It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
In the United States, annual firearm homicides total
2008: 9,48410 7
In the United States, annual homicides by any means total
1999: 12,6586 7
1997: 18,2088 7
In the United States, annual suicides by any means total
I'm so tired of our society trying to put out serious fires by attacking the symptoms and not the disease.
Instead of all the idiotic blathering on Capitol Hill about restricting guns, I think a more appropriate discussion would be about expanding our mental health care system, and making it easier for a disturbed person to seek and get help.
Disarming the population is not the way to go. Assisting people in getting help if they find themselves going off the edge, is.
I agree with your conclusion, but you may be missing a point here. Those turning in their guns will be law-obedient citizens, who are not likely to be plotting any criminal activity with those guns anyway. So even if 99% of firearms are taken away, the remaining 1% will most probably remain in the hands of those who gonna use them one way or another. These 2700000 guns is still too big a figure and can eventually produce the same number of gun related crimes.
Originally posted by MajorMayhem
Still lets say you did stop all new guns sales. we still have 270,000,000 guns out there. say you asked people to turn their guns in? how many would really do it 60% 50% my guess is it would be more like 15%
but lets just say you got half 50% would still leave 135,000,000 firearms out there. that still leaves both the military and cops out gunned by a very large percent.