It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Christians want so badly to be persecuted?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Why do Christians want so badly to think they are persecuted? Why is it when their beliefs are examined with a critical eye, they throw around accusations of hate, and act like they are being "attacked"?

I've been accused of "hating Christians" and "spreading anti-Christian bias" several times on this board, on one occasion for providing some historical analysis of early Christian history (which included nothing hateful at all), and on another occasion pointing out that Muslims often have more reverence for Jesus Christ than many Christians do. I've noticed this kind of persecution complex occurs in many corners of the internet not just ATS.

Why do you people want so badly to be persecuted? Is it because Jesus predicted all of his followers would be, and now you need make sure that prediction is fulfilled so it retains its credibility? Is it that you think being persecuted gives your belief system more validity? Or do you honestly believe you should be able to declare certain things to be true without anyone being allowed to question them?

Sure, there is real persecution in many places in the world, especially in Islamic countries. There are places where Christians (along with atheists and all non-muslims) are jailed and sometimes even killed. That's real persecution. But being made fun of or critiqued on the internet while you're posting on your iPad in your mom's minivan at the McDonald's drive through on your way home from youth group is not persecution, no matter how hard you try to make it out to be.

And can we please put to rest the conspiracy that Christianity is about to be criminalized and stamped out by the government or whatever? Christianity is a multi-trillion dollar commercial industry; no way are the elite going to give up their biggest cash cow. The world's number one most popular religion is not going anywhere any time soon. In most places in the world it's growing rapidly; in China it's even beginning to be accepted into the mainstream.

So can we please end this victim mentality already? When a topic regarding religion in general or Christianity in particular comes up, I'm going to provide my thoughts, critique, and analysis in a manner that I believe makes the most worthwhile intellectual contribution to the topic at hand. It may not be something you personally agree with or want to hear, but that doesn't mean I "hate" you or am "attacking" you. Your beliefs are not immune to criticism.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Because the bible says that they will be persecuted for being christians so they look for things to feel persecuted about so that the bible prophecy will be fullfilled. feeling like they are being persecuted gives them some kind of validation that they are good christians and acceptable in jesus`s eyes.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Why do people who have professed to not believe in or have no interest in Christ or Christianity have so much interest in Christians and their beliefs and behaviors?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

We can't put this persecution conspiracy to rest yet.
We still have a "War on Christmas" to perpetrate!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

While that's true and I think that's most of it. It also only appears that Christians WANT to be persecuted. I mean, you say one negative thing about a black person, you're a racist. One negative thing about a Jewish person you're an anti-Semite, etc. So I think it's all in context in a way.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
Why do people who have professed to not believe in or have no interest in Christ or Christianity have so much interest in Christians and their beliefs and behaviors?

I haven't professed such a thing, so I can't speak for those people. But I have an interest in discerning reality, and allowing others the opportunity to do the same. One prerequisite to discerning reality is being allowed to critically analyze claims made by religious groups, without fear of backlash for doing so.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

Why do Christians want so badly to think they are persecuted? Why is it when their beliefs are examined with a critical eye, they throw around accusations of hate, and act like they are being "attacked"?

Firstly, there are Christians who unjustly face persecution.
My heart goes out to them. And God will judge those who cause them harm... regardless of what religion they claim to follow.

There are also many Christians who are like the self righteous Pharisees, who Jesus condemned as being like wolves disguised as sheep and like whitewashed graves holding rot and decay inside. They claim they are being victimized for any reason they can find...even if its as silly as having their faith questioned on an internet forum.

Ironically, many of these Christians who believe they are being victimized.... also happen to support the very people who insult Jesus by calling him a false prophet. Ever noticed how most (evangelical) Christians fanatically support Israel... a state comprised of Jews who are theologically incompatible with Jesus? Have you ever come across a people who adore and support those who insult their central religious figure?

And can we please put to rest the conspiracy that Christianity is about to be criminalized and stamped out by the government or whatever?

Yes, please.

edit on 18-12-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Do not be the spark that lights the fire and spread hatred like a firestorm, live and let live, we all need to be kinder to one-another.

Be careful with you words, and examine your motivation.

Are you motivated by love or motivated by hatred?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

I'm motivated by knowledge, and freedom.
edit on 18-12-2012 by SilentKoala because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Good point. I think some of them do things purposely to get persecuted. Most aren't like that though, they do have inner convictions though. That is just part of the conditioning to promote Humility and keep people more human. Conscience is a very necessary part of society, this is learned through inner conviction.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala

I'm motivated by knowledge, and freedom.
edit on 18-12-2012 by SilentKoala because: (no reason given)

Why do some people feel the need to persecute Christians?

You are kinda saying it is their fault they are persecuted, and in many cases it isn't.

I never had any desire to be persecuted, I am to bullheaded for that, but I am also a very alternative in my religious beliefs, having studied many different faiths.

Christians are not as ignorant as many would LIKE to believe, I was myself surprised by the vast library in the home of a pastor I cleaned for, or take the education of Catholic priest, I know how much schooling they have to have because my son looked into it.
edit on 093131p://bTuesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I don't know; you should ask the people doing the persecuting. I suppose there are some who are so brainwashed by their own ideas that they feel the need to impose them onto others.

You are kinda saying it is their fault they are persecuted, and in many cases it isn't.

Not at all. No one deserves to be persecuted. However, every belief system should be subject to critical examination.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Many Christian do feel the need to be persecuted and manufacture persecution, provoke ire by cursing their adversaries to hell and lord over non believers as being deceived by Satan, accuse them of having hardened hearts through God's will and condemning their acts of charity and kindness as "filthy rags before God".

These kinds of Christians wear their perceived persecution as badges of honor and believe they are gaining treasures in heaven.

Note this example. This post was leveled at me for questioning the Mosiac Biblical laws that require the death penalty when broken.

She's got an axe to grind.

That hate is so delicious. I can hear my treasure pilng up.

Just as Balaam cursed Israel for Balaak,

her curses will be our blessings.

It's aight though, we will be here for her and help her through her issues. This kind of hate doesn't come without serious mental issues.

Notice how this poster believes treasures are given to Christians who provoke hate.

edit on 18-12-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
e'ryone wanna be a martyr!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

Wow. So, you are being labelled with mental issues?
Unreal.

As for the OP (S/F, by the way)....
I think they are afraid. In the face of so much rational, reasonable research and study, being made more and more accessible to the general public, where the Bible is being shown over and over as a forged, out-of-sequence, mistranslated, redacted, and edited nonsensical contradiction, it is really unnerving for those who have always only ever swallowed what their "church leader of choice" has told them.

It's much easier to cry "Victim!" than to learn.

EDIT:
It's about being too paralyzed to be willing to stretch outside of one's comfort zone. Doing so is a growth mechanism....fear of, and refusal to, go outside one's most familiar and closely-held values is a symptom of frailty of character. IMO.

edit on 18-12-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Christians are not as ignorant as many would LIKE to believe, I was myself surprised by the vast library in the home of a pastor I cleaned for, or take the education of Catholic priest, I know how much schooling they have to have because my son looked into it.

A library in the home of a pastor, or the curriculum of a Catholic Seminary student do NOT reflect the knowledge and background of "parishioners". Many 'Christians' that I have come across throughout my life have only one book in their homes. Only one.

What ever happened to Liberal Arts education? In my opinion, ALL MAJOR RELIGIONS should be taught right along with history, social studies (or, to be more specific, included in those classes/courses). Knowing ONLY English, or ONLY the Bible, or ONLY the way to get around your neighborhood is a limited and naive way of living. Isn't it time the global population began to converse and come to some common ground?

The fact that many major universities are dropping Liberal Arts and Humanities programs is a sign of the degradation of our civilization. If one has no broad background in Civilization, one is in no position to declare they know better than those who have studied mankind as far back as we are able.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I am a Christian, and I do not want to be persecuted. However, we live in an evil world and evil people despise good. Therefore, Christians are persecuted, mocked, belittled and view as crazy nuts.

For me, I have love for the world and wish other's could feel the happiness and joy that I know God has bestowed upon me and my family. Persecution is really unnecessary.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Why do Christians want so badly to think they are persecuted?

The Old Testament is a collection of stories that at their core come from the perspective of the historically scapegoated Jewish people. They felt like victims, and in many circumstances they actually were targeted and victimized unfairly; so much of their religion grew out a need to expose the mechanism and intricacies of scapegoating.

In the ancient world, many societies revolved around the single victim mechanism (scapegoating) in order to abate tensions within the various nested groups. Their mythology often supported it, and the Jewish mythology was (albeit somewhat reactionary at times) counter to that. It was the other perspective. This culminated in many ways with the Christ story and the crucifixion. It was the ultimate exposure of scapegoating and an attempt to render it powerless.

Why is it when their beliefs are examined with a critical eye, they throw around accusations of hate, and act like they are being "attacked"?

Because the entire belief system centers around the exposure of victimization and finding honor in it. Most modern Christians rather miss the point however, they carry it like a badge and wallow around in it instead of realizing that the point is kindness/compassion/growth/triumph in spite of it.

So can we please end this victim mentality already?

Nope. It's too intrinsic in the dogma. It runs as a usually subconscious thread through the entire paradigm.

When a topic regarding religion in general or Christianity in particular comes up, I'm going to provide my thoughts, critique, and analysis in a manner that I believe makes the most worthwhile intellectual contribution to the topic at hand. It may not be something you personally agree with or want to hear, but that doesn't mean I "hate" you or am "attacking" you. Your beliefs are not immune to criticism.

Wonderful. That is valid. Good luck.
edit on 18-12-2012 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by tonybotzo
e'ryone wanna be a martyr!

Modern day martyrs, they aren`t being nailed to crosses or feed to the lions, they are living in their comfy homes and driving their SUV`s to church but they feel they are being "persecuted" for being christians. The christians of old would love to be "persecuted" the way these modern day christians are.
Jesus and all the christians of old who really were persecuted are probably looking down from heaven and rolling their eyes at all these modern christians who are crying about being "persecuted".
They all want to be martyrs for jesus but they don`t want to get nailed to a cross or feed to a lion to do it.
They are more comfy being martyr lite where they sit in their churches and complain about the mean evil people who are "persecuting" them.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

However, every belief system should be subject to critical examination.

Some are "permitted" to be discussed and examined and some are not. Evolution is a belief system and there are many instances and situations where people cannot discuss it, as you put it critically because the members who do believe it will get defensive and take it (for some odd reason) personally.

Remember anything you have not seen with your own eyes is a belief, it is taken on faith. Also remember people are biased.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join