It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Must Watch; The true sentiment of the British!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Actually the guy doing most of the talking in this video is not your average Brit and certainly did not represent the views of the majority after we suffered our own horrific school shooting at Dunblane, the event which lead to the banning of all handguns in the uk - he is Mike Yardley a well known representative of the pro gun lobby who made numerous tv appearances after the tragedy to try and persuade the nation that keeping guns in private ownership was a good idea, and because he did not represent the true views of the British public who had by then decided that ONE child's life lost to a gun wielding maniac was too many let alone 16 - he and his gun toting supporters failed. As a person who has endured the horror of losing a family member in the first mass shooting in this country in 1987, and has also spent time with the parents of the murdered Dunblane children, whose grief I will never ever forget, I find it incomprehensible that in the USA you can sit back and watch the innocent smiling faces of murdered schoolchildren appear on your tv screens over and over and over and yet do nothing. That is how most Brits feel right now we are certainly not demanding the return of private gun ownership .

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg
I walked into Liverpool Street station, a mainline train station in London yesterday. There were two armed policemen by the entrance and I can tell you that as a Brit the sight of them made me feel intensely uncomfortable. I do not like seeing armed Bobbies. This is the UK, not bloody France.

I feel more comfortable knowing they are visually about, I reckon this Country would have big problems if a group went Mubai style in a city. Whilst we have quite a few police armed and other units that can be called upon I reckon it would take too long to take any meaningful action before many were massacred. When the shooting started we would be hiding behind the same wall as the unarmed "bobby" would be.

the world is not a nice place and criminals and terrorists must be met full on.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Here's is the True Sentiment of a British Person not the whole but some may agree.......
We see a percentage of the US as still living as though they are in the wildwest, this has also imbued your criminal element, much to your detriment. You raise aloft people to positions of power that also carry elements of the above ethos into the Greater World much to our detriment.
In short, we see a portion of the US as living in the past... Arrogant, Ignorant, wasteful and violent. I just hope those percentages are smaller than they appear to be.
Prime example: UFO discussion on ATS.. Moon Being A Base; Lets send nukes and blow it up... words to that effect.. Notice the lack of any thought of Negotiation first... A silly example maybe but you get the idea.
I will stress words in this post "Portion of" and "Percentages"...

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by digital01anarchy

Originally posted by Wongbeedman

Originally posted by ajay59
reply to post by Freeborn

IMO you are an obvious disinfo agent who quite readily came up with CIA from mention of Langley, something that many here couldn't do. I could think of no other reason my British brothers would be so bothered by our second amendment right.

And I'm f**king Bond, James Bond. Us here over at mi6 have been getting quite worried about the mental health of our little American brothers, and we'd like to remind them that, its not the 1700s anymore, an old musket is entirely different to a modern handgun, its no longer acceptable to keep natives as slaves and to sell your wives on the market

Regards,
edit on 19-12-2012 by Wongbeedman because: (no reason given)

Dear James bond,
This is Jason Bourne you have been replaced! good luck fighting pussy galore, and a guy with a sharp hat!
you should worry about your own problems! PS Good luck trying to keep up that straight spy image while drinking a Appletini, Your predecessor Jason bourne
edit on 19-12-2012 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

Who the hell is Jason Bourne? I dont need a predecessor, i regenerate every few films like doctor who! Go tell those Russians to worry about their own problems, actually go tell your gov to worry about your own problems too.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I live in a particularly average area. Not top, not bottom. However there are some rough areas around and I do know some undesirables and I hear quite a few stories, how embellished they are is debatable. The only 'gun crime' I have ever heard of is people being 'knee capped' in the 80's/90's. the most recent incidents that are close to me are a stabbing (with scissors) of my cousin-in-law and a newsagent robbery at screwdriver point (which was solely used on the till/register.

It would be interesting to see if the figures for the rise in gun crime included the new laws on ownership. Bet it did.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by tigercat1971

Originally posted by squarehead666
Chill out guys.....Something really bad just happened over there (I think we can all agree on that regardless of our opinions on the cause) and emotions are running high.

A little more consideration and understanding wouldn't hurt.....These were kids FFS!

It is worth pointing out as a matter of historical accuracy that the UK actually lost slightly more lives in WWII than the USA:

USA - 418,500
UK - 450,900

By comparison:

USSR - 23,400,000

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 18-12-2012 by squarehead666 because: content

It might help our American cousins to see these figures, but your woefully inaccurate regarding the British deaths. It's impossible to be 100% accurate but it's generally considered to be between 4 & 12 million British who died during this conflict.
edit on 18-12-2012 by tigercat1971 because: Posted incorrectly

Actually I think you may find that the figure you are quoting is for the UK & Commonwealth as a whole.....Do you have a link to the source for your stats?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

IMO you are an obvious disinfo agent who quite readily came up with CIA from mention of Langley, something that many here couldn't do. I could think of no other reason my British brothers would be so bothered by our second amendment right.

And I'm f**king Bond, James Bond. Us here over at mi6 have been getting quite worried about the mental health of our little American brothers, and we'd like to remind them that, its not the 1700s anymore, an old musket is entirely different to a modern handgun, its no longer acceptable to keep natives as slaves and to sell your wives on the market

Regards,

Dear James bond,
This is Jason Bourne you have been replaced! good luck fighting pussy galore, and a guy with a sharp hat!
you should worry about your own problems! PS Good luck trying to keep up that straight spy image while drinking a Appletini, Your predecessor Jason bourne

Who the hell is Jason Bourne? I dont need a predecessor, i regenerate every few films like doctor who! Go tell those Russians to worry about their own problems, actually go tell your gov to worry about your own problems too.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Regards,

Dear James bond,

Doctor who lol and james bond is boring talk about a concept that has been done to death lol nice car and maybe two or three good looking women with a mega budget set in Europe or the middle east or Asia. Gee i wonder if the reason you like James bond is because hes mi6 and from England? And before you get all Americans know nothing of foreign films, Battle royal "Japanese", District 13 "French" old boy "Korean" , i could go on and i know these films are very well known but not so much in America where they make mock versions of them like battle royal = American hunger games. The Bourne ultimatum is a grimmer, darker, nastier, better version of james bond without all the flash of expensive cars, gizmos and hot women.
edit on 20-12-2012 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

1. The English Civil War was a conflict of elites. The counter elite in Parliament were fighting for power with the monarchy. The French revolution followed similar lines. The closest Britain has come to a popular uprising was during the early 1800's with the Chartist movement.

2. Members of the American general population and not all by any means took up arms to fight the British with the help of the French.

3. The end of Habeus Corpus, military detention, Wako, Ruby Ridge,... the list goes on.

4. Is it relevant now. Not really. You could argue that the Second Amendment is an anachronism. It's out-dated. why? Because many Americans own arms to plink off rounds at the range and if they really cared about defending themselves against tyrannical government then they'd be out in the streets in numbers or protesting instead of polishing their German made firearms.

But while the Second Amendment exists as a safeguard against tyrannical government then that principal must be upheld. The people must have the moral and physical authority to defend themselves even if the will has long since diminished.

The elections are a farce - an illusion of choice. How many working class people voted for Obama just because he looks the part while all the while he is bailing out the banks that stole what little they had. People elected Obama because it was easier to hope for change and give that authority figure the responsibility than to try and effect real change for themselves.

Bush and Obama are peas in a pod. Obama's role was to avert an uprising. The first black President - surely the masses wouldn't revolt against that - there's hope after all...

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
nevermind
edit on 12/21/12 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I think it's kind of hard to compare the two countries strictly off population, murder rate or crime rate. The US has five times the population and while I don't know the numbers offhand, I would wager there are far more areas in the United States with high population densities compared to the UK. Those are the areas where crime, gun related or otherwise is most prevalent. Even London, with it's substantial population would rank far down the list of urban population density if it were located in the US. NYC would be roughly equal in population but probably has nearly twice the population density.

Heck, I'll look it up and compare some:

NYC - Population density of 27,012.5/sq mi

en.wikipedia.org...

London - Population density of 13,466/sq mi

en.wikipedia.org...

List of US cities by population density:

en.wikipedia.org...

Going by this list, there are 49 cities in the US with higher population densities than London and while I'm not familiar with all the urban areas in the UK, I would imagine London probably tops the list for the UK.

There are around 300,000,000 privately owned firearms(Not counting those obtained illicitly) in the US and in 2008 there were 11,493 homicide deaths* attributed to guns. Let's assume some of those were multiple homicides, so let's say 10,500 firearms were involved. That would mean for every gun involved in a homicide, there were 28,571 that were not.

* www.cdc.gov...

The vast majority of legal gun owners in this country are law abiding people that use their weapons for self-defense, hunting or sport. Many of the gun related crimes in this country are committed by people that obtain their weapons illegally. These are people that don't care about laws to begin with so no ban would affect them. A ban on alcohol didn't stop people from obtaining it. It begat violence and in the end, the people that wanted it enough obtained it. The war on drugs begat even more violence over a longer time frame and in the end, the people that want the drugs obtain them.

You cannot legislate something out of existence, and you certainly can't legislate evil or mentally unstable people out of existence. They always have and always will exist. The tools they use may have changed over time and yes, firearms have the potential to make them more dangerous but one way or the other, they will find a means to their end, however warped and twisted that end may be.

JMO.

*Disclaimer* I don't post much on ATS these days so if I don't revisit this thread immediately after a response, it doesn't mean I'm a hit and run poster. I just don't frequent the site much.
edit on 23-12-2012 by Graybeard because: Added links.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oouthere
I lived in England for about a year and a half, found it very peaceful and conservative. Did not hear about any violent crimes in my area during that time. I believe gun control can work in a place like England since it is physically isolated but not in a place like the U.S. where there is simply too many borders.

Every area has to find what works best for them. I simply say let the cops turn a blind eye to vigilantes for awhile and a lot of crime will stop quickly.

Rich

I hope you enjoyed your sojourn over here in England. Could I just pull you up on one point though?

The US, as I understand it, only has 2 borders, Canada and Mexico - much like England has 2 borders, Scotland and Wales.

I'm slightly saddened that you spent a year and a half here yet still didn't grasp the difference between England and the United Kingdom. The UK actually has one border with another country, Eire.

I'll stop being pedantic now.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Regards,

Dear James bond,

Doctor who lol and james bond is boring talk about a concept that has been done to death lol nice car and maybe two or three good looking women with a mega budget set in Europe or the middle east or Asia. Gee i wonder if the reason you like James bond is because hes mi6 and from England? And before you get all Americans know nothing of foreign films, Battle royal "Japanese", District 13 "French" old boy "Korean" , i could go on and i know these films are very well known but not so much in America where they make mock versions of them like battle royal = American hunger games. The Bourne ultimatum is a grimmer, darker, nastier, better version of james bond without all the flash of expensive cars, gizmos and hot women.
edit on 20-12-2012 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

We were joking, why did you feel the need to prove that the Bourne series is better than James bond

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
Not a great selection of people to interview for this video...

Who will have old style views on politics, lets see... anyone over the age of 50!

Not 1 single young person seen in that video, even the hidden policeman said he joined in the 80's so hes old too.

this video is a great example of deception, I'm sure the people who made it was well aware of the types of people to speak to to get their point across I could go out and make a similar video but I'll only speak to well educated college folk and see what they have to say...

People that are 50 and older need more protection than the younger folks.
Without guns the crime rate will go up. Just imagine you're a burglar scoping out houses to rob. One of the things you size up about the people living there is if they are the type to own guns, and if they are the type, you don't break into that house.

Take away the right to own guns and EVERY HOUSE is ripe to be robbed.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join