It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do church goers prep?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Was talking to guy at work today about end of the world being this friday and got to thinking, Do church goers prep? Im not religious at all so i may be mistaken on a point or two but isn't god supposed to take his faithful and leave the rest to suffer? If so why would any one that believes in god want to survive the initial apocalypse? I understand prepping for other various reasons besides the final apocalypse,but do any of our religious people here prep with the end in mind? If the end brought earthquakes and devastating weather, war wouldn't that all fall under gods will, and if he is calling for you you should go right? Does prepping at all show lost faith for your savior? If you do prep that signify that you don't have complete faith would it not?

Like i said im not a very religious person but i would think if it was the end and gods hand came to take us why would we hide? if we did hide would we be doomed to hell for missing the first flight to heaven? Or would god give us a pass? Would preping in its self be a sign of no faith in god? yours supposed to follow blindly right? so would you instantly be screwed?

For the atheist if you don't believe in god and the end times come you obviously wont be saved from suffering so why would you hide in a cave or shelter because your going to be left to suffer anyways? I would stand in the middle of it all in awe of the hand of god and also be pretty pissed at myself for not getting in the pearly gates.

Well thats my random thought of the day, what say you ats, sorry to members of other faiths I hardly know anything about the bible or Christianity let alone other faiths, if your word of god as similar ending what is your perspective?
edit on 18-12-2012 by DIRTYDONKEY because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
The mormons are probably the biggest preppers in the world.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Some do because they feel like its protecting their family from things that could happen but some don't because they feel like if their god is calling for them there is nothing they can or should do to try to keep him from taking them home.. It really depends on the person but I would say out of anyone church goers would be prepping more then most people.

All of these people on that show preppers I always see they are church types and mention god and stuff, the one on the latest one he was a jewish guy and said that he was doing it to protect his family..

I prep because prepping enables me to be more self sufficient its not really because i think anything will happen but if it did I don't want to have to be worried about it. Although because of money I am no where near where I would want to be and if shtf this friday I would probably not last to long although since where I live I think would pull together as a community well that gives me more chances and I do have the ability to hunt/fish for food at least.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DIRTYDONKEY

The only prep Church goers are doing (except maybe a small fringe group of not-so-stable folks) is adding extra Prayers and repenting more than usual, if any change at all....

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Thanks for the responses I'm not against prepping it just kinda mind fudged me for a min if you were seriously religious would it not be hypocritical? I'm not religious so for me protecting my family is my main concern but how to church goers justify it?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
No point.
The "apocalypse any moment" frame of mind that people have got themselves into is not justified by what the Bible says about things.
The dramatic events described in Revelation are not random acts of destructiveness for the sake of being destructive. There's a background situation- a world-dominating regime persecuting the church- and the events are God's response to that.
But we are nowhere near that situation. So the tense expectation of apocalypse is completely misplaced.
The only useful "preparation" that a Christian can make is getting on good terms with God.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Op, I find your title to be rather condescending, but I will answer anyway.

Christians are supposed to take care of their families. Since we do not know when our Savior will return or when the Rapture might take place, we plan for the future on the material aspect but trust our Savior in all things. No where in the Bible does it tell believers to sit on their bums and wait for God to protect, provide, etc.

I know from experience that the Lord answers prayers and provides for our needs. But that does not necessarily extend to our wants.

If the Rapture occurs on 12/21/12 all well and good, I'll be having dinner with my God. If not, then I will continue in faith doing the things he requires me to do.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I guess i just must have watched one to many youtube videos. Those people would argue that all the signs have come about, and that this would be gods return, i forget not all religious people are waiting for gods wrath, or fanatical. Thanks for level headed responses.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by godlover25

The only prep Church goers are doing (except maybe a small fringe group of not-so-stable folks) is adding extra Prayers and repenting more than usual, if any change at all....

thank you, I guess I need to stop throwing church goers all under one crazy umbrella, Apparently the "no so stable ones" are just the loudest.

I have been to church a time or two and actually got baptized at a Pentecostal church when i was 18 or so, when i was trying to turn my life around with the help of a women, but those people scared me so I ran. and the christian churches i have attended seemed to much like a cult. So when you hear the crazy people out yelling i kinda just assumed they were all the same. Ignorant i know.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Nope. I watched my Dad whiz away money and energy doing the survivalist thing in the 1970s and I have no interest in doing the same. I have food and water in reasonable amounts that I rotate out, so I'm good for a week or so, but beyond that... meh.

As I wrote in another thread, I've been laughing at people I hear on the radio who say that they're stockpiling supplies ahead of the "end of the world" on Friday... if the world isn't going to be here, what's three months worth of Ramen and canned green beans going to do for you? Think you can take it with you?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I'm a Christian. I prep.

1. I think the Mayan calendar's "due date" is irrelevant to my life.

2. You could experience your own personal end, without it being "THE APOCALYPSE." A boat-load of people experienced their own personal apocalypses a hundred years ago, when the ocean liner Titanic hit an iceberg and sank. A little bit of prepping could (and probably did) save some of the survivors. Bad things happen every day, but it isn't the end of the world---Jesus said that, in Mark 13:7

3. As far as the idea that God's chosen will miraculously avoid the anguish of "The Tribulation," it all depends on how you interpret it. "Pre-trib" believers are the ones who think Christians will all be taken away without experiencing any hell-on-earth. "Mid-trib" enthusiasts cite scripture to believe that Christians will experience some, but not all, of the end of the world, before being whisked away to heaven. "Post-tribbers" believe that the Christians will experience every nasty moment of THE END, right alongside their unbelieving neighbors. I'm a post-trib Christian.

4. My faith doesn't particularly inform my prepping, other than by passively influencing some of my world-view. A much greater influence on my prepping is that my grandfather fled his fatherland because he could see where things were headed. He believed a person should always be prepared to leave, just in case the Russians invade. Again.

5. The bulk of my prepping is for purely personal disasters: a house fire. Being robbed at gunpoint. A tornado touching down here. The power going out. That sort of thing.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DIRTYDONKEY
Was talking to guy at work today about end of the world being this friday and got to thinking, Do church goers prep? Im not religious at all so i may be mistaken on a point or two but isn't god supposed to take his faithful and leave the rest to suffer? If so why would any one that believes in god want to survive the initial apocalypse? I understand prepping for other various reasons besides the final apocalypse,but do any of our religious people here prep with the end in mind? If the end brought earthquakes and devastating weather, war wouldn't that all fall under gods will, and if he is calling for you you should go right? Does prepping at all show lost faith for your savior? If you do prep that signify that you don't have complete faith would it not?

Like i said im not a very religious person but i would think if it was the end and gods hand came to take us why would we hide? if we did hide would we be doomed to hell for missing the first flight to heaven? Or would god give us a pass? Would preping in its self be a sign of no faith in god? yours supposed to follow blindly right? so would you instantly be screwed?

For the atheist if you don't believe in god and the end times come you obviously wont be saved from suffering so why would you hide in a cave or shelter because your going to be left to suffer anyways? I would stand in the middle of it all in awe of the hand of god and also be pretty pissed at myself for not getting in the pearly gates.

Well thats my random thought of the day, what say you ats, sorry to members of other faiths I hardly know anything about the bible or Christianity let alone other faiths, if your word of god as similar ending what is your perspective?

I believe that church synagogue lodge ecclesia whatever they want to call their Legion OUGHT to prepare, not just with food and water but in all things but most especially in that which is invisible, the heart mind soul and spirit.
Luke 21:36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

Will these "preppers" be WORTHY to escape? ACCOUNTED, is a word that defies impunity.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wonders

I believe that church synagogue lodge ecclesia whatever they want to call their Legion OUGHT to prepare, not just with food and water but in all things but most especially in that which is invisible, the heart mind soul and spirit.
Luke 21:36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

Will these "preppers" be WORTHY to escape? ACCOUNTED, is a word that defies impunity.

If you really want to put it under a microscope and you believe in what the good book tells you then you wouldnt listen to rumors. God said there will be signs and wars and rumors of wars. But even then, it will not be the end.
I will also add, Matthew 24:36 No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father....as for me, i will stand with God.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Thank you for amending your title to this thread.

Pray to find a church with good people and one that teaches sound doctrine.
The Christian path is easier and more enjoyable when traveling with other believers.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxAcidxBurnxX

Originally posted by Wonders

If you really want to put it under a microscope and you believe in what the good book tells you then you wouldnt listen to rumors. God said there will be signs and wars and rumors of wars. But even then, it will not be the end.
I will also add, Matthew 24:36 No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father....as for me, i will stand with God.

Who says that I think that the world is going to end on December 21? NOWHERE did I say that the world was going to end on that date! There is nothing wrong with BEING AWARE of what others are saying and pegging them as rumors, WATCH ye therefore. The thing is, there IS going to be something that people are going to want to escape from, that's inevitable. We don't know when Jesus is going to come back in the flesh, but we are supposed to be prepared for when he does.

top topics

join