It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Lockdown Procedures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
New York Lockdown

from Canada

www.citytv.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

Blame is being put everywhere following the tragedy at Sandy Hook.

But where my mind directly went as a parent was, "What would my child do?"

So i asked them ... I have two high school aged boys ... They tell me that since elementary school they've practiced these "lockdown" drills.

Sure the gunman is to blame. Maybe even the parenting. But what about 'lockdown' protocol?

The lockdown protocol instructs teachers to hoard their students into one corner of a wide open room and to remain still and silent until help arrives.

In most school shootings, help arrives, or rather ENTERS the building after the damage has been done.

I feel that this 'lockdown' procedure got 18 to 20 children killed at Sandy Hook, and nobody's even mentioning it.

Fish in a barrell for an armed madman.

These children did as they were told, and waited patiently on death to kick the door down.

We were told 'the teachers did all they could". Really?. What about shoving kids out of windows and telling them to zig zag for the hills?

Sure, there may have been a few that ran right into the arms of death, but 20 of them? I'd be willing to bet that at least some, if not half, if not ALL, could have gotten away with their lives.

What sense does it make to go into 'lockdown'?

In the event of an armed gunman on school grounds, or more accurately, in the LOBBY, the 'protocol' is to lock your children in with him.

Something has to be done about this. I'll be starting a local petition here in my county, but this isn't a county wide problem. It's a NATIONWIDE protocol that's been operating without question or scrutiny since 1999.

edit on 18-12-2012 by OneEleven because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Every school in my city has a cop in it, has for the last 10 years that ive been here.
As of Monday, my daughters middles school added two more cops, for a total of 3 cops on duty, spread out in different places.
These are real ISD cops, not renta cops or contractors.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
strange.

My original post was based on an article i read saying that one of the responding officers disagrees with the lockdown protocol, but now the link dosn't work and the article has vanished in a matter of minutes?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Do you live in a large city?
How does your city afford it?
Are they going to have to hire more cops?

Reason is I thought about this in my small-ish suburb and we don't have enough cops to put more than one...if that.....

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
The smaller the barrel the easier the fish are to shoot.

We dont want to make the assailant mad do we?

We have reps from the local PD coming tomorrow to talk to us about active shooter events and what to do.
I cant wait to see if it'll be a "cower in the corner until we come to identify your body" talk.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
What is also not mentioned is...

Where are the Men?

This kid was tiny.

Put the men back in all our schools.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
reply to post by Juggernog

Do you live in a large city?
How does your city afford it?
Are they going to have to hire more cops?

Reason is I thought about this in my small-ish suburb and we don't have enough cops to put more than one...if that.....

I live in a med sized city, about 300k.
I dont know where in the budget they are getting the funds.
the ISD cops are like a separate division from the normal PD but I dont know how it works as far as going back and forth.
Im assuming a regular cop can be assigned to the School force without delay, so they probably pulled in cops from their.
I am also, guessing that this is temporary, maybe a "peace of mind" type thing until the shock subsides.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
We do the lockdowns and it was explained to us that the goal is to not draw attention to yourself.

The cops didn't enter Columbine; they treated it like a hostage situation. Now, from what I understand, police procedure has changed. Apparently they will enter the building in SWAT style. So our best chance is to wait for help.

And what if there's a second shooter, waiting for students to start exiting the building?

Too many ifs in these scenarios. We can't cover them all. Maybe the procedures will change, maybe not.

new topics

top topics

join