It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dogs Sent to Newtown to Comfort Grieving

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

Found this uplifting story and figured we could all use some happy news.

A team of specially trained dogs just journeyed 800 miles to help grieving children and adults at funerals and other gatherings this week in Newtown, Conn. The dogs all come from the K-9 Comfort Dog Ministry at Lutheran Church Charities, based near Chicago. The dogs were present yesterday at Newtown High School when President Obama spoke about the recent massacre.

"Dogs are non-judgmental. They are loving. They are accepting of anyone," Tim Hetzner, president of the organization, told the Chicago Tribune. "It creates the atmosphere for people to share." People and kids often pet the dogs while they talk or pray with the handlers. Sometimes those who are grieving prefer just to spend quiet time with the dogs, receiving comfort from their assuring presence. The dogs are deployed during national disasters. But they also handle daily matters where their soothing help is needed, such as at hospitals and nursing homes. Each dog carries a business card listing its name, Facebook page, twitter account and e-mail address so that those who connect can stay in touch.

I think this is wonderful. I know when I have a rough day, I love getting "fuzz therapy" from my cat. Nothing heals quite like unconditional love.

Just thought I'd share. Hug a furry friend today, ATS!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I think that is a great idea. I know my dogs have helped me through some bad times.
Hope they find some comfort with them around.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
First time I've smiled in days. THANK YOU for posting.

In the article it states that there's a K-9 Comfort Dog Ministry ran through a church.

That's gotta be the most adorable sentence I've ever read.

Fantastic idea!

S&F

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
This is beautiful
dogs seem to develop a deep sense of 'knowing'. It makes my heart smile.
Thanks for sharing a lovely story

edit on 18-12-2012 by feelingconnected because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I love how the one dog is laying on its side, as if just waiting for the scratching to commence....

And they all seem to be retrievers? Interesting.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
*Sob*

edit on 18-12-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I notice most are retrievers. Such a sweet bunch.

I love your term, fuzz therapy.

I cried all friday night. My cat slept with me cheek to cheek half the night.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I got the term fuzz therapy from a Calvin and Hobbes comic strip. It fits, you know?

Our animals know when we are grieving. My cat laid on top of me all night that night. Right now I'm in bed with the flu and she's right here with me.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Golden Retrievers are some of the sweetest dogs in the world. Gentle and loving. Just wonderful. Best therapy for kids. Unconditional love. This kinda got me. Off to snuggle my buddy.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

awwww, you are going to make me cry Domo.

It is nice that there is such a group out there. I always wish I had a pet amicable enough to take to nursing homes. The interned seniors always love the animal visits.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Part of my grad work required me to visit nursing homes. I'll never forget, the homes that had two or three pet cats or dogs, the residents were calmer and seemed happier. One home had a gorgeous wall aquarium, and there were several residents who would spend their time watching the fish.

Animals help. They really do.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Awww, it's golden therapy, the best kind. I don't think they could have picked a better way to comfort those kids than a sweet, gentle dog.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Bump bc it's a feel good thread and we can all use some cheer.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Bump bc it's a feel good thread and we can all use some cheer.

I agree, puppy love working its magic

top topics

join