It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK to name part of Antarctica Queen Elizabeth Land

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by thepupils

You would have to be in your seventies to remember then.

The US claims part of the Arctic. Where do you stand on that?

I can't be bothered as an American with Antarctica. I'm to occupied with buying up all surplus twinkles, ding dongs, and zingers before *gasps* they become extinct. I can't be bothered with some frozen rock, ooh did you hear Miley Cyrus might take over the fat, smart mouthed kid in "Two & a Half Men?" Imagine that! Hey did you catch the Cowboys game? Etc....

As a "fat,lazy, stupid" American I could care less that we own parts of Antarctica. Just as long as those "tea & crumpet" munchers get their hands off our land we took fare & square!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
This a weird and perhaps unfounded pet peeve... Shouldn't it be A historic, not an historic? At least in the country that knows how to English? Do we say AN history lesson? Do we say AN hemophiliac? No. People think it's OK because they say an istoric.

My theory is this;
The whole point of the "A before consonant, AN before vowel" rule is ease of pronunciation.
So the distinction between consonant and vowel should be controlled by pronunciation, not spelling.
An opening "EU" is effectively a "Y", so it is easier and so acceptable to use "A"- "A Eunuch" "A European agreement ".
Conversely, if an opening "h" is almost unpronounced, the word effectively begins with a vowel, so it is easier and so acceptable to use AN- "An hotel" "An historic moment".

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Nations that have territory directly facing Antactica have made claims on Antarctica, some overlap other claims.

None of which are stricly legally set in stone in accordance with International Law and all claimants must adhere to the internationall recognised Antarctic Treaty.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by thepupils

As a "fat,lazy, stupid" American I could care less that we own parts of Antarctica.

As the grammar police seem to be on patrol in this thread,
, I think you'll find it should be I couldn't care less.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by thepupils

I can't be bothered as an American with Antarctica. I'm to occupied with buying up all surplus twinkles, ding dongs, and zingers before *gasps* they become extinct. I can't be bothered with some frozen rock, ooh did you hear Miley Cyrus might take over the fat, smart mouthed kid in "Two & a Half Men?" Imagine that! Hey did you catch the Cowboys game? Etc....

As a "fat,lazy, stupid" American I could care less that we own parts of Antarctica. Just as long as those "tea & crumpet" munchers get their hands off our land we took fare & square!

Originally posted by Freeborn

As the grammar police seem to be on patrol in this thread,
, I think you'll find it should be I couldn't care less.

And yet you let them get away with 'to' instead of 'too', and 'fare' instead of 'fair'.

Hand in your grammar police badge at the door please.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I wonder who the idiots in the British cabinet were who thought this would be a great idea. Perhaps they're trying to relive scenes from glory years of the past? Either way, it makes the British look silly.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Did you see them

Does anyone know if the British crew in the Antarctic have started drilling into that lake? Bit of a coincedence tho

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Also do you think they have had the queen claim the land in prep for another world war? Only another view.

Ted

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ted1987
reply to post by Did you see them

Does anyone know if the British crew in the Antarctic have started drilling into that lake? Bit of a coincedence tho

They started a few days ago - but last I heard was they had a problem and have had to stop.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Is there any sites that show there progress?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ted1987

Also do you think they have had the queen claim the land in prep for another world war?

The UK has had a claim for decades now, since the same time as Norway and most of the other claimants - all that's changed is that they have decided to name it in honour of QEII, no change in the claim at all - and how can it be considered preperation for some alleged oncoming world war?

I'd consider allegations of this being part of the political maneuvering to secure mineral rights in Antarctica more credible.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join