It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ireland's New Abortion Law & Regulations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
edition.cnn.com...

In review for those who had not heard about this story: Last months a woman was denied medical treatment in Ireland to save her life because the fetus was still alive. Three days after she was denied treatment the fetus died and four days after that the mother died as well.

As some of you know in Ireland during the time of this incident, because of the powerful influence of Catholicism in Ireland. There was a lot of outrage that occurred following this, including demonstrations in Ireland.

So in a reaction to this terrible incident today the goverment of Ireland decided "to introduce a new law and regulations to clarify that abortions are permissible when the life --but not health -- of the mother is at risk."

Unfortunately, it will take a few months before this new law is finalized and I am sure we will hear outrage and uproar from Catholics and the Church on how terrible this new decision is. Personally, I think it is about time Ireland moved in this direction and began to push the Church out of their politics and influencing such decisions.

An interesting part of the new law and regulation in my opinion, is the part that it is permissible when the life is at risk but not when health is at risk. I think that could be a fine line at times, determining how bad one's healh could be affected, which could lead to death. I am interested in how the regulations will strictly put that in words to determine when an abortion is and isnt permissible.

In the end, I am glad Ireland is making this decision to start allowing abortions, however, I am saddened to see the reasons (a loss of a woman's life) that it took to make them make this decision.

What is everyone's thoughts? Is this a good move or not? Is it enough? Will it get finalized or will the Catholic Church's political influence destroy this in the coming moths?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Good for Ireland, still dont see why they dont just make abortion legal though. Im sure women who are against abortion wouldn't get one in the first place. And then there women who have their own minds who would have them, freedom of choice i say.

Just dont think their new law will be effective enough.
edit on 18-12-2012 by SearchLightsInc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by theUNKNOWNawaits

The reason that they clarify life but not health is because Planned Parenthood, Marie Stopes, etc. use it to say that women need abortion for mental health, because pregnancy and the monetary requirements of it is stressful. Ireland is a Catholic country, and they don't believe in abortion. In fact, there was a symposium a few months ago in which many Irish doctors signed a declaration that said that they didn't need abortion to treat their patients. Miscarriage is different than surgical abortion, as is the surgery for ectopic pregnancy, and early induction and other treatments used for other pregnancy complications. Abortion is not really needed.

The International Symposium on Excellence in Maternal Healthcare's Dublin Declaration on Maternal Healthcare states:

“As experienced practitioners and researchers in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, we affirm that direct abortion is not medically necessary to save the life of a woman.
We uphold that there is a fundamental difference between abortion, and necessary medical treatments that are carried out to save the life of the mother, even if such treatment results in the loss of life of her unborn child.
We confirm that the prohibition of abortion does not affect, in any way, the availability of optimal care to pregnant women.”

youthdefence.ie...
More quotes from Irish doctors can be found here:
www.youthdefence.ie...
www.youthdefence.ie...

Ireland has been proven to have the lowest maternal mortality in the world. The fact that this is true, plus the fact that the lowest maternal mortality in South America is in Chile, and in Africa is Mauritius, means that abortion is not needed to save women's lives. What are needed are education, health and medical care, and support by families and communities. Pregnancy needs to stop being a stigma. Pregnancy is not a disease, and it needs to stop being treated as such. Doctors should be treating what is actually wrong with the patient before jumping to abortion.
A comprehensive study from Chile released earlier this year: www.sciencedaily.com...

In all actuality, abortion can hurt women. People have used abortion to hurt women, including men, families, teachers, and physicians forcing women into abortion against their will. Many women who have even had abortions willingly have had health and psychological problems that stem from the abortions. Women have been killed or severely injured by abortion, even when it's legal.
See more here: www.abortionrisks.org...

Besides, Savita did not actually request an abortion, that was made up, and an abortion would only have hastened her death.
www.lifesitenews.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
Good for Ireland, still dont see why they dont just make abortion legal though. Im sure women who are against abortion wouldn't get one in the first place. And then there women who have their own minds who would have them, freedom of choice i say.

Just dont think their new law will be effective enough.
edit on 18-12-2012 by SearchLightsInc because: (no reason given)

Agreed. I am sure they have not made it legal still due to the Catholic Church's influence, which is very strong.
Very good point that women who are against it would not get one, however, Catholicism is dominant there and they would feel that it is sacrilegious to allow it.
I definitely concur that this is a step in the right direction, but its limitations may not make it too effective.

reply to post by MoonChild02

Thank you for sharing all of that information. Very convincing, interesting, and informative indeed. It does make a strong argument that it abortion is not needed.

However, with that being said I still feel that women deserve the freedom to choose abortion as an option if they want to or not. In my opinion, it is noone else's right to tell them what they should do. I know Ireland is a Catholic country, but that does not mean that there are not people there who do want this option. There are people there that do want abortion as an option, evident in the demonstrations that took place in Dublin. Honestly, the Church needs to stay out of politics and let the government and people decide what is best for themselves.

Either way, I am interested in seeing what occurs in the coming months as this begins to get finalized and put in to place.

top topics

join