to the bank....well the bank where you withdraw your money as he/she clears your atm...I guess would be ok.
I guess you never heard of a bank holiday.

Still trusting banks...

No really, what an idiotic idea.
I got a much better idea, I continue to be a law abiding constitution loving fellow man and you feel free to be as scared as you want.
I have the high ground, my natural rights and the constitution.
I don't need or feel the need to bargain that away.
Trust the banks...

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

So when some meth head breaks into my home at 2:00am, I am supposed to run down to the gun bank and have him wait a few minutes?

Or when a disaster hits, and the threat of looting is very real, I am supposed to trust the authorities will allow me access to the gun bank ... they were confiscating during Katrina in case anyone forgot.

As i have stated, I do not support guns in society. One of my greatest fears is being burgled in my own home. I have more reason to worry than would normally be expected. I am deaf. I cant hear intruders break in. I would have very little time to defend myself anyway. I would probably use my bedside lamp or something. Here in the UK we have no guns. We have coped for the most part pretty well.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockledr
Here is my reply. All of you foriegn people need to but out of the US's business. Yes my government sticks its nose everywhere, I don't agree with that. The average American doesn't go poking around in other country's business/problems. Leave the American citizen alone and quit trying to sway thier opinion to meet yours.

Normally i would agree. However this tradgedy has hit the global headlines and as the USA is a leading superpower or likes to be that way, what happens in your country affects the rest of the world.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508

No. And the 'gun lobby' doesn't have 'blood on its hands'. In what reality does a mother with what she described as an 'out-of-control' child who has exhibited serious mental health issues his entire life allow that child access to guns? That's beyond insane. While everyone is focused on the ridiculous notion that more gun laws would stop this insanity they seem to overlook that had she exhibited even basic common sense and secured her guns and perhaps gotten her kid the kind of mental health support she openly admitted he needed this could have been avoided. If this blood is on anyone's hands besides the shooters it is squarely on the mother.

I beg to differ. Stop demonising mentally ill people. They dont all go round killing people. Guns are made to kill people. The Gun Lobby has pulled millions of pounds into their cause. They know they are guilty, why are they not taking calls from the press on their views on the horrendous crime of last week. Simply put there is no excuse for the killing of innocent children.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Get the criminals off the street and start treating the mentally ill would be my proposal.

Peace

Again stop demonising the mentally ill. Not all mentally ill people go round killing people with guns. As to criminals all nations have a police force to deal with the criminals in society. Sadly there will always be crime until the end of time.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Again stop demonising the mentally ill.

Reading Comprehension 101 or Putting words into my mouth 101. Either way it is a fail. It is a fact that America has neglected the mentally ill and some recent shooting sprees as well as other incidents have helped to highlight that. Now we can either start addressing the lack of support the mentally ill receive and how it could grow into a bigger problem for society or we can keep proposing gun banks.

Go figure!!!! I never said ALL mentally ill go around shooting people.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I beg to differ. Stop demonising mentally ill people. They dont all go round killing people. Guns are made to kill people. The Gun Lobby has pulled millions of pounds into their cause. They know they are guilty, why are they not taking calls from the press on their views on the horrendous crime of last week. Simply put there is no excuse for the killing of innocent children.

Nobody is demonizing mentally ill people, but you gotta admit, no sane person goes in , guns blazing, shooting innocent people.

Guns are made for killing, there is no argument there, but typically most Americans own guns that are more for hunting purposes than actual man-killers. A handgun is a mankiller. A rifle or shotgun is an animal killer.

A mentally deranged person will use whatever is at their disposal to commit a heinous act, if they have a mind to.

In America, guns are part of our culture. This current spate of mass shootings seems to be ramping up, which tells me that something's afoot. Whether that something is that people who need mental help aren't getting it and are taking it out on the world, or whether these are orchestrated killings in order to achieve the desired goal of disarming the American populace remains to be seen.

The UK (and by that I mean England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales) is but a small country with a small population. Easily controlled, and most are within citiy limits

The USA is a very large country, with many country-dwelling people, such as myself. Our shotgun and rifle are necessary, not just for dealing with critters such as rattlesnakes and coyotes, but also self-protection against intruders. We're 13 miles from the nearest small town, it would take over 20 minutes for the cops to get here....there's no way in hades we're giving up our weapons.

To extrapolate how the disarmament of the UK would benefit the USA is apples and oranges, my friend.

We might as well ban automobiles and alcohol and cigarettes. Those kill way more people per year than guns ever will. Guns are made for killing, yes...but it is a killer who aims it at somebody and pulls the trigger. Let's not forget that.

edit on 18-12-2012 by FissionSurplus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
How about a ten five-year ban on all civilian guns with the exception for hunting. Mandatory jail time for offenders and put them in GEO Group's privatized prisons to keep wall street happy instead of pot smokers. Use that money to dump into the mental health system while continuous monitoring the stats on gun related homicides. All the while, begin reverse engineering of the American system to debug where and what went wrong.

new topics

top topics

join