Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Listen to this argument for more gun control and please tell me how you can be against it..

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I heard this on NPR's The World yesterday. This guy is talking cold, hard statistics - I honestly don't know how any sane person can listen to this and say "no, that's a bad idea". Please, tell me your counter argument.

It's about 5 mins:

www.theworld.org...

David Hemenway is at the Harvard School of Public Health.

He’s done a lot of research about gun ownership and violence around the globe — and on how the US compares with other industrialized nations.

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
How can I be against it?
Simple - it's infringing on my God given rights.
Those who want a New Constitution are welcome to secede and try a new Confederacy.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
How can I be against it?
Those who want a New Constitution are welcome to secede and try a new Confederacy.

That's really as plain and as simple as it gets right there.

Rights granted us by our Creator. Life doesn't get more basic for issues.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Dito.
What more is there to discuss?
If they don't like America they can get out IMO

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

You guys make it seem like God is up there firing off AK47s

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The right of the people to keep and bear arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

What part of that do you commies not understand?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by xEphon

no, just laughing at the silly humans who created a weapon meant to kill his creations.

the perfect means of controlling a population that has no natural enemy - find new, and interesting, ways to off each other with, or without, reason or provacation.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon

You guys make it seem like God is up there firing off AK47s

It's not about AK-47's...It's about a Bill of Rights that comes as a package or not at all. It's not a cafeteria in Constitution Hall. It's a take it or leave it as the whole thing. The 2nd is but 1 of 10 to the original core values...and it's not a negotiable one on any level to my thinking for many reasons I've explained many times over the last few days.

The God reference, in MY mind, is simply that the Constitution directly references and by that, a Creator. Sounds close enough for Government work.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

How can I be against it?

You can't prove God exists, let alone gave you any rights.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

exactly

I am really starting to get pissed at all these people from other countries getting all hyper and anxious over our gun rights. It actually sounds a little suspicious at this point.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Just because the propagandist is from harvard, it doesn't mean he's telling the truth. Anyone can skew numbers to fit their agenda. It's bullsh*t.

Why doesn't he talk about other statistics like suicide rates overall, not just by firearms? Suicide rates do not differ greatly between countries.

I'm not going to go into detail other than to say this is another hit piece on guns, nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
If we can limit guns, then we can limit the press.

No more CNN NBC mslsd abc.

Only fox will be allowed rights under the first amendment.

Sound good commies?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by humphreysjim

How can I be against it?

It's almost a cheap shot to say this, because you opened the door so wide.....but I absolutely can't resist pointing this out because it's also completely accurate to say.

Your point and your outlook there is precisely why my ancestors came to the new land which would become America and yours, apparently, remained in what is modern England. Then, as now....two very very different worldviews and outlooks on life in general.

One isn't necessarily better or worse. They are simply different and best not pushed to overlap where they just can't mix, IMO.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
If its ok for a country to accumulate arms to maintain peace - why wouldn't it be good for people as well?

Are you suggesting that the police should have a monopoly on self-defence?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by humphreysjim

Soon the question will be answered . Then it will be to late and so surreal . I would better for me to find out you are right . Than for you to find out God does exist and he is pissed at you . Soon!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonPeter

Soon the question will be answered . Then it will be to late and so surreal . I would better for me to find out you are right . Than for you to find out God does exist and he is pissed at you . Soon!

Depends which God turns out to be real, I suppose.

If it's Allah, you might want to worry. By the way, if I'm right, you'll never know, that's the safety net that allows the religious to believe silly things, the knowledge that no one will ever be able to hold them accountable for it.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Originally posted by humphreysjim

How can I be against it?

It's almost a cheap shot to say this, because you opened the door so wide.....but I absolutely can't resist pointing this out because it's also completely accurate to say.

Your point and your outlook there is precisely why my ancestors came to the new land which would become America and yours, apparently, remained in what is modern England. Then, as now....two very very different worldviews and outlooks on life in general.

One isn't necessarily better or worse. They are simply different and best not pushed to overlap where they just can't mix, IMO.

Are you saying you CAN prove god exists?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I wonder how many of the gun nuts screaming about their rights, supported voter ID.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I wonder how many of the gun nuts screaming about their rights, supported voter ID.

COnversely, I wonder how many anti-gun nuts, screaming about registration and bans, did not support voter ID.
edit on 18-12-2012 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Well, first, I'm Wiccan...not Christian. I look to the word Creator in the Constitution where others might rightly see God or Allah reflected there.

Having said that, I don't look upon Faith as the Constitution is based and to the extent I identify with it, as something requiring proof worthy of a court room. Some things, like core American values we can read in the document, I'll take on Faith alone to their divine inspiration. After all, inspiration is, by definition, a thing from within ourselves and simply drawing on outside influences. What is more American than that?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join